SEC TV schedule 2024 game time selection process?

VOLSBEERS1992

For years when the SEC has been with CBS, CBS has always been able to pick the best SEC game for the 3:30 slot and then the next best game was usually picked by the ESPN 7pm slot and on it went etc.

Then there was the option CBS had where they could broadcast 2 games on a saturday at 3:30 and 8, but they could only do that once or twice per year.

I know individual games are not selected for times by the networks until 2 weeks before but do we know in general what the new TV time slots will look like with the new ABC/ESPN deal for the SEC starting this year? Like is the #1 game in the SEC going to be at 7pm on ABC or something?

I was looking earlier at some of the SEC slates for different weeks and saw where Tenn/Bama and UGA/Texas are the same day so it got me thinking about game times and I can't seem to find anything online about they are going do this year with what channel games are broadcast and what time.

For years when the SEC has been with CBS, CBS has always been able to pick the best SEC game for the 3:30 slot and then the next best game was usually picked by the ESPN 7pm slot and on it went etc.

Then there was the option CBS had where they could broadcast 2 games on a saturday at 3:30 and 8, but they could only do that once or twice per year.

I know individual games are not selected for times by the networks until 2 weeks before but do we know in general what the new TV time slots will look like with the new ABC/ESPN deal for the SEC starting this year? Like is the #1 game in the SEC going to be at 7pm on ABC or something?

I was looking earlier at some of the SEC slates for different weeks and saw where Tenn/Bama and UGA/Texas are the same day so it got me thinking about game times and I can't seem to find anything online about they are going do this year with what channel games are broadcast and what time.
@DeerPark12 would probably be the most likely to be able to give you an answer on this (presuming it’s even been made public).

Q: Will the SEC's best football game each week air on ABC at 3:30 p.m. ET?
A:
Not necessarily. The conference's top matchup each week will no longer be locked into the late afternoon window. Instead, ESPN will have flexibility to position such games in the window and on the platform that best maximizes exposure.

Q: Will there be a regular SEC football game on ABC in the late afternoon?
A:
Yes, there will be a regular late afternoon game on ABC at 3:30 p.m. ET.

Q: How many times will the SEC appear on ABC Saturday Night Football?
A:
No specific number each year. We are thrilled to add SEC games to ABC Saturday Night Football and expect SEC games to be a meaningful part of the franchise throughout the season.

Q: How will the scheduling process for SEC games work in comparison to other conferences?
A:
Each conference selection process varies slightly. An advantage with SEC is that ESPN will be the exclusive rights holder, allowing us to utilize all of our platforms to maximize flexibility of games. Games will continue to air in the early afternoon, late afternoon and in primetime windows throughout the season. More game windows will be known prior to the start of the season, while still preserving an adequate level of week-to-week flexibility that has long been a pillar of college football's growth and success on television. For any games that are exclusively on our digital platforms, the school will determine the start times.

Q: Will there still be noon ET/11 a.m. CT games?
A:
Yes, but those games will be predetermined prior to the start of the season.

Q: How many games can be exclusive to ESPN+?
A:
A maximum of one per school per year in football and two per school per year (20 total/year) in men's basketball. Only non-conference games are permitted

We had heard from fans and campus leaders, within the changing environment of fan attendance, having some certainty was really important,” Sankey says. “We anticipate during the summer the ability to project out more than half of our kickoff times. Even when we don’t have certainty, we have some window assignments. We narrow the range. We might move from 2:30 p.m. to 11 a.m. [CT] or 2:30 to 6 p.m., but it will stay in that range.

Snip

A:
A maximum of one per school per year in football and two per school per year (20 total/year) in men's basketball. Only non-conference games are permitted

This is interesting...we have three such games that would seem to fit as ESPN+ games this year

8/31 UT Chattanooga
9/14 Kent St
11/23 UTEP

I would GUESS UT Chat is the one that ultimately is our ESPN+ game.

Reactions: StarRaider
A:
No specific number each year. We are thrilled to add SEC games to ABC Saturday Night Football and expect SEC games to be a meaningful part of the franchise throughout the season.

I prefer afternoon games, but this part bothers me a little. With CBS, the SEC was always the #1 priority, and they clearly valued the product and treated it with great respect. We are just more 'product' for the whores at ESPN, a "meaningful part" of their CFB broadcasting.

I think the at times irrational hatred for Danielson prevented people from appreciating how good the CBS broadcasts were and the reverence they had for the conference and our traditional rivalries. Sankey & Co. went for the bigger 'bag', and now we're going to see what it's like to be just a part of the ESPN machine.

Anyone know if the longhorn network is allowed to continue after texas officially joins? I would hope not, but I have not heard anything

This is interesting...we have three such games that would seem to fit as ESPN+ games this year

8/31 UT Chattanooga
9/14 Kent St
11/23 UTEP

I would GUESS UT Chat is the one that ultimately is our ESPN+ game.
You have to look at all the SEC games to take a guess. For example, the week we play UTC you would think the other possible ESPN+ games include Auburn/AAMU, MSU/EKU and USC/ODU. If you can only be on once this will be a fun exercise for execs at ESPN to put up all the non conference games and pick the ESPN+ for each week.

