A View from Big Ben: Kent State

London Vol

GAME 3 – KENT STATE 14 SEPTEMBER 2024

So, we have now feasted ourselves on our three starters to our meal and now we move on to the main course at our favorite restaurant. The score of only 71-0 was a surprise when you are 65-0 up at half time against a Kent State side who were ranked 134 out of, yes you’ve guessed it, 134 in the national rankings. They were simply not up to the task and a number of records were broken, some BEFORE World War One. Oh, I wish these cupcake games were played in April, after all, College football no longer hides the fact that players are on the payroll and the Universities would improve their income stream with other games during the year and the football starved fans would turn out in force for anything in the Spring.

Anyway, back to Kent State, I have decided it is pointless to grade each unit as normal as it would just be a vanity project with a bunch of A+ but highlight the depth players who will form the backbone of the 2025 team. Last night was all about not getting injuries (Nico I was watching you with my hands over my face and peeping through tiny gaps as you continued to take unnecessary tackles) and getting reps for the back-ups.

QUARTERBACKS

I have often felt that Jake Merklinger should be the 1st name called after Nico, but I was wrong, Gaston Moore vastly outplayed him and secured the 2nd up role for rest of the season as he surprised me with not only his composure under center but his deep ball. It was a good chance once Nico erected his deckchair, to compare the two.

RUNNING BACKS
DeSean Bishop has been a very pleasant surprise as he has become the main backup due to firstly injuries and then inexperience of his other colleagues, but he again showed that this was well earned. 120 yards on 7 carries was classy, especially his jinking in the backfield. He doesn’t seem to be much of a drop-off of talent from either Dylan Sampson, Jaylen Wright and Jabari Small. We also had our first proper glimpse of true freshman Peyton Lewis (10 carries and 99 yards) and he was far better that Khalifa Keith and proves why Josh Heupel did not venture into the Portal after spring, as we have a three headed running monster already.

WIDE RECEIVERS
The main four WRs seem to have established themselves with Chris Brazzell the only one expected to be back next season, so I was interested in watching Mike Matthews and Braylon Staley who are both freshmen who were highly ranked in the 2024 class and both also showed up well in spring practice. It was Mike Matthews who really shone here, the YAC on a simple out route from his first catch showed his elusiveness, but the TD catch was a thing of beauty as he twisted in mid-air to snare a slightly inaccurate throw makes me wonder whether he should be in the starting four this season.

TIGHT ENDS
This Unit is already a established with all contributing in different ways this season already. Both Ethan Davis and Holden Staes are only able to come back next year so there was nothing new we could learn from yesterday.

OFFENSIVE LINE
The 2024 group are senior laden which means a) they should be really experienced this year but also b) the 2025 group will be inexperienced. Now we have some blue chip arrivals after this season but we all know that in the SEC any O`Line freshman will find it hard to shine, so I wanted to see if any of the existing depth O`Liners could show promise last night for next season. But as Lance Heard was a non-starter nobody really stood out for me at first viewing (I often need to watch the game again to observe this unit) but 456 yards on the ground sounds that they may have been some hidden jewels out there.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Like the O`Line the D`Line has a whole stack of players leaving after this season so it is interesting to see how Daevin Hobbs and Jason Moi are doing, and the answer was OK. But more interestingly for me was seeing how the most underrated Vol this season Joshua Joseph and the outrageously talented Jackson Ross was going to do last night and I was overall slightly disappointed that Kent State moved the ball as well as they did. People will point out 54 yards from 32 carries is pretty good for the Defensive Line but if the remove the five botched snaps resulting in 63 lost yards and a safety, the Golden Flashes ran for over 4 ypc.

LINEBACKERS

In 2025 Tennessee will be relying on Arion Carter, Jeremiah Telander Edwin Spillman and Jalen Smith and we already know what these guys are bringing to the table so this unit, like the Tight Ends is a known commodity already. Is there any chance of getting a 15th year for Keenan Pili?

DEFENSIVE BACKS
We are already quite inexperienced but talented at DB, so this season is a chance to bank 1st team reps for the likes of Jacobe Thomas, Ricky Gibson, Jordan Matthews as well as Jermod McCoy (did you see he defended a slant pass, something as rare as a Joe Biden coherent sentence) Boo and Edrees Farooq also flashed potential. The last name again stood out as he did last week against much stronger opposition and is one of those hidden gems. At this point it does finally seem that the DBs are not a liability to the team that they have been now for a few years.

