A bright spot: Disney's Hawkeye does representation right

AshG

Easy target
As an amputee, and as the husband and father of extreme hard of hearing women, I find myself smiling at the way Disney's Hawkeye portrays both medical conditions as just another part of life. They are not shoved in your face.

Maya/Echo, the villainess, is a below knee amputee. You know this not because it's mentioned every other line (I know, a lesson I can learn) but because of a couple frames that make the prosthetic visible without making it the focus.

Hawkeye also gently introduces the viewer to the difficult conversation between those born deaf/hoh and those who become deaf/hoh later in life. It is definitely not a unified community. There is a large and vocal contingent in the "deaf from birth" segment who find hearing aids and cochlear implants to be an insult and affront, even in those who became deaf later in life.

I absolutely hate the superhero genre. It's lazy and cheesy, they bought the rights for decades of hastily put together story board material so they wouldn't have to develop and pay real talent to come up with original ideas and compelling themes.

Or maybe it's just what the lowest common denominator can relate to. Either way I refuse to watch any more of it.

Rant over

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
I absolutely hate the superhero genre. It's lazy and cheesy, they bought the rights for decades of hastily put together story board material so they wouldn't have to develop and pay real talent to come up with original ideas and compelling themes.

Or maybe it's just what the lowest common denominator can relate to. Either way I refuse to watch any more of it.

Rant over
297.jpeg

As an amputee, and as the husband and father of extreme hard of hearing women, I find myself smiling at the way Disney's Hawkeye portrays both medical conditions as just another part of life. They are not shoved in your face.

Maya/Echo, the villainess, is a below knee amputee. You know this not because it's mentioned every other line (I know, a lesson I can learn) but because of a couple frames that make the prosthetic visible without making it the focus.

Hawkeye also gently introduces the viewer to the difficult conversation between those born deaf/hoh and those who become deaf/hoh later in life. It is definitely not a unified community. There is a large and vocal contingent in the "deaf from birth" segment who find hearing aids and cochlear implants to be an insult and affront, even in those who became deaf later in life.
They are just comic book accurate of the actual characters.

Reactions: AshG

Steve Austin and Jaime Summers were amputees, partially deaf and partially blind, yet it didn't have a feeling of being "woke" or advocating for special awareness for handicapped people. This Disney project, on the other hand, gives me the feeling this thing will be dripping with wholeness, despite your claims that it isn't in your face.

Steve Austin and Jaime Summers were amputees, partially deaf and partially blind, yet it didn't have a feeling of being "woke" or advocating for special awareness for handicapped people. This Disney project, on the other hand, gives me the feeling this thing will be dripping with wholeness, despite your claims that it isn't in your face.

I think they were before my time?

I didn't have the pleasure of the comics growing up. They were a luxury we couldn't afford. I'm one of the people for whom this is new to.

I was really into cards & collectibles when I was a kid. Acquired well over 10,000 sports cards and hundreds of comics over the years. This thread has inspired me to take some out and read them again. You can’t go wrong with XMEN.

Just pick apart my attempt at injecting something positive here, why don't you?
I'm just trying to point out that having handicapped super heroes isn't anything new or special. So why are we making a big deal out of this film... unless they have added in some woke stuff or a political angle.

They are just using woman's selective hearing when you speak to them or at least that's what mine do!

Also a quality representation.

Just pick apart my attempt at injecting something positive here, why don't you?

We don’t allow positive on this site.

We want to bath in your tears.

This is where people from the FB forum who have larger vocabularies and opinions they must force upon others go.

Nobody on here wants to have a nice day. They want to find some one to argue with about anything at all.

Daredevil is blind by the way. Take that you positive seeking freak!

If was hard if hearing and had a hearing aid, I believe I’d have to give the vocal contingent of “death from birth” the sign for FU 🖕🏼….. and tell them 🤚🏼👇🏼👊🏼🤞✌🏼🤌🏻👈🏼🤜🏻🖕🏼

I didn't even know the born deaf and the deaf after birth people had beef... either I just learned something new or this is some exaggerated BS.

Did you see the fight between the two blind kids?

Neither did they.

VN Store

Back