An Alabama fans thoughts about Tennessee

successful click bait. and bama rat poison.
Actually this guy is decent and somewhat straight with his analysis on the vids I've watched. Still, I'd hold off on buying into the Vol Hype until we see how we fare against a very good defense and loud house this Sat in Norman.
Yup, long time Vol fans have all too often experienced the Sugar High of 3 and 0 start before running into the buzzsaw of the SEC schedule.
I think this team is different. But they still have to prove it Saturday night in Norman.
Cautious fans will recall just how confident we all were going into the swamp last year against a very mediocre Gator squad. You gotta deliver on the gridiron, not just on paper.

He's not wrong. But reeeeeeally wanna see this Oklahoma game before I get my hopes up. We need this Oklahoma game to be our LSU game from 2022. It was the game that opened up our players eyes and made them understand exactly how dangerous they were. And in the event that we lose the Oklahoma game, will the team keep their swagger?

Yup, long time Vol fans have all too often experienced the Sugar High of 3 and 0 start before running into the buzzsaw of the SEC schedule.
I think this team is different. But they still have to prove it Saturday night in Norman.
Cautious fans will recall just how confident we all were going into the swamp last year against a very mediocre Gator squad. You gotta deliver on the gridiron, not just on paper.
Tennessee is RARELY 3-0 to start a season, becaue we historically played and lost to UF in week 3. Any time we have started 3-0 it's typically a VERY good year for UT. With the possible exception of 2016 but that was 100% on Butch Jones being a fraud coach.

He's not wrong. But reeeeeeally wanna see this Oklahoma game before I get my hopes up. We need this Oklahoma game to be our LSU game from 2022. It was the game that opened up our players eyes and made them understand exactly how dangerous they were. And in the event that we lose the Oklahoma game, will the team keep their swagger?
100%. Two things on this gameā€¦

1. Good test as OU is the toughest competition to date

2. Conference road game. It seems most all our flat games have come on the road in a hostile environment. And boy will this be a hostile environment.

Iā€™m trying g to contain the hype until I see how we do against OU.

This team has all the tools. This weekend will tell a part of the story only - because even if they win in Norman, weā€™ve seen great opportunities flushed down the drain by our no-shows against beatable or inferior opponents. That South Carolina loss in 2022 was inexcusable . . . and last yearā€™s pathetic no-show in the Swamp was a failure of epic proportions.

But first thingā€™s first: beat Oklahoma on the road. Send those guys home with their first ā€œLā€ in the SEC.

Alabama is a tough game for us. It is a "no win" situation in that all the pressure is on Tennessee to show we are "back". Alabama has already won enough that they can live with a "down" year because they are CFB royalty at this point.

Tennessee is RARELY 3-0 to start a season, becaue we historically played and lost to UF in week 3. Any time we have started 3-0 it's typically a VERY good year for UT. With the possible exception of 2016 but that was 100% on Butch Jones being a fraud coach.
UF has actually been Week 4 for a long time (every year since 2013 with the exception of 2017 and last year). 3-0 starts have been rare as you said, but since 2013 it wasn't because of a loss to UF.

Alabama is a tough game for us. It is a "no win" situation in that all the pressure is on Tennessee to show we are "back". Alabama has already won enough that they can live with a "down" year because they are CFB royalty at this point.
I disagree. There will be a tremendous amount of pressure on DeBoer to prove that they haven't slipped from being a dominant program, and it's in Neyland. No matter how well either team will have played coming into that game, Bama fans will still expect to win and be shocked if they don't, even if we're favored.

I disagree. There will be a tremendous amount of pressure on DeBoer to prove that they haven't slipped from being a dominant program, and it's in Neyland. No matter how well either team will have played coming into that game, Bama fans will still expect to win and be shocked if they don't, even if we're favored.

I guess so. Perhaps I just see it from Vols perspective. Call it BVS or whatever but I just find a hard time bragging to some of these opposing fanbases like Alabama, UF, and Georgia when they have utterly dominated us for 2 decades.

I really want us to go on a 5-10 year tear were we beat all of them year after year like they did us and win by 2-3 touchdowns.

I guess it is pride.

Our series record is

22-28 vs Georgia

21-32 vs Florida

38-60 vs Alabama

When I first became a Tennessee fan, we were within 10 games of tying Alabama and had winning records against Florida and Georgia. We were considered a better program than both Florida and Georgia. The last 20 years has been rough. No SEC Championships, going 0-3 against those teams and most years getting manhandled, being the laughing stock of the nation. It is hard for me to go brag online to people with what we went through.

I guess it is pride.

Our series record is

22-28 vs Georgia

21-32 vs Florida

38-60 vs Alabama

When I first became a Tennessee fan, we were within 10 games of tying Alabama and had winning records against Florida and Georgia. We were considered a better program than both Florida and Georgia. The last 20 years has been rough. No SEC Championships, going 0-3 against those teams and most years getting manhandled, being the laughing stock of the nation. It is hard for me to go brag online to people with what we went through.
The only one of those that is truly embarrassing is UF. Over the last 15 years or so, basically every time we have played UGA and Alabama they've been the better team on paper. Often by huge margins. Alabama is in the midst of the greatest run the sport has ever seen, and UGA has been playing at an incredible level since 2017.

UF is different. Not only have they have not been a power program since Urban left, at times they have been downright embarrassing and laughable, yet we've beaten them twice since 2005.

Reactions: volbound1700
The only one of those that is truly embarrassing is UF. Over the last 15 years or so, basically every time we have played UGA and Alabama they've been the better team on paper. Often by huge margins. Alabama is in the midst of the greatest run the sport has ever seen, and UGA has been playing at an incredible level since 2017.

UF is different. Not only have they have not been a power program since Urban left, at times they have been downright embarrassing and laughable, yet we've beaten them twice since 2005.

Georgia wasn't that great from 2010-2016 but we only beat them twice. That wasn't good. The fact is that Tennessee should have just been a better program.

I do think 2001 was the turning point for Tennessee in Atlanta against LSU. Tennessee never quite seem to be that elite program that I remembered after that game. 2002 was a season where Tennessee started # 4 in the nation and was the consensus pick to win the SEC but flopped to 8-5 and started the end of the Fulmer dominance IMO. Fulmer had decent seasons after it but nothing like his 1995-2001 run.

The fact is that Tennessee just hasn't been relevant until recently. Let's keep that in mind when talking smack. I want to see Tennessee do more before we head down that path.

Reactions: Volwonder1
Georgia wasn't that great from 2010-2016 but we only beat them twice. That wasn't good. The fact is that Tennessee should have just been a better program.

I do think 2001 was the turning point for Tennessee in Atlanta against LSU. Tennessee never quite seem to be that elite program that I remembered after that game. 2002 was a season where Tennessee started # 4 in the nation and was the consensus pick to win the SEC but flopped to 8-5 and started the end of the Fulmer dominance IMO. Fulmer had decent seasons after it but nothing like his 1995-2001 run.

The fact is that Tennessee just hasn't been relevant until recently. Let's keep that in mind when talking smack. I want to see Tennessee do more before we head down that path.
They were a hell of a lot better than us.

Reactions: volbound1700
Actually this guy is decent and somewhat straight with his analysis on the vids I've watched. Still, I'd hold off on buying into the Vol Hype until we see how we fare against a very good defense and loud house this Sat in Norman.
I'm rooting for a name change. After Saturday, it shall be known as Heupels house.

Agree...that being said, it's great to be back in the "respect" zone in SEC...where we belong.

VN Store

Back