Waiter, please bring me the main course of my gastronomic delight I’m hungry !!

GO VOLS

Last edited:
I am beginning to think that London Vol is Marvin West’s pen name. He is that good of a sports writer and analyst. His writing style is very similar.

But in reality we have evidence that LV is a real VFL across the pond. Thanks LV.

Thank you onevol74 for your kind words I will wear the VFL badge with honor, pardon my English ignorance, who is Marvin West?

Thank you onevol74 for your kind words I will wear the VFL badge with honor, pardon my English ignorance, who is Marvin West?
He is a retired sports writer. He is a UT grad and worked with the Knoxville papers until the 1980’s and then went with national media. I think he was an Associated Press writer. Correction, Scripts Howard.

Last edited:
Thank you onevol74 for your kind worAnotjhds I will wear the VFL badge with honor, pardon my English ignorance, who is Marvin West?
Hi LV! Another insightful analysis. We are out of town & didn't see the game, but it was a painful mismatch for Kent St. Marvin West is a legendary retired sportswriter for Tennessee. You'd enjoy his columns. Cheerio
:cool:

Last edited:

So, we have now feasted ourselves on our three starters to our meal and now we move on to the main course at our favorite restaurant. The score of only 71-0 was a surprise when you are 65-0 up at half time against a Kent State side who were ranked 134 out of, yes you’ve guessed it, 134 in the national rankings. They were simply not up to the task and a number of records were broken, some BEFORE World War One. Oh, I wish these cupcake games were played in April, after all, College football no longer hides the fact that players are on the payroll and the Universities would improve their income stream with other games during the year and the football starved fans would turn out in force for anything in the Spring.

Anyway, back to Kent State, I have decided it is pointless to grade each unit as normal as it would just be a vanity project with a bunch of A+ but highlight the depth players who will form the backbone of the 2025 team. Last night was all about not getting injuries (Nico I was watching you with my hands over my face and peeping through tiny gaps as you continued to take unnecessary tackles) and getting reps for the back-ups.

QUARTERBACKS

I have often felt that Jake Merklinger should be the 1st name called after Nico, but I was wrong, Gaston Moore vastly outplayed him and secured the 2nd up role for rest of the season as he surprised me with not only his composure under center but his deep ball. It was a good chance once Nico erected his deckchair, to compare the two.

RUNNING BACKS
DeSean Bishop has been a very pleasant surprise as he has become the main backup due to firstly injuries and then inexperience of his other colleagues, but he again showed that this was well earned. 120 yards on 7 carries was classy, especially his jinking in the backfield. He doesn’t seem to be much of a drop-off of talent from either Dylan Sampson, Jaylen Wright and Jabari Small. We also had our first proper glimpse of true freshman Peyton Lewis (10 carries and 99 yards) and he was far better that Khalifa Keith and proves why Josh Heupel did not venture into the Portal after spring, as we have a three headed running monster already.

WIDE RECEIVERS
The main four WRs seem to have established themselves with Chris Brazzell the only one expected to be back next season, so I was interested in watching Mike Matthews and Braylon Staley who are both freshmen who were highly ranked in the 2024 class and both also showed up well in spring practice. It was Mike Matthews who really shone here, the YAC on a simple out route from his first catch showed his elusiveness, but the TD catch was a thing of beauty as he twisted in mid-air to snare a slightly inaccurate throw makes me wonder whether he should be in the starting four this season.

TIGHT ENDS
This Unit is already a established with all contributing in different ways this season already. Both Ethan Davis and Holden Staes are only able to come back next year so there was nothing new we could learn from yesterday.

OFFENSIVE LINE
The 2024 group are senior laden which means a) they should be really experienced this year but also b) the 2025 group will be inexperienced. Now we have some blue chip arrivals after this season but we all know that in the SEC any O`Line freshman will find it hard to shine, so I wanted to see if any of the existing depth O`Liners could show promise last night for next season. But as Lance Heard was a non-starter nobody really stood out for me at first viewing (I often need to watch the game again to observe this unit) but 456 yards on the ground sounds that they may have been some hidden jewels out there.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Like the O`Line the D`Line has a whole stack of players leaving after this season so it is interesting to see how Daevin Hobbs and Jason Moi are doing, and the answer was OK. But more interestingly for me was seeing how the most underrated Vol this season Joshua Joseph and the outrageously talented Jackson Ross was going to do last night and I was overall slightly disappointed that Kent State moved the ball as well as they did. People will point out 54 yards from 32 carries is pretty good for the Defensive Line but if the remove the five botched snaps resulting in 63 lost yards and a safety, the Golden Flashes ran for over 4 ypc.

