4th grader being recruited for basketball?

unconventional
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ILbPFSc4_4[/youtube]

So uh... too soon to him offer him a scholarship? haha

Given the recent play of our PG's at times, he could probably get some PT if he were taller. :p

We're too late...

Calipari already get to him? haha

He's a baller tho... No doubt.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. He's already putting bounce passes on the money, hitting tear drops and burying deep 3's. His shot looks to have a ton of arc on it too. Granted, he's playing against other younger kids but he's showing flashes of things that some college players can't even do. If he looks that good at 9, who knows how good he could be. He's looking like he could find himself in the NBA in the future even if he were only to end up being 5'10. If he ends up being tall, could get interesting.

Or he could end up lost in all kinds of other mess...

Too many possibilities. Kid needs to be a kid while he can, especially if his talent actually does translate to higher levels...

I'd go nuts cheering him on as a fan in the stands for now tho....

I read an article about recruiting for private high schools in the DC area that said they scout 5th-8th graders. The coaches agreed that it's a crap shoot because a dominate middle school player can easily be not only fully grown at an early age but also end up as no better than a JV player.

I read an article about recruiting for private high schools in the DC area that said they scout 5th-8th graders. The coaches agreed that it's a crap shoot because a dominate middle school player can easily be not only fully grown at an early age but also end up as no better than a JV player.

No doubt. Dominating at a young age is nothing because you could peak and you're not playing very good competition. But his bball IQ and court vision seems to be really impressive. He has a nice looking shot. The shot at the end is what makes you really wonder about his ceiling. That shot he made while adjusting was Wade-esque. If you can see a 9 year old doing something similar to Wade, the ceiling could be very high.

But yeah, there are so many variables. I saw how Anthony Davis grew to weird heights. In 9th grade he was like 6'0, then a year later 6'4, then a year later 6'7 and by senior year, 6'10. Or whatever it was, i'm not using actual facts. But he went from being a quality guard to suddenly being like 6'10. That's what's scary when you see a 9 year old making crazy moves like that. He's not only young and small but he'll definitely grow some and who knows what his ceiling is.

I just thought some of the stuff he was doing at 9 was pretty interesting. I'll say worst case scenario, he ends up as a 3* on rivals lol :p

VN Store

Back