The weakest game by far the week UT plays Kent St. is the UT/Kent St matchup.

However, It will be interesting to see if they pick some better non-conference games for ESPN+ in an attempt to drive subscriptions. I have not seen that it will be the worst games on ESPN+, only that they will be non- conference games.

"drive subscriptions" = making stacks of cash.... priority 1 through 10 for the Disneys.

I prefer afternoon games, but this part bothers me a little. With CBS, the SEC was always the #1 priority, and they clearly valued the product and treated it with great respect. We are just more 'product' for the whores at ESPN, a "meaningful part" of their CFB broadcasting.

I think the at times irrational hatred for Danielson prevented people from appreciating how good the CBS broadcasts were and the reverence they had for the conference and our traditional rivalries. Sankey & Co. went for the bigger 'bag', and now we're going to see what it's like to be just a part of the ESPN machine.
"We could have a 3:30 ABC game and a game on SEC Network at 4 and a game on ESPN at 4,” Sankey says. Feel better.

Not hatred of Danielson just plain old dislike, same as I have for Fowler. They openly show their bias. I avoid listening to them.

There is probably more of an irrational dislike of of ESPN. Ex. Your post

Q: Will the SEC's best football game each week air on ABC at 3:30 p.m. ET?
A:
Not necessarily. The conference's top matchup each week will no longer be locked into the late afternoon window. Instead, ESPN will have flexibility to position such games in the window and on the platform that best maximizes exposure.

Q: Will there be a regular SEC football game on ABC in the late afternoon?
A:
Yes, there will be a regular late afternoon game on ABC at 3:30 p.m. ET.

A:

Q: How will the scheduling process for SEC games work in comparison to other conferences?
A:
Each conference selection process varies slightly. An advantage with SEC is that ESPN will be the exclusive rights holder, allowing us to utilize all of our platforms to maximize flexibility of games. Games will continue to air in the early afternoon, late afternoon and in primetime windows throughout the season. More game windows will be known prior to the start of the season, while still preserving an adequate level of week-to-week flexibility that has long been a pillar of college football's growth and success on television. For any games that are exclusively on our digital platforms, the school will determine the start times.

Q: Will there still be noon ET/11 a.m. CT games?
A: Yes, but those games will be predetermined prior to the start of the season.

A:

Don’t like all Noon kickoffs being predetermined. There are a couple of weekends (most weekends actually) now w/ the addition of OU and Texas that from Noon until 11pm the day is filled with great SEC games. I think it would suck to get short changed for a night a game if both teams outperformed expectations into October/November and you can’t get flexed into at least an afternoon game or night game.

I never really had an issue w/ a 12 day window deciding what time the game was.

"We could have a 3:30 ABC game and a game on SEC Network at 4 and a game on ESPN at 4,” Sankey says. Feel better.

Not hatred of Danielson just plain old dislike, same as I have for Fowler. They openly show their bias. I avoid listening to them.

There is probably more of an irrational dislike of of ESPN. Ex. Your post

I feel just fine, thanks.

Newsflash: your opinions aren't fact. And you didn't even address the point of my post, which was the SEC being just more product for ESPN while it was a valued entity for CBS. If you seriously believe that Danielson had some sort of 'hate' for UT, that's the height of irrationality. Fowler is practically on record with his anti-UT bias.

My dislike of ESPN is not irrational, and it has more to do with the political 'coloring' they add to much of their programming than anything else. I stopped watching anything but games on ESPN probably 20 years ago.

I feel just fine, thanks.

Newsflash: your opinions aren't fact. And you didn't even address the point of my post, which was the SEC being just more product for ESPN while it was a valued entity for CBS. If you seriously believe that Danielson had some sort of 'hate' for UT, that's the height of irrationality. Fowler is practically on record with his anti-UT bias.

My dislike of ESPN is not irrational, and it has more to do with the political 'coloring' they add to much of their programming than anything else. I stopped watching anything but games on ESPN probably 20 years ago.
"SEC being just a product for ESPN while it was a valued entity for CBS." that's your opinion, sami and Newsflash: your opinions aren't fact, either.

I dislike of Danielson, I am not alone, to me he's biased, not as openly as Fowler but he's biased. My opinion.

Since this is the FOOTBALL FORUM I will just skip commenting on your opinion of ESPN political "coloring" there's a different forum for the bull scat.

"SEC being just a product for ESPN while it was a valued entity for CBS." that's your opinion, sami and Newsflash: your opinions aren't fact, either.

I dislike of Danielson, I am not alone, to me he's biased, not as openly as Fowler but he's biased. My opinion.

Since this is the FOOTBALL FORUM I will just skip commenting on your opinion of ESPN political "coloring" there's a different forum for the bull scat.

You called my dislike of ESPN irrational. I was simply explaining what my dislike was based on without going into detail. 'Nuff said.

Our opinions are only our opinions - see, we can agree on something.

VN Store

Back