A Little Respect for Tennessee

beefeater

If the moniker doesn't give me away, I'm a Texas Aggie looking forward to our game in Dallas on New Years Day. I've been lurking around here for a few days to absorb the culture a little, and I think that you guys are much like most Ags -- you love your school and want badly to win every game, but you want to do it with class.

I'm lucky enough to have a good friend who is a fairly influential Vol booster, and a couple of years ago he took me on a tour of the facilities up in Knoxville. I saw Neyland, however empty; I toured the football training facility; I even met Coach Fulmer. On TV, I had always thought that Phil had a bit of a doofus look about him; in person, though, one gets a measure of the true force of his personality. The man exudes cool confidence. I think he's a great ambassador for your school.

(I live in Fort Worth and got to know a few things about Coach Franchione when he was at TCU. I hold him in very high regard as well.)

Last Saturday -- the day of the SECCG -- I wore my Vol Navy shirt, not really guessing how the matchups would turn out. Honestly, I wasn't necessarily pulling for you guys in that game, as I have a number of Aubie friends, too, and I mostly want to see the BCS delegitimized whenever possible. (An undefeated SEC team getting shut out of the MNC game really should be more than enough.) When it became apparent that texas university would leapfrog Cal into the Rose Bowl and open up the Cotton for this matchup, I loved it. This would be a matchup of two great institutions with two great histories.

The Vol Navy. Old Army. Earl Rudder. General Neyland. Running through the T pregame. The Block T to end the halftime drill. Volunteers. The Corps of Cadets. Everything that makes college football great.

(OK, I'm not a big fan of Rocky Top. It would be like the Fightin Texas Aggie Band playing "The Front Porch Song" by Robert Earl Keen and Lyle Lovett. My Vol friend likes it even less than I do! But it is catchy, and it is very much a Tennessee song, so I can see the attraction.)

We'll fight each other like hell on the field, but in the end I'm sure we'll respect each other regardless of the outcome. It shouldn't be any other way with such great institutions. That's how it should always be, and I look forward to it all. Best of luck, Vols! Gig 'em, Aggies!

Welcome Sir, I don't know much about texas A&M, but your fellow aggies have shed some light, looking forward to a great game , it seems to me that you guys are underrated much as our team is , it should prove to be a great matchup, most of the volnation would agree with your disdain regarding the BCS (should be BS) , again welcome and come back anytime...GO VOLS! the real UT!

Welcome. Glad to see alot of good folks coming over, unlike other years, where we just have a bunch of flamers drive by.

Oh yeah, make sure you tell your Longhorn friends who the real UT is. LOL

We used to, back when TCU was in our conference.

Now that is funny! Seriously, where does "gig 'em" come from?

Attachments

• offense_5462_lg.jpg
    offense_5462_lg.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 0
Look under "Any and All Questions about Texas A&M", Gig'em has been covered there.

VN Store

Back