A curious thread

Volnanza

Just think. 4 of the 5 SEC losses we incurred during the season were to the three SEC teams that LOST yesterday. Does this mean that our odds are actually increasing since the # of teams remaining capable of beating us just went down by 3. Or, does it mean that we need to look out for the most "Mississippi State" like opponents left in the tournament. If we play like last night it may not matter. They were ready to go.

I think the most common theme in TN's losses this year has been poor shooting. Whether that means you get scoring from Dalton and Zakai but no one else or the team just has an unorthodox terrible night of shooting all around. While I will give credit to teams playing good defense which affects us, that first South Carolina loss as well as the first MS State loss, we just couldn't buy a basket if we mortaged the deed for Neyland Stadium. I'm confident we will win or be in any game that we shoot average and get small contributions from players not named Dalton, Zakai or Jonas.

I think the most common theme in TN's losses this year has been poor shooting. Whether that means you get scoring from Dalton and Zakai but no one else or the team just has an unorthodox terrible night of shooting all around. While I will give credit to teams playing good defense which affects us, that first South Carolina loss as well as the first MS State loss, we just couldn't buy a basket if we mortaged the deed for Neyland Stadium. I'm confident we will win or be in any game that we shoot average and get small contributions from players not named Dalton, Zakai or Jonas.

Agree, and I would add not getting killed by second chance points, another constant from our losses. Dominating the glass on both sides, balanced scoring, and clutch free throw shooting are the keys to winning any tournament game.

Our weaknesses are dominant big men, teams that slow it down and dictate pace, and at times, big guards who make life tough for ZZ/Gainey. We also struggle when teams play physical against us and the officials just let it go. If we can reel off multiple games where the entire team avoids stinking out loud at the same time, we can go deep. In our losses it's either Knecht hitting and everyone else is an iceberg, or the whole team is an iceberg like Miss State in the SECT.

Personally I want them to beat the best teams with the best healthy players and become the 2024 National Champs are The Tennessee Vols!

Reactions: dlravol2
Our weaknesses are dominant big men, teams that slow it down and dictate pace, and at times, big guards who make life tough for ZZ/Gainey. We also struggle when teams play physical against us and the officials just let it go. If we can reel off multiple games where the entire team avoids stinking out loud at the same time, we can go deep. In our losses it's either Knecht hitting and everyone else is an iceberg, or the whole team is an iceberg like Miss State in the SECT.

Speaking of which......I couldn't believe how much holding and jersey grabbing was happening and NO CALL or at least a warning. That hip check on Aidoo was ridiculous......lucky he wasn't hurt seriously.

Reactions: VolArmy74
Whatever speech Barnes made in pre-game yesterday, I hope he keeps it up. Or maybe they had better practices , but what ever it was, I hope they keep up the intensity

Reactions: feathersax
Just think. 4 of the 5 SEC losses we incurred during the season were to the three SEC teams that LOST yesterday. Does this mean that our odds are actually increasing since the # of teams remaining capable of beating us just went down by 3. Or, does it mean that we need to look out for the most "Mississippi State" like opponents left in the tournament. If we play like last night it may not matter. They were ready to go.
What it means is, going forward ANYONE out there can beat us!!!

Reactions: lefthander
What it means is, going forward ANYONE out there can beat us!!!
Texas is liked USCjr and Hail State in that they play slow and physical. Stats say they will not score much but do not allow much. Some certainly attributable to pace.
Thursday game meaningless as St Peters was by far the weakest team I have seen in the tourney(have not seen them all). I believe Awaka could be more effective as their bigs played tough which is not Aidoo game.
Vols are better team . Sure hope talent prevails.

VN Store

Back