Anonymous Coaches talk about the Vols and SEC

JAllen18

VFL
Coaches talk anonymously about SEC East teams | Saturday Down South

Florida Gators
“Oddly enough, and I don’t think they were the best offense, but Florida was the most difficult offensive team to prepare for last year. They have so many different personnel groupings, and they can do so many different things, and their identity changed on a weekly basis. They are kind of like South Carolina – they want to win games on defense and not turn the ball over. They are trying to find their identity. They probably thought they had their identify at one point, but then some of the bigger, stronger teams of our league kind of challenged that identity. I like Will Muschamp. I respect him a lot. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. His mentor is Nick Saban, and he put his stamp on the team in Year 2 in regard to toughness and winning games in the kicking game and on defense.”

Georgia Bulldogs
“Aaron Murray is really good. If you commit people to stop the run and put one-on-one on the perimeter, he has such a nice feel with his wide receivers. If you play two deep or quarters, then they will kill you with the run. It’s the combination of Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall that kills you…They don’t wow you with Xs and Os because they don’t have to. They will remind you of the Miami teams in the 2000s. They lined up in pro sets and twins and you got a chuckle out of it, then 450 yards and 42 points later they got the last laugh…Gurley and Marshall complement each other so well. Gurley runs tackle to tackle as well as anyone. He bullies you and he is a big boy, but don’t underestimate how fast he is.”

Kentucky Wildcats
“Kentucky, for the past few years, hasn’t had anybody that’s scared you on offense, on the perimeter or at running back. When your best player is your right guard [Larry Warford], that’s probably a little bit of a problem. I’m sure Mark Stoops will come in and attract some talent. The fact of where Lexington is and his ties to Ohio, you will see an outside the box thinking as far as recruiting. Stoops is well regarded as a defensive coordinator. Offensive coordinator Neal Brown is very confident. He has a little bit of a swagger to him.”

Missouri Tigers
“I respected their scheme tremendously. They got off to a decent start last year. Between James Franklin and some of the other guys getting hurt, especially on the offensive line, they really had trouble moving the ball. And I think the overall SEC took its toll on them as the year went on. WR Dorial Green-Beckham didn’t do much at all, and he was the No. 1 recruit in the nation. I get the impression he needs to mature a little bit. The running back coming back from injury, Henry Josey, he’ll be dangerous if he returns healthy. Really talented back.”

South Carolina Gamecocks
“I like quarterback Connor Shaw. He’s underrated. All he does is win. And he is fiercely tough. Dylan Thompson may be the more talented of the two, and clearly South Carolina knows that their defense is legit, and if they don’t turn the ball over and make mistakes, they will win a lot of games. They should be able to absorb the loss of Marcus Lattimore. Mike Davis is a very good back. Ace Sanders was a great return guy and a good slot receiver. I always thought he was dangerous, but I didn’t look at him and say he was an elite wide receiver in the league. He’s a loss, but they have established some really solid depth at receiver.”

Tennessee Volunteers
“They will be an up-tempo, no huddle spread offense that will play with a lot of enthusiasm. Butch Jones hired some coaches with some experience in the SEC, like John Jancek and Willie Martinez, who know the league and the type of player it takes to be successful in this league. The offensive line was very good. Losing OL coach Sam Pittman may hurt more than losing any of the players. They have won two SEC games in two years. That is bizarre. It just shows you how fiercely competitive the SEC is – for a school with those resources to have only two wins in two years. Butch Jones is a hit ‘em in the face kind of guy who will try and win back the state of Tennessee in recruiting.”

Vanderbilt Commodores
“Their wide out, Jordan Matthews, is pretty good. He’s really good, actually. He’s pretty athletic, and he will make guys miss. Keeping him is pretty big. He had a chance to go to the NFL. The quarterback that transferred from Wyoming [Austyn Carta-Samuels], they feel he’s as talented as the guy they had, Jordan Rodgers. You know, the won nine games and play you really tough, but I think they’ll be middle of the road – the middle of the pack in the SEC. But the next step is to become an elite SEC team, and I’m just not sure they have the personnel yet.”

Reactions: 4 people
I was kind of surprised that Pittman was held is such high regard. I know he's respected but to say losing him is a bigger loss than losing Tiny, James, Stone, etc. is over the top.

It is amazing how UT could only win 2 SEC games in 2 years. It wasn't just Dooley, but the buck certainly stopped with him. Certainly better times ahead!

