5 Tennessee players to watch when camp opens

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
hopefully this hasn't been posted yet,i thought this was a pretty good article about the up coming year

5 Tennessee players to watch when camp opens » GoVolsXtra

i liked this from wagee12 in the comments section too

Five Players to Watch
Riyahd Jones-- Corner has been a weak spot. Can the juco transfer shore up one side of the field with man coverage skills?
Woody Quinn-- Big athletic juco transfer is playing a position that Jones and Bajakian like to feature in their offense.
Marlin Lane-- He averaged a full yard more per carry than Neal last season, is healthy and will challenge for the starting job.
Dontavius Sapp-- Is the former safety a late bloomer at linebacker. He looked very good in the spring and may be the biggest surprise on the football team.
Alton "Pig" Howard-- Could be the playmaker in waiting that the offense is looking for this fall. he has trimmed down, firmed up and could be explosive in the open field.
Marquez North-- How long will it take for the freshman to adapt to both the speed and physicality of the college game? Has all the tools to be a big time receiver.

I'm hoping that Worley has a hell of a fall practice and takes over the QB position and leads the Vols to better expectations than what i have now

My 5:

1. Jason Croom - Will the guy be able to use his size to his advantage and make some big plays? He's much needed.
2. Alden Hill - Was his Spring just a fluke, or will he be a legit contender for some major carries?
3. Corey Miller/Jacques Smith - Will they finally have a big senior year? They're due a good season.
4. Justus Pickett - Will this transfer be worth the scholly?
5. Danny O'Brien - need him to step in and provide depth

Reactions: 2 people
i hope Jason has gotten over his injury,maybe momma Croom will give us an update ? :)

Interesting list but I can't imagine having a list less than 10 or 15 really.

My list

Riyahd Jones - Probably the most important new comer to the team and highly touted.

Marlin Lane - Can he press Rajion Neal? Can he consistently get through arm tackles and get tough yardage? If not Alden hill will try and take some of his snaps.

Marquez North - How quickly can he acclimate himself to the SEC? North might be the 2nd most important new comer when you look at the position depth and his potential.

Jason Croom - He must be a strong contributor for this offense and frankly this whole team to succeed on the field (given the pace of the offense and the need to move the chains).

Justin Worley - Does he make the right reads and checks in the running game? Does he pick up the offense enough to audible into the right plays? He definitely has experience in a similar passing scheme (short timing routes) in high school and got a few meaningful snaps in SEC games. He needs to be the man.

Brian Randolph - Is he 100%? Between McCullers, AJ Johnson, and Brian Randolph I'm not sure who is more vital to the success of this defense. Byron Moore should be solid and Coleman is good enough but we are going to need a playmaker in the secondary.

Daniel McCullers - " And I'll say it, we'll be as good as Dan McCullers goes." - Coach Jones during today's press conference. Enough said.

Curt Maggitt - How healthy is he? Curt was playing at a very high level before the injury. Curt could be a big part of the difference in having an ok defense and a good defense. He got after the qb and was very active in the running game.

Jason Carr - Does he live up to the hype? He's definitely a Volunteer after following his recruitment. Is he a special player? Does he have the potential? Will he move inside?

Corey Vareen - Does he pick up where he left off in the spring? How does Jancek use him?

Jordan Williams - All reports are positive that Jordan could be that pass rusher that we have desperately needed. Is he hungry and does he continue to get to the QB? Practicing against this O-line everyday should make him better.

Justin Coleman - We need a solid 1 and 2 at corner. Coleman is an upper classman and we need him to play like one.

Alden Hill - Along with Latroy Lewis, he played himself into this list in the spring. He made fans and coaches perk up when he carried the ball in the sprint. Is he the guy inside the 5 yard line? Can he pick up the tough yard to move the sticks? Does he run with a sense of urgency that no one person is going to bring him down? That's what he was brought here for.

LaDarrell McNeil - Does he work himself into the rotation? We are going to need to obtain and develop talented depth to get back in the SEC Championship conversation and McNeil was a highly touted recruit.

Michael Palardy - This one should be fairly obvious. He plays a position of intense need, can win or lose games single handedly, and hasn't lived up to the "#1 kicker in the nation" bill that was placed on him in his recruiting class. We need an ice cold kicker.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
My Top 5

1. Who will emerge at DE and become threat to sack the QB?
2. Which TE will step up?
3. Who wants to get in OL rotation?
4. Will Palardy finally be reliable?
5. WILL THE FANS show Patience this fall?

My Top 5

1. Who will emerge at DE and become threat to sack the QB?
2. Which TE will step up?
3. Who wants to get in OL rotation?
4. Will Palardy finally be reliable?
5. WILL THE FANS show Patience this fall?

Well we already know that 5 wont happen

Reactions: 4 people
My list

Riyahd Jones - Probably the most important new comer to the team and highly touted.

Marlin Lane - Can he press Rajion Neal? Can he consistently get through arm tackles and get tough yardage? If not Alden hill will try and take some of his snaps.

Jason Croom - He must be a strong contributor for this offense and frankly this whole team to succeed on the field (given the pace of the offense and the need to move the chains).

