Advice/suggestions on medical alert devices for seniors.

JL24

Have a mother in law dealing with Parkinson's. Getting to the point where we need to start thinking about a medical alert system.

Something we haven't had to deal with before.

Appreciate any and all info.

Have a mother in law dealing with Parkinson's. Getting to the point where we need to start thinking about a medical alert system.

The most widely known is Life Alert. The problem is most seniors do not wear it all the time.
If she would keep her cell phone on her all the time, that's the best protection especially when voice activated calling is enabled.

Reactions: CPA and JL24

My sister had cameras installed in in mom's house. I believe she could talk to her.

Reactions: JL24 and McDad
My sister had cameras installed in in mom's house. I believe she could talk to her.
That's a great idea, too.

Concern would be bathrooms unless your mom agreed to a camera in there.

That's a great idea, too.

Concern would be bathrooms unless your mom agreed to a camera in there.
My mother's problem was memory and confusion. My sister lived 10 minutes from mom. She had a 2 cameras. the bedroom one caught the bathroom, But mom would close the door, and one time she fell. She was in there about 2 hours before my sister got to her.
She could talk to mom through the cameras, but she needed the internet.

Sis recommends getting a "occupational therapist" to come to the house and make changes. If she's on Medicare they will pay for it. First thing he did is remove the coffee table and put in soft ottoman.

So I guess everyone's circumstances are at least somewhat different.

Mom would forget to wear the life alert thing.

Reactions: McDad
My mother's problem was memory and confusion. My sister lived 10 minutes from mom. She had a 2 cameras. the bedroom one caught the bathroom, But mom would close the door, and one time she fell. She was in there about 2 hours before my sister got to her.
She could talk to mom through the cameras, but she needed the internet.

Sis recommends getting a "occupational therapist" to come to the house and make changes. If she's on Medicare they will pay for it. First thing he did is remove the coffee table and put in soft ottoman.

So I guess everyone's circumstances are at least somewhat different.
Bathrooms are the bad spot for falls. My wife is an OT and safety at home is indeed part of her scope. It's a good idea. Some seniors are incredibly stubborn about following recommendations.

Reactions: CPA and Go aeiou
I edited my post. Mom would forget to wear the life alert thing. Sister would leave notes around to help her, but she got tired of reading those so after a while they weren't much help.

VN Store

Back