UAB Becomes 1st D1 Football Team to Join Players Association

SNAFU

"Reaching a bargaining agreement would be simpler and more efficient if players were represented by a single organization like the players' associations that exist in professional sports, says Athletes.org (AO) founder Jim Cavale. His company is one of several entities competing to serve that role if bargaining occurs."

Reactions: esarmstrong
The article says Coach Dilfer scheduled a meeting with the players and the organization. I can't imagine he did that without AD Mark Ingram being onboard also.

IMO, that's an odd stance for the school to take and encourage the players to organize to prepare for collective bargaining. I'm not sure what the school's angle in this could be.

Reactions: VolTull and KHVol
It's UAB. Until a P5 school does something, I'm not concerned.

gonna be interesting to watch the reaction here - the people that didn't want Dilfer gonna have a lot more ammo.

Reactions: KHVol
I could see it at schools where NIL money isn’t that much but I highly doubt guys at bigger programs making hundreds of thousands want any part of it

Dilfer is the Stay at Home, Wine Mom; that is waving the LBGT flag for College Football. He's irrelevant in real life; but he feels cool on facebook now.

Reactions: KHVol
The article says Coach Dilfer scheduled a meeting with the players and the organization. I can't imagine he did that without AD Mark Ingram being onboard also.

IMO, that's an odd stance for the school to take and encourage the players to organize to prepare for collective bargaining. I'm not sure what the school's angle in this could be.
Only thing I can think of is they are trying to get ahead of the curve. Or they are actually listening to their players, gasp.

Reactions: VolNExile
I don't see anything good coming from this. I too believe it could very well be the end of college sports.
Except the money making ones.

And except that college sports existed before they were on TV.

For all the "purists" out there, congrats you are about to get what you claim to want. Real amateurs, not getting paid, no support from the university and not much access for the fans.

Exactly. Do we think UAB is going to be able to pay players?? Their attendance is like-----5K per home game (Maybe) They have to be losing money.

Exactly. Do we think UAB is going to be able to pay players?? Their attendance is like-----5K per home game (Maybe) They have to be losing money.
I believe Dilfer is positioning UAB to get a piece of the Tuscaloosa pie via the state's association with both schools.

Pay players in Tuscaloosa then you'll pay players at UAB also or we'll sue via our organization.

Essentially all of this is going to force most major money making college programs to dissociate from the state systems or share the money. They will probably choose the pro route and just lease the brand, logo, and facilities from the schools.

I believe Dilfer is positioning UAB to get a piece of the Tuscaloosa pie via the state's association with both schools.

Pay players in Tuscaloosa then you'll pay players at UAB also or we'll sue via our organization.

Essentially all of this is going to force most major money making college programs to dissociate from the state systems or share the money. They will probably choose the pro route and just lease the brand, logo, and facilities from the schools.

If you think the University of Alabama is sharing Money with Uab, brother you need to re-think that.

Reactions: LouderVol
If you think the University of Alabama is sharing Money with Uab, brother you need to re-think that.
I doubt that strategy works for UAB athletes, but I can them pressuring the state and UA system to provide a "reasonable base pay" for all athlete employees of the UA system, basically piggybacking on Tuscaloosa's need to pay well.

I think direct compensation and employee status will have to lead to some separation from the states because the "next NCAA" will likely be some kind of pro model and while I see it as strange for a University to own a pro franchise, there may be legal issues with a state controlling a pro franchise.

It's all a nightmare and I wish it would stay in court forever but Baker seems determined to just settle up and completely butcher any control the NCAA still has.

I doubt that strategy works for UAB athletes, but I can them pressuring the state and UA system to provide a "reasonable base pay" for all athlete employees of the UA system, basically piggybacking on Tuscaloosa's need to pay well.

I think direct compensation and employee status will have to lead to some separation from the states because the "next NCAA" will likely be some kind of pro model and while I see it as strange for a University to own a pro franchise, there may be legal issues with a state controlling a pro franchise.

It's all a nightmare and I wish it would stay in court forever but Baker seems determined to just settle up and completely butcher any control the NCAA still has.
how are the UAB players going to make UA pay them?

They are separate schools. Employees of UAB aren't paid from UA coffers. UA professors aren't professors at UAB. students at UA don't take classes at UAB. they have maybe one shared employee at the top, their chancellor/provost or whatever that is over the whole system. otherwise they are completely separate entities. lawsuits from one don't hit the other unless they are also named.

as usual you have created a completely fabricated situation.

UA will pay their players $500k.
UAB will pay their players $500.
D3 schools will pay their players $5.

That is how it will work. maybe federal or state minimum wage comes into play. just like the real world, different schools are going to offer different pay for the same "work". the high end pay jobs will fill up the fastest, just like the real world. players will have to "settle" for lower pay than someone else is making, just like the real world.

its not a complicated concept.

Reactions: volfanbill

VN Store

Back