Is this where we are going?

OldLofter

Softball star gets $1M deal from Texas Tech (from Dallas Morning News)

I put this in the football forum because I think it is representative of where college sports are going. Texas Tech alway fields a quality football team (think Patrick Mahomes), but to pony up a million bucks for a softball player may show us how schools are responding to NIL.
Will schools focus on a few sports where they can excel? Maybe dropping other non revenue generating sports?
Thoughts?

Desperation. Trying to purchase relevancy, probably not going to work because you still have to score runs to win.

I saw something yesterday about tOSU having over $20 million in NIL for their players*

*Not tOSU, but it gets reported to the staff and school.

Reactions: SpookyAction
where.gif
Of course they're going to drop sports. This isn't about opportunities for members of the student body anymore. The mission is money.

And if anyone thinks they'll be outspending the liked of Texas or Ohio State - or even schools like Oregon while Knight is alive - well, good luck with that.

Reactions: StarRaider

I put this in the football forum because I think it is representative of where college sports are going. Texas Tech alway fields a quality football team (think Patrick Mahomes), but to pony up a million bucks for a softball player may show us how schools are responding to NIL.
Will schools focus on a few sports where they can excel? Maybe dropping other non revenue generating sports?
Thoughts?
This is where we are. Ohio State AD says their NIL is $20 Million for 2024.

Pro sports is expensive. Schools shouldn't be in the pro sports business, and yes..... Yes ...... YES...... I know the collectives aren't yet "connected to the schools" but that $20M is donation money essentially to tOSU which ISN'T going anywhere near the academic mission of a university.

What’s the expected return-on-investment here??? I don’t get it.
It has to be a huge softball fan whose return on investment will be the enjoyment they get out of fielding a quality team. Anything else makes no sense.

I’d donate $10MM a year to UT football and basketball if I could and if we were winning national championships, I’d feel like I’d invested well.

Reactions: Swiftybaby
You ain't seen nothing yet. College sports will become semi-pro leagues, with contract structures mirror the professional leagues, like NFL, MLB, and MLS. College sports as you knew it is headed out both the front and back door. The whole thing could have been avoided if the bigshots running the college sports show, including college administrators, hadn't been so overbearing and greedy.

Wonder when schools will be able to trade players. Hey I'll trade you this star basketball player for a starting quality WR, a backup DB, and a couple extra scholarships.

Reactions: Voltopia
Wonder when schools will be able to trade players. Hey I'll trade you this star basketball player for a starting quality WR, a backup DB, and a couple extra scholarships.
Inter-sports trades, whether you loved them or hated them, would be the most interesting and wild things in all of sports.

** never would happen but wow would it be crazy if it did

What’s the expected return-on-investment here??? I don’t get it.
Me either. I imagine a million goes a long way in a softball team’s budget. What’s the ceiling? If they won a championship with her, then probably a smart move. Anything less, might seem kinda impulsive.

Reactions: SpookyAction

Never. They signed with individual schools and there are not any trade clauses in their scholarships.

Me either. I imagine a million goes a long way in a softball team’s budget. What’s the ceiling? If they won a championship with her, then probably a smart move. Anything less, might seem kinda impulsive.
The budget? That NIL money isn't coming from the school's budget.

Or trade for a coach like MLB in the 60s and 70s (and Ozzie Guillen in 2011).

Oh sure. Once they negotiate a CBA and move past the heavy NIL era, all kinds of opportunities will arise. Trades, sign-and-trade, moving guys for cap money, no trade clauses, hell, it’ll be just like any other pro arrangement. Can you imagine moving two gymnasts and a baseball pitcher in exchange for a wide receiver? It’ll be wild. They can even start adding games, too. Why not? It won’t have to fit any “scholastic concerns” in anymore, so just expand the regular season like the NBA and the NFL has. Gotta make that money!

They wanted to be pros so badly, well, fair play, but players in the pros can be trades per the terms of employment so …let the commoditization begin.

Oh sure. Once they negotiate a CBA and move past the heavy NIL era, all kinds of opportunities will arise. Trades, sign-and-trade, moving guys for cap money, no trade clauses, hell, it’ll be just like any other pro arrangement. Can you imagine moving two gymnasts and a baseball pitcher in exchange for a wide receiver? It’ll be wild. They can even start adding games, too. Why not? It won’t have to fit any “scholastic concerns” in anymore, so just expand the regular season like the NBA and the NFL has. Gotta make that money!

They wanted to be pros so badly, well, fair play, but players in the pros can be trades per the terms of employment so …let the commoditization begin.
Ludicrous.

Thoughts?
The money was paid by a lady and her husband. The lady is a former TTU softball player. She nad her husband have fared well in life and can afford to pay the player.

Where is the issue?

We all know 100% players were being paid before the NIL ruling. Why are so many folks butthurt that no one has to lie about now?

VN Store

Back