Daniel McCullers - " And I'll say it, we'll be as good as Dan McCullers goes." - Coach Jones during today's press conference. Enough said.

These four are key to UT season for me ^^^^... but mostly just want to see Vols like these starting to develop into NFL players through effective coaching.

My 5:

1. Jason Croom - Will the guy be able to use his size to his advantage and make some big plays? He's much needed.
2. Alden Hill - Was his Spring just a fluke, or will he be a legit contender for some major carries?
3. Corey Miller/Jacques Smith - Will they finally have a big senior year? They're due a good season.

Pickett is a walkon, doesn't have a scholarship

Reactions: 1 person
hopefully this hasn't been posted yet,i thought this was a pretty good article about the up coming year

5 Tennessee players to watch when camp opens » GoVolsXtra

i liked this from wagee12 in the comments section too

Five Players to Watch
Riyahd Jones-- Corner has been a weak spot. Can the juco transfer shore up one side of the field with man coverage skills?
Woody Quinn-- Big athletic juco transfer is playing a position that Jones and Bajakian like to feature in their offense.
Marlin Lane-- He averaged a full yard more per carry than Neal last season, is healthy and will challenge for the starting job.
Dontavius Sapp-- Is the former safety a late bloomer at linebacker. He looked very good in the spring and may be the biggest surprise on the football team.
Alton "Pig" Howard-- Could be the playmaker in waiting that the offense is looking for this fall. he has trimmed down, firmed up and could be explosive in the open field.
Marquez North-- How long will it take for the freshman to adapt to both the speed and physicality of the college game? Has all the tools to be a big time receiver.

I'm hoping that Worley has a hell of a fall practice and takes over the QB position and leads the Vols to better expectations than what i have now

INB4 thats six players:)

My 5:

Isnt Pickett a walkon or is that wrong??

Well we already know that 5 wont happen
The biggest one on there is will the fans show patience, not only this year but next because next season could be worse than this season with the loses on the DL and OL the fans will have to be patience and stand behind the TEAM and coach, 2015 is when the big time winning against the elite will come, but we the fan has got to stay fired up and stand behind the team for recruiting, because if the fans start throwing mud at the coach and the team the recruits will take notice.

The biggest one on there is will the fans show patience, not only this year but next because next season could be worse than this season with the loses on the DL and OL the fans will have to be patience and stand behind the TEAM and coach, 2015 is when the big time winning against the elite will come, but we the fan has got to stay fired up and stand behind the team for recruiting, because if the fans start throwing mud at the coach and the team the recruits will take notice.

Dooley sucked. Fans knew it when he was hired. UT''s now fired AD did not.

CBJ is far better. Reality has a role.

Interesting list but I can't imagine having a list less than 10 or 15 really.

My list

Marquez North - How quickly can he acclimate himself to the SEC? North might be the 2nd most important new comer when you look at the position depth and his potential.

Justin Worley - Does he make the right reads and checks in the running game? Does he pick up the offense enough to audible into the right plays? He definitely has experience in a similar passing scheme (short timing routes) in high school and got a few meaningful snaps in SEC games. He needs to be the man.

Brian Randolph - Is he 100%? Between McCullers, AJ Johnson, and Brian Randolph I'm not sure who is more vital to the success of this defense. Byron Moore should be solid and Coleman is good enough but we are going to need a playmaker in the secondary.

Curt Maggitt - How healthy is he? Curt was playing at a very high level before the injury. Curt could be a big part of the difference in having an ok defense and a good defense. He got after the qb and was very active in the running game.

Jason Carr - Does he live up to the hype? He's definitely a Volunteer after following his recruitment. Is he a special player? Does he have the potential? Will he move inside?

Corey Vareen - Does he pick up where he left off in the spring? How does Jancek use him?

Jordan Williams - All reports are positive that Jordan could be that pass rusher that we have desperately needed. Is he hungry and does he continue to get to the QB? Practicing against this O-line everyday should make him better.

Justin Coleman - We need a solid 1 and 2 at corner. Coleman is an upper classman and we need him to play like one.

Alden Hill - Along with Latroy Lewis, he played himself into this list in the spring. He made fans and coaches perk up when he carried the ball in the sprint. Is he the guy inside the 5 yard line? Can he pick up the tough yard to move the sticks? Does he run with a sense of urgency that no one person is going to bring him down? That's what he was brought here for.

LaDarrell McNeil - Does he work himself into the rotation? We are going to need to obtain and develop talented depth to get back in the SEC Championship conversation and McNeil was a highly touted recruit.

Michael Palardy - This one should be fairly obvious. He plays a position of intense need, can win or lose games single handedly, and hasn't lived up to the "#1 kicker in the nation" bill that was placed on him in his recruiting class. We need an ice cold kicker.

McNeil is listed as a starter at this time. Safe to say he will be an important player in the rotation.

The statement Coach Jones made about McCullers puts a lot of importance on his play this year. Coach obviously believes that he has a tremendous upside. I get the impression that Jones thinks this team could win more games than expected.

VN Store

Back