An Undiscussed Position (t.e.)

givm6

I know....I know....I know.....we dont use the tight end. its a universal belief that the Vols wont use a tight end.....minus Witten of course.....but what is gunna happen at that position? Do we have any big guns out there?

I read that they have mixing up the Tight end and Fullback positions....having FB's play Tight end and Tight ends playing in the FB position some. I think that is what they said anyway. Could be interesting.

I think UT needs to use them a little more. They used the TE's more than I thought they would last year....but still didn't do it much.

I heard that too OWB. I really like Chris Brown. Anderson could play there as well, he has great hands for a guy of his size. Maybe Holbert will be ready to play more FB and Anderson could take some snaps at TE.

I have a feeling that Anderson is going to be a huge part of our offense this season. Last season he proved that he could do it all. The only thing that bothered me about him was the holding penalties. He seemed to have more than the average amount, or maybe I just thought he did.

Using him at TE could be big. If you run him across the middle some, he would be hard for a linebacker to bring down. With all of the threats that we have on offense, mixing up the FB and TE positions could add an even bigger threat to defenses. :good:

Anderson is the man, whether it be at fullback or tightend. He is an awesome athlete if he can be that big and move well enough to play fullback. If Anderson does end up at fullback, I really like Chris Brown at tight end.

Jeff Cottam is a highly touted tight end. Maybe a year or two down the road he could be as valuable as Jason Witten was.

we needed jason witten. we dont need a receiving tight end now.

to many weapons. the tight will just fall down the ladder.

as long as they can block i dont care.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Apr 4, 2005 8:42 PM
we needed jason witten. we dont need a receiving tight end now.

to many weapons. the tight will just fall down the ladder.

as long as they can block i dont care.

Yeah but think about it. If we have someone step up at tight end this year, it will be REALLY hard to defend. I know that they will be there to block first, but you can never have too many offensive options.

The big question always with the tight end is how important is it to have an extra blocker (e.g. lineman) for the run game vs. an athletic ball catcher that can cause match up problems but releases more. Fullbacks can block but usually from a position where they can attack (some distance between them and the target) vs. a lineman approach of firing off the line. It is a rare combination that can handle the blocking duties (primary responsibility) and also be an offensive threat. Whitten was one of those. Given the history of UT ball, it is more important to have the blocking expertise - especially given the talent at receiver. If we get back to the dominant run game, the passing lanes open up. :twocents:

as a old defensive player I can tell you the tight end bootleg play, if executed correctly is undefendable. ball snapped...play action fake....QB rolls out....has the option to toss to the TE or run. This play is deadly, especially with the wideouts the Vols have....in respecting the speed the dbs gotta play deep....a TE would be deadly. :twocents:

I was watching a few of my Tivo'd game last night and realized what a force we have in chris brown. man....if we mix him and cory in and out and rotate'em......we sure could have a confusing, potent attack. anyone remember the kentucky player backing off him and not even attempting to hit Anderson....even though he was still SIX YARDS OUT!?!?!? LOL! that could be a nice weapon we have (mixing and switching brown and anderson) that many opponets may not prepare for....

Originally posted by dan4vols@Apr 5, 2005 12:44 AM
as a old defensive player I can tell you the tight end bootleg play, if executed correctly is undefendable. ball snapped...play action fake....QB rolls out....has the option to toss to the TE or run. This play is deadly, especially with the wideouts the Vols have....in respecting the speed the dbs gotta play deep....a TE would be deadly. :twocents:

tee to pearless........tee to wilson.......tee to copeland...........national championship

however......finlayson wasnt all that much of our offense. just imagine the possibilities IF we had a great one!

VN Store

Back