Reactions: 1 person
sounds like that coach is a dumbfounded as the fan base on what the program has turned into. And clearly he sees that Butch gets it.

I was kind of surprised that Pittman was held is such high regard. I know he's respected but to say losing him is a bigger loss than losing Tiny, James, Stone, etc. is over the top.

It is amazing how UT could only win 2 SEC games in 2 years. It wasn't just Dooley, but the buck certainly stopped with him. Certainly better times ahead!

I'll have to respectfully disagree. I think it was completely Dooley. I think he was the worst hire in UT history and from the start he was in over his head. I think now that he's gone it'll be a return to the glory days.

Reactions: 2 people
I'll have to respectfully disagree. I think it was completely Dooley. I think he was the worst hire in UT history and from the start he was in over his head. I think now that he's gone it'll be a return to the glory days.
I have never seen a coach like him who took over a well stocked, talent laden program at the top and drove it off in a ditch like that. We were what...... like 11-1 the last two seasons before he arrived?

Somebody else "gets it". Good post.

I have plowed the same ground you just did with a boat load of facts and it all gets lost on here. We have basically the same talent level as USCe based on class rankings. They have won 11 games two years in a row. It's all on the coaching - 100%. From schemes to techniques to conditioning to attitudes to actual performance. Most pathetic excuse for a Vol head coach ever. Bottom feeder variety. Chaney wasn't good until Pittman came and fixed the O-line and the running scheme which had the RB lined up NINE yards behind the ball. The normal is 6-7. Wilcox worked miracles with what he had to deal with and then Dools and Bama Dave bring Fred Flintstone and the guys from the quarry to replace him.

The sad part is Bama Dave would have kept Dools if he has won another game or two. I'm thinkng of Garth Brooks' song about unanswered prayers when fans were wanting the team to win a few games at the end of the season to have a winning record and a bowl. Thank you, Lord. It forced Hart's hand and he lucked into getting Jones & staff.

Reactions: 3 people
I have never seen a coach like him who took over a well stocked, talent laden program at the top and drove it off in a ditch like that. We were what...... like 11-1 the last two seasons before he arrived?

Don't use stats or figures. You'd almost think he was a desperation hire or something and that, considering how unheralded he was, he pretty much lived up to what he should be. At least he recruited the likes of CP and parts of the O line we have now. And let's not mention what would've happened had hart given wilcox the extension he wanted...

Don't use stats or figures. You'd almost think he was a desperation hire or something and that, considering how unheralded he was, he pretty much lived up to what he should be. At least he recruited the likes of CP and parts of the O line we have now. And let's not mention what would've happened had hart given wilcox the extension he wanted...

Dooley was horrible but there can be some good things said about him also.

(1) He did not have the respect of his players.

(2) He can't coach.

However;

(1) He can recruit.

(2) He started the VFL program.

Dooley was horrible but there can be some good things said about him also.

(1) He did not have the respect of his players.

(2) He can't coach.

However;

(1) He can recruit.

(2) He started the VFL program.

he could not recruit! I agree Dooley was the worst hire in UT football history. He would not listen nor was a leader of men. The team thought he was a joke and they played accordingly. Hate is a strong word but I really dislike the guy. Since everyone agrees he is not stupid you have to call it like it is, he never had the school's interest at heart.

I understood it as he was referring to losing the players this past year.

It's just easier for some people to blame everything on Dooley. Simpler that way with only 1 guy to scapegoat. Plus it has the added benefit that you can expect CBJ to turn everything around immediately because all the problems left with CDD...right?!?!?

Dooley did, however, keep the NCAA away when it seemed that UT was always in the news for some violation or another. I'll give him that.

The point is that our football program was like a 25 year old worn out Ford Pinto when Dooley was hired. Most mechanics would likely refrain from trying to turn the old Pinto into a Mercedes for a highly critical, unreasonable owner. He had time to rebuild some of the parts, replace the tires, and slap a cheap paint job on it. It is now a nicer Pinto.

The point is that our football program was like a 25 year old worn out Ford Pinto when Dooley was hired. Most mechanics would likely refrain from trying to turn the old Pinto into a Mercedes for a highly critical, unreasonable owner. He had time to rebuild some of the parts, replace the tires, and slap a cheap paint job on it. It is now a nicer Pinto.

To use your analogy, a lawyer was trying to fix the car instead of a mechanic.

He also thought he knew everything about cars even though he doesn't know how to drive....which is why no one ever wanted to be a passenger in the car in the first place

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back