37 player debuts today

kamoshika

Tennessee Debuts
  • Thirty-seven players made their Tennessee debuts during Saturday's season opener, including 19 true freshmen:
    DB Kaleb Beasley, Boo Carter, Edrees Farooq, Marcus Goree Jr., Colin Brazzell (walk-on) & Jackson Mathews (walk-on)
    DL Carson Gentle, Jordan Ross, Kellen Lindstrom & Isaiah Inge (walk-on)
    LB Ryan Scott (walk-on) & Grier Short (walk-on)
    OL Gage Ginther, Jesse Perry, William Satterwhite & Bennett Warren
    TE Cole Harrison
    RB Peyton Lewis
    QB Jake Merklinger

• Twelve transfers saw their first action as Vols on Saturday:
    DB Jermod McCoy, Jalen McMurray & Jakobe Thomas
    DL Mike Bethea II (walk-on), Jaxson Moi & Jamal Wallace
    LB Eli Purcell (walk-on)
    OL Lance Heard
    TE Miles Kitselman & Holden Staes
    WR Chris Brazzell II & Tommy Winton III (walk-on)

• Additionally, five redshirt freshmen made their collegiate debuts against the Mocs:
    DL Tyree Weathersby
    RB DeSean Bishop (walk-on)
    OL Ayden Bussell
    WR Nate Spillman
    PK Max Gilbert (walk-on)

• Redshirt junior defensive linemen Tim Amet (walk-on) rounded out UT's 37 players to make their debut on Saturday.
Postgame Notes: #15 Tennessee 69, Chattanooga 3 - University of Tennessee Athletics

Tennessee Debuts
  • Thirty-seven players made their Tennessee debuts during Saturday's season opener, including 19 true freshmen:
    DB Kaleb Beasley, Boo Carter, Edrees Farooq, Marcus Goree Jr., Colin Brazzell (walk-on) & Jackson Mathews (walk-on)
    TE Cole Harrison
    RB Peyton Lewis
    QB Jake Merklinger

LB Eli Purcell (walk-on)
    OL Lance Heard

• Additionally, five redshirt freshmen made their collegiate debuts against the Mocs:
    DL Tyree Weathersby
    OL Ayden Bussell
    WR Nate Spillman
    PK Max Gilbert (walk-on)

• Redshirt junior defensive linemen Tim Amet (walk-on) rounded out UT's 37 players to make their debut on Saturday.
Man, Bishop does not look like a walk-on. I hope he has all the success in the world. Would like to see him as rb 2 next year. Shoot, maybe this year, although Cam will be tough to beat.

Bishop is a walk-on?!
He’s obviously a scholarship caliber player that they’ve found a way to fund his college without using a scholarship since we’re having to operate a few short.

Personally, I don’t know why the players need to be identified as “walk on” as if that makes them some type of a lesser player? They’re all active members of the program contributing toward their common goal. I don’t get the impression the staff views them as second class teammates.

Tennessee Debuts
    TE Cole Harrison
    RB Peyton Lewis
    QB Jake Merklinger

LB Eli Purcell (walk-on)
    OL Lance Heard

DL Tyree Weathersby
    OL Ayden Bussell
    WR Nate Spillman
    PK Max Gilbert (walk-on)

Postgame Notes: #15 Tennessee 69, Chattanooga 3 - University of Tennessee Athletics
Wonder why Matthews and Staley didn’t make their debut?

Reactions: DrTNT
He’s obviously a scholarship caliber player that they’ve found a way to fund his college without using a scholarship since we’re having to operate a few short.

Personally, I don’t know why the players need to be identified as “walk on” as if that makes them some type of a lesser player? They’re all active members of the program contributing toward their common goal. I don’t get the impression the staff views them as second class teammates.
Haven't you read the latest?? The F'n NCAA wants to stop walk-on's!! Truth!
Read an article yesterday where Saban was blasting them for such a proposal.

Last edited:

They are walk-ons because they are walk-ons, just like I'm a retiree because I've retired. There's no value judgement in the fact.

If people attach a value to either of those accurate labels, then that's coming from their brains, not the labels.

It's like, I remember back in '68, someone (thinking they were being compassionate) protesting me referring to my Negro teammates as "black." She thought I was insulting them because, to her, black was derogatory. Meanwhile, we're all listening to and dancing together to James Brown singin' Say It Loud--I'm Black and I'm Proud!

I think if you're playing SEC ball as a walk-on, that's a badge of recognition and even more reason to be proud.

A difference between Walk-on versus a Preferred walk-on (PWO). Bishop is a PWO.

VN Store

Back