7.2 Magnitude Earthquake In Haiti - High Number Of Casualties

Franklin Pierce

'High number of casualties' in Haiti after 7.2 magnitude earthquake hits Caribbean nation: Quake is Stronger than the 2010 disaster that killed thousands

• The quake was felt in Cuba and Jamaica and had a magnitude 0.2 stronger than the one 11 years ago that killed 250,000 people and left more than 1.5 million homeless

A major earthquake struck western Haiti on Saturday and was felt across the Caribbean where people fled their homes for fear that buildings might collapse.

The 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck five miles from the town of Petit Trou de Nippes, about 7.5 miles west of Haiti's capital Port-au-Prince.

Within hours the US Geological Survey (USGS) estimated 'thousands of fatalities' and 'tens of thousands of injuries in poor mountainous communities'.

Jerry Chandler, who heads the country's civil protection agency, said: 'I can confirm there are deaths, but I don't yet have an exact toll.'

The USGS issued a tsunami warning, saying waves of up to ten feet were possible along the coastline of Haiti but it soon lifted the warning despite a series of smaller aftershocks that continued to shake the island.

46671571-9893551-A_major_earthquake_struck_western_Haiti_on_Saturday_and_was_felt-a-27_1628951895821.jpg

46672509-9893551-image-a-38_1628951983021.jpg

Major earthquake strikes Haiti, felt across Caribbean | Daily Mail Online

I'm all for helping the victims of natural disasters. Especially in our backyard. But not giving them a new life here.

Political disasters; you're on your own.

Reactions: BreatheUT and AM64
I was alway taught never quit, never give up. But if I were a Haitian I believe I'd just throw in the towel.

I visited Haiti back in 2014, a few years after the earthquake. That place is a tropical hell, and my heart goes out to the people who live there. Destruction from the previous earthquake 4 years earlier was still evident. The trash was unbelievable. It was everywhere, and I often passed huge sinkholes full of nothing but festering garbage. The air smelled always of burning rubber. It’s as close to hell on Earth as one can get.

If that country is not cursed, then it is the unluckiest country that has ever existed. Slavery, a bloody revolution, reparations paid to France that crippled its economy, ruthless dictators, an assassinated president, and two recent, major earthquakes. Perhaps their forefathers truly did sell the country’s soul to Voodoo.

I visited Haiti back in 2014, a few years after the earthquake. That place is a tropical hell, and my heart goes out to the people who live there. Destruction from the previous earthquake 4 years earlier was still evident. The trash was unbelievable. It was everywhere, and I often passed huge sinkholes full of nothing but festering garbage. The air smelled always of burning rubber. It’s as close to hell on Earth as one can get.

If that country is not cursed, then it is the unluckiest country that has ever existed. Slavery, a bloody revolution, reparations paid to France that crippled its economy, ruthless dictators, an assassinated president, and two recent, major earthquakes. Perhaps their forefathers truly did sell the country’s soul to Voodoo.

It's almost like Haiti has been sent repeated messages and isn't listening.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood

You forget satan visited there in a pantsuit. They are cursed.

Reactions: davethevol and AM64
I never understood how you could have one island with 2 countries separated by a mountain range and one be prosperous and the other be a hell hole.

Agreed. Maybe we don't have the root causes identified as much as we think and we are making more excuses than anything. I do think paying France is ridiculous. I need to do more research around that.

That said, I will keep the people and the country in my prayers tonight.

The church where I attend here in the Nashville area supports an orphanage in the city of Jeremie, Haiti. I traveled with a group from my church to Jeremie back in 2014 to visit the orphans and see the progress on the buildings we were funding to build.

They gave an update at service today with pictures of the damage from the earthquake. Some of the buildings were destroyed, but, thankfully, none of the children were hurt. The children at the orphanage and the families who assist there are all sleeping outside due to fear from continued aftershocks. Such a sad deal.

Now, apparently, a tropical storm is also headed towards Haiti. They just can’t catch a break.

Even though I still attend church, I am no longer a religious man; but if you are, please take a moment to offer up your prayers & supplications for the safety of the people in Haiti, especially the innocent and vulnerable orphans. While I can no longer offer my prayers, I am donating some more money towards my church’s Haiti fund which goes directly to help the hurting people there.

The church where I attend here in the Nashville area supports an orphanage in the city of Jeremie, Haiti. I traveled with a group from my church to Jeremie back in 2014 to visit the orphans and see the progress on the buildings we were funding to build.

