4 questions about our current team players/positions

orangebloodgmc

1. If we had to play right now, who is our #2 TE? Will that change in August?
2. Any chance one of our 3 safeties (McNeil, B.Moore, Randolph) plays some cb?
3. If Lane didn't make it back, could/would Justin King get carries lined up as a true running back?
4. Do you think Orta, Tino Thomas and/or Naz Oliver is poised to get significant p.t.? Why or why not?

Last edited:
I'll take a stab at these...

1. I think our #2 will be Quinn, possible for Meredith to slide into this role if Quinn struggles.
2. Out of those 3, I could see B.Moore making the transition if needed.
3. Maybe in short yardage situations, but I doubt it.
4. I think the amount of PT from most to least will be Orta, Thomas, Oliver. Orta has shown flashes of providing quality depth, and Thomas has good size and athleticism. I may be wrong, but I think Oliver's window of opportunity passed a long time ago.

Reactions: 2 people
Does anyone think we'll see the Wild Beast again or do y'all think that died with Chaney's employment?

1. No
2. No, except maybe Moore in nickel.
3. Not unless everyone gets injured.
4. Orta has the best chance. The secondary is getting settled with McNeil, Randolf, Moore, Jones, Coleman. Can definitely see Orta getting time especially with injury. Sutton to me is one to watch coming in and competing from day 1.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll take a stab at these...

1. I think our #2 will be Quinn, possible for Meredith to slide into this role if Quinn struggles.
2. Out of those 3, I could see B.Moore making the transition if needed.
3. Maybe in short yardage situations, but I doubt it.
4. I think the amount of PT from most to least will be Orta, Thomas, Oliver. Orta has shown flashes of providing quality depth, and Thomas has good size and athleticism. I may be wrong, but I think Oliver's window of opportunity passed a long time ago.

No way King isn't the second TE right now. He's been highly praised during the spring.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope lane makes it back. I could see this being a great year for him. Alden Hill seems to be coming along good tho. Decent o&w game and the type of runner I'd like to see to wear on the D. I hope Tom Smith shows up and gets some carries too.

3. If Lane didn't make it back, could/would Justin King get carries lined up as a true running back?
4. Do you think Orta, Tino Thomas and/or Naz Oliver is poised to get significant p.t.? Why or why not?

1. Meredith, King
2. They may but not much
3. Aden Hill will be the beast, but we need Lane back for this year and especially next. Beast is gone but if we need to pound it I would pull one of the DL for the sledge hammer. M.Couch
4. Orta, but I believe Riyahd Jones will see more PT

I hope that Oliver gets some playing time. He is a 5th year senior and has seen the field very little his whole career.

1) King. Until Meradith stays healthy it's hard for me to put much stock in him. But he's talented as hell. Just gotta stay on the stinking field.

2) if that were the case I would say Moore. Simply because it was somewhat debated upon his recruitment whether he would play corner or safety. But I think we're gonna be alright at corner. Not great, but much improved. Improved D-line and safety play IMO will be the biggest reason for improvement in CB play.

3) I see Alden Hill getting Lane's carries, regardless. Check my posts in the past...I've always been skeptical of Lane. Talent wise I'm skeptical, I think he's over rated. I also question his dedication/work ethic. I told people after the O/W game last year to not be fulled by his lofty #'s, he was running against a piss poor 2nd team D. They don't wanna hear it. Now they wanna point towards his #'s last year, but totally ignore his absence in big games...while racking up yards against patsies. Yet Neal produced against UGA, UF, and was on the verge of going nuts against Miss State until the injury. Yet people are still in love with Lane and using a 3 year old ACL injury for an excuse. I don't think Lane will materialize into a premier back while he's here...ever. But that's clearly my opinion, not fact....yet.

4) I would have to go with Orta, Oliver, Thomas in that order. Orta hasn't played much, but when he plays he always seems to...make a play. He has a nose for the ball. Oliver IIRC was brought here to play the Tampa 2. Regardless, his injury along with coaching/scheme changes haven't been kind to him. Kid is highly talented, just never came together for what ever reason. But he's a guy that could surprise a few. Thomas...some won't like this, but if the program were in better shape at the time of his recruitment, I'm not sure he would even be here. That's just my opinion.

Good thread.

Last edited:
My 4 questions would be...
How will the dline hold up against sec competition?
Who will win the qb job?
Which receiver/receivers will become playmakers?
Do we have cb's that can cover elite receivers?

To me these are the biggest question marks.

Who will win the qb job?

and then I respond with ....

1. Somewhat confident in D-Line this year. Good amount of seniors on that line and they will give their hearts for UT.
2. Dobbs by the end of the year.
3. Croom and North.
4. Nope.

Who will win the qb job?

1. The starters will be fine. It's the drop off from our starters to our 2s that scares me, especially at tackle.
2. Worley will start the APSU game imo. Whether he keeps the starting job is up to him.
3. Croom, North, Pig, and Harris will emerge by the second half of the season.
4. Not confident in the corner position at all.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

1. The starters will be fine. It's the drop off from our starters to our 2s that scares me, especially at tackle.
2. Worley will start the APSU game imo. Whether he keeps the starting job is up to him.
3. Croom, North, Pig, and Harris will emerge by the second half of the season.
4. Not confident in the corner position at all.

Best depth we've had since 2005 at DT IMO.

Best depth we've had since 2005 at DT IMO.
After Mo, Big Mac, and Hood we've got a lot of unproven guys. Salsberry got some pt last year but was inconsistent. Clark and Carson have been around, but it's obvious that they won't be a factor. If O'Brien lives up to his potential he could factor in to the rotation, as could Carr and J Miller. I agree it's better than it's been, but still miles away from where it needs to be.

After Mo, Big Mac, and Hood we've got a lot of unproven guys. Salsberry got some pt last year but was inconsistent. Clark and Carson have been around, but it's obvious that they won't be a factor. If O'Brien lives up to his potential he could factor in to the rotation, as could Carr and J Miller. I agree it's better than it's been, but still miles away from where it needs to be.

I liked what I saw from Saulsbury late last year. He actually got the nod as a starter after having a good game the week prior. He got hurt in that start. And as a poorly coached young player, I would expect him to be a bit inconsistent. But it wouldn't shock me one bit to see him start over Couch. McCullers, Saulsberry, Couch, Hood , Obrien...unproven to an extent? Yeah, but we have talented bodies. And I think we have an all out gem of a DL coach.

On the flip side I could have egg on my face by seasons end. I could be overly excited simply because we actually have guys that look like legit DTs. Not 275 converted DEs backed up by 2 star guys. LOL

Oliver has been injured his entire college career so far. IIRC, his only meaningful playing time came against Kentucky last year, and he was serviceable. A highly rated guy coming out of HS, if he can stay healthy I say he could emerge as a top contributor.

How much does it suck that we lost sentimore. Not that he was a dynamic playmaker or anything but we need depth. Just kinda sums up what the last few years have been like for us.

VN Store

Back