LINEBACKERS

In 2025 Tennessee will be relying on Arion Carter, Jeremiah Telander Edwin Spillman and Jalen Smith and we already know what these guys are bringing to the table so this unit, like the Tight Ends is a known commodity already. Is there any chance of getting a 15th year for Keenan Pili?

DEFENSIVE BACKS
We are already quite inexperienced but talented at DB, so this season is a chance to bank 1st team reps for the likes of Jacobe Thomas, Ricky Gibson, Jordan Matthews as well as Jermod McCoy (did you see he defended a slant pass, something as rare as a Joe Biden coherent sentence) Boo and Edrees Farooq also flashed potential. The last name again stood out as he did last week against much stronger opposition and is one of those hidden gems. At this point it does finally seem that the DBs are not a liability to the team that they have been now for a few years.

GO VOLS
I would say you see the same things that I and others see. Namely a good solid team with several things to work on and maybe some storm clouds out near the horizon.

Reactions: London Vol
Excellent again LV. Question? How'd you feel about the onside kick? Seems to be a bone of contention on this side of the pond?

QUARTERBACKS

RUNNING BACKS

WIDE RECEIVERS

TIGHT ENDS

OFFENSIVE LINE

DEFENSIVE LINE

LINEBACKERS

DEFENSIVE BACKS

GO VOLS

Excellent writeup and the Vols are about to feast on porterhouse steaks and leave Krystal's in the rearview mirror.

QUARTERBACKS

RUNNING BACKS

WIDE RECEIVERS

TIGHT ENDS

OFFENSIVE LINE

DEFENSIVE LINE

LINEBACKERS

DEFENSIVE BACKS

GO VOLS
Well done as always LV👏

Another outstanding effort, Good Sir!

A newspaperman friend of mine once said that doing something creative, repeatedly, and on a schedule, is WORK.

I'm sure you'd agree.

I can't tell you how many times I've looked a blank computer screen after a UT game and said to myself, "I got nuthin'."

View attachment 676948
I just love the hat :)

I must admit I try to use the opening paragraph to simply express how I feel about the game and then something pops up.. I have no idea about journalism I`ve never written anything like this before, I am an accountant for my sins. I just so glad that people seem to enjoy it.
Excellent again LV. Question? How'd you feel about the onside kick? Seems to be a bone of contention on this side of the pond?
A tricky one. Tennessee are playing a violent sport and then told it is "not gentlemanly to punch too hard". If the game is all about some practice then why not practice the on-side kick? Another reason is, it was for future opponents who will study every aspect of last nights game and give them something else to worry about.

I know I am waffling on and I can hear both arguments but coming back to the boxing analogy, if the fight is too much of a mismatch that perhaps the fight should not have happened in the first place.

I think we need to have a serious conversation about Sampson for hiesman…
Way too early. Although he plays with a vengeance, have to also give credit to the blocking. Hard for any running back to create miracles without good blocking. I am more impressed with the blocking overall than in years past; seems the coaches have put more emphasis on it to the players this year.

“The main four WRs seem to have established themselves with Chris Brazzell the only one expected to be back next season,”

You think Squirrel is leaving early? He’s pretty small for an NFL WR.

“The main four WRs seem to have established themselves with Chris Brazzell the only one expected to be back next season,”

You think Squirrel is leaving early? He’s pretty small for an NFL WR.
A toss up for me, Unless his numbers explode (and with so many mouths to feed I think it is unlikely) I hope and believe he will return, but as I say, at this time a toss up.

I have just read my article at the top and noticed I stupidly wrote Jackson Ross instead of Jordan Ross. So Typical of Volnation that 3k of you read the article and yet you were ALL too polite to correct me. I know when choosing a team to support in college football I chose well😊

Outstanding.

I now have three conversations to look forward to with equal anticipation after a Tennessee football game - The Maxims, Other Teams' Message Boards, and A View From Big Ben.

Reactions: London Vol

VN Store

Back