They gave an update at service today with pictures of the damage from the earthquake. Some of the buildings were destroyed, but, thankfully, none of the children were hurt. The children at the orphanage and the families who assist there are all sleeping outside due to fear from continued aftershocks. Such a sad deal.

Now, apparently, a tropical storm is also headed towards Haiti. They just can’t catch a break.

Even though I still attend church, I am no longer a religious man; but if you are, please take a moment to offer up your prayers & supplications for the safety of the people in Haiti, especially the innocent and vulnerable orphans. While I can no longer offer my prayers, I am donating some more money towards my church’s Haiti fund which goes directly to help the hurting people there.

Not calling you out for anything, I just seen this posted. I have got to where I don't trust churches with money. It all passes through human hands. I just don't trust churches with money, then I don't trust the "people" that it goes to in those places to be give to the people in need.

I could be wrong with how its handled, I have just heard stories that make me question humanity.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
Not calling you out for anything, I just seen this posted. I have got to where I don't trust churches with money. It all passes through human hands. I just don't trust churches with money, then I don't trust the "people" that it goes to in those places to be give to the people in need.

I could be wrong with how its handled, I have just heard stories that make me question humanity.

Understandable, and I’m sorry you had those experiences. I wasn’t asking anyone to give. However, the ministry at the church where I attend gives 100% of its donations to the people it helps in Haiti. I know, I have been there and have seen it with my own eyes. I know the people who run this ministry and assist it, who (before COVID) traveled there about 4-5 times a year with medical supplies, nurses, and doctors. The children of the orphanage and the family who run it were all originally living in a condemned, abandoned nightclub in the middle of the city of Jeremie before my church helped build a whole complex outside of town with multiple buildings. It is largely funded by some decently wealthy individuals and also the rest of the congregation of my church. The ministry also funds a local school and a (VERY small) agricultural university. Some good ole Tennessee farmers go and teach their knowledge to the students on some of the trips we organize. Some of the buildings at the orphanage were also personally constructed by some of our teams.

Again, not trying to toot any horn—certainly not my own, as I have done very little. I don’t even believe in God anymore. But, that doesn’t detract from those doing some very good work helping others in desperate need in the name of what they believe in.

I understand being jaded—as I’ve said, I’m no longer religious, though I still occasionally attend the church of my upbringing. But, don’t let that cynicism cause you to believe that nobody is trying to do good for the sake of good. There are some that still do, and I know a few of them.

https://www.emmanuelhaiti.org/

Reactions: twoffo and C1500
Understandable, and I’m sorry you had those experiences. I wasn’t asking anyone to give. However, the ministry at the church where I attend gives 100% of its donations to the people it helps in Haiti. I know, I have been there and have seen it with my own eyes. I know the people who run this ministry and assist it, who (before COVID) traveled there about 4-5 times a year with medical supplies, nurses, and doctors. The children of the orphanage and the family who run it were all originally living in a condemned, abandoned nightclub in the middle of the city of Jeremie before my church helped build a whole complex outside of town with multiple buildings. It is largely funded by some decently wealthy individuals and also the rest of the congregation of my church. The ministry also funds a local school and a (VERY small) agricultural university. Some good ole Tennessee farmers go and teach their knowledge to the students on some of the trips we organize. Some of the buildings at the orphanage were also personally constructed by some of our teams.

Again, not trying to toot any horn—certainly not my own, as I have done very little. I don’t even believe in God anymore. But, that doesn’t detract from those doing some very good work helping others in desperate need in the name of what they believe in.

I understand being jaded—as I’ve said, I’m no longer religious, though I still occasionally attend the church of my upbringing. But, don’t let that cynicism cause you to believe that nobody is trying to do good for the sake of good. There are some that still do, and I know a few of them.

https://www.emmanuelhaiti.org/

Glad some are still around for sure.

Reactions: OrangeEtBlanc
Haitians Attack Relief Trucks, Steal Food after quake that left more than 2,200 dead

haiti-relief-trucks-01.jpg

Haitians overran trucks filled with supplies, stealing food and other necessities Friday as the country’s leaders scrambled to provide relief a week after a 7.2-magnitude earthquake hit the impoverished country.

The earthquake left more than 2,200 dead and 12,000 injured in the country’s southwest.

Haitians attack relief trucks, steal food after earthquake

VN Store

Back