4 Down Territory

Aerie Vol

Autzen.

If you're in it, it's 4 down territory. Work with me here... The world is raving about the Ducks' ability to take it to the house from anywhere on the field. The world gives our D little to no chance at stopping, or even slowing down, the O-ffense. By that reckoning, a punt = an Oregon touchdown.

So, it's 4th and 2 at your own 28. Go for it! Every time. Even when you fail, it just means the Ducks score more quickly and their D is right back onto the field getting rammed into by our superior line. Their defense therefore wears out quickly, making it even more likely to be successful on 4th down plays. Ball control and possession is the way to go.

Butch understands the game...wouldn't be surprised if he's way, way ahead of me on this one.

AV

Reactions: 1 person
If our o-line is superior then UT shouldn't be in a 4th & 2 situation at the 28...But I see what you're saying to a degree.

Heard similar reasoning earlier that suggested when the Vols get inside the Ducks 20 yd. line, it is 4 down territory. Vols should not kick FG, since Oregon is going to be scoring TDs. So, it is better to make them go 80+ yards to score and use more time than to score the 3 pts. Not saying that I agree, just that it's a different perspective which I do not think comes in to consideration in SEC type games. :popcorn:

Didn't Butch go for it twice, fail to convert, thus effectively losing the game for his team against a better opponent on the road? Am I imagining this?

Reactions: 2 people
I am definitely OK with being a bit more liberal and risky with play calling. I doubt we go for it on our own 28 but I look for CBJ to manage the game a lot like he did when Cincy came to Neyland. I see us going for it a few times and possibly pulling out a couple trick plays.

yeah if we dont think our defense has a very good chance of stopping them by making them go the full field then we should guarantee they have no chance by starting oregon in the redzone.

Huh? Game? Details?

Perhaps I dreamed it. Surely we wouldn't hire a guy that lost to the guy that was the worst coach in our program's history.

Disclaimer: Making a joke for the sake of making a joke, and I suspect that I've fallen flat on my face. I thoroughly enjoy Butch.

Autzen.

If you're in it, it's 4 down territory. Work with me here... The world is raving about the Ducks' ability to take it to the house from anywhere on the field. The world gives our D little to no chance at stopping, or even slowing down, the O-ffense. By that reckoning, a punt = an Oregon touchdown.

So, it's 4th and 2 at your own 28. Go for it! Every time. Even when you fail, it just means the Ducks score more quickly and their D is right back onto the field getting rammed into by our superior line. Their defense therefore wears out quickly, making it even more likely to be successful on 4th down plays. Ball control and possession is the way to go.

Butch understands the game...wouldn't be surprised if he's way, way ahead of me on this one.

AV

So u want to give them the ball on the 28 so they can score easier and quicker?

If.we want to win we have to play smart.

Btw I think our special teams is our best asset

This is the number 2 team in the nation that we are playing. We need to take points when we can get them. It is possible to win a game on field goals alone (just ask Bama when they beat us 12-10). We also don't want to look like a bunch of idiots on a nationally televised game. Play smart, and hopefully we won't have to worry about 4 down territory. I would rather try to pin Oregon as far away from the end zone as possible. If they score, make them work for it.

This is the number 2 team in the nation that we are playing. We need to take points when we can get them. It is possible to win a game on field goals alone (just ask Bama when they beat us 12-10). We also don't want to look like a bunch of idiots on a nationally televised game. Play smart, and hopefully we won't have to worry about 4 down territory. I would rather try to pin Oregon as far away from the end zone as possible. If they score, make them work for it.

You can't honestly think that it's possible to win THIS game on field goals alone?

Keep the ball away from their offense by "any" means necessary. I don't look for our offense to make much noise until the second half. Hopefully we'll have punched them enough by then to have success due to fatigue. I just hope we're not down by 40 by that time. If we have a lot of 3 and outs in the first half...it's probably all irrelevant!

The idea makes sense. I would see how our defense is playing first. If we are getting scored on when they take it the whole field, then I would not punt. Two benefits if we don't convert. Harder to score in red zone and if they do score on a very short field. Thier defense will be right back out there. If thier d is out there the whole time, then we shouldn't have a problem driving and scoring everytime they do, and just hope they make some mistakes on Offense.

With that said, it's a crazy idea. But people with nothing to lose are the craziest

I'll say it again.... do NOT everlovin punt against Oregon.

We blew this game when we punted on the 4th and 1 after the horrible spot on Lane's carry.

Stop punting!!!!

AV

VN Store

Back