Anybody seen this??

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
This is a computer poll that picks the best teams of all time.

Check out who's #2.

LINK

Originally posted by volmanjr@Oct 21, 2004 10:19 PM
sweet!.... do you know how they calculated the ranking?

No clue. While I love that 98 team, I'm not sure they are the second best team of all time.

Originally posted by Fadeproof@Oct 22, 2004 8:22 AM
I dont like to live in the past but there is no way the 1980 DAWGS are 117.

You don't think? Too high?

Just kidding. You are right though, that's pretty low for that team.

1980 dawgs should be much higher than 117th...and all the notredumb teams should lose 10 spots for hype! :ph34r:

Here's a breakdown of how many teams each school had ranked in the Top 200:

20 Oklahoma
17 Notre Dame
16 Alabama
12 Ohio State
11 Southern Cal.
10 Miami, Fla.
9 Nebraska
8 Texas
8 Florida State
7 Auburn
7 Penn State
6 Tennessee
6 Michigan
5 Georgia
4 Michigan State
4 Army
3 Pittsburgh
3 LSU
3 Mississippi
3 Florida
3 Minnesota
3 Arizona State
3 Georgia Tech
3 Maryland
2 UCLA
2 Syracuse
2 SMU
2 Colorado
2 Kentucky
1 Brigham Young
1 Washington
1 Iowa
1 North Carolina
1 Princeton
1 Navy
1 Indiana
1 Illinois
1 Houston
1 Stanford
1 California
1 Clemson
1 Oklahoma State
1 Oregon

Here's a breakdown based upon each team's current conference:

SEC 45
BigXII 40
BIG11 35
ACC 26
IND 22
PAC10 20
BigEast 5
WAC 2
IVY 1
CUSA 1
MtnWest 1

Remember,
SEC contains former SWC member Arkansas...
BigXII is the former Big8 with a few SWC teams, namely Texas...
BIG11 includes former independent Penn State...
ACC includes Ga Tech (SEC), Fla St (ind), and Miami (ind & BigEast).

Those rankings seem to be a little odd to me. I think the nebraska teams deserve some of the spots they took. The 98 TN team was incredible too, but I think the 92 Bama team at least deserves to be higher than the 91 Miami team. Oh, well. They also have the top programs of all time listed and it just reinforces my hatred for Notre Dame (#1 Hype team).

I would like to say good luck on Saturday but I wouldnt mean it. But I do hope for a good game, and for me that mean Alabama wins.

No Flame Intended!

VA Bama Fan

"I don't know, we haven't played Alabama yet." -- Vince Lombardi after being asked what it felt like to be the greatest football team in the world just after winning the '66 Super Bowl.

just reinforces my hatred for Notre Dame (#1 Hype team).

see Vol fans and Bama fans can agree on some things... welcome to the nation and good luck Sat :ph34r:

:welcome: Va bama fan
hope you enjoy serious football conversations with the fans of other teams this is one of the best boards.

1998 Tennessee 13-0 (#2)
1956 Tennessee 10-1 (#101)
1938 Tennessee 11-0 (#159)
1950 Tennessee 11-1 (#163)
1951 Tennessee 10-1 (#165)
1970 Tennessee 11-1 (#179)

Interesting teams on the list from a Tennessee perspective:

1959 LSU 9-2 (#195) -- Although the Vols finished 5-4-1 for the season, they beat No. 1 LSU 14-13 on a goal line stand. They stopped LSU's Billy Cannon. The Vols lost their final 3 games after being ranked as high as No. 9.... they finished the season unranked.

1989 Auburn 10-2 (#149) -- The Vols (11-1) were co-SEC Champions in 1989 and beat Auburn 21-14. The Vols finished 5th in both polls, while Auburn was 6th.

1990 Colorado 11-1-1 (#172) -- The No. 8 Vols (9-2-2) opened the season against No. 5 Colorado in the Pigskin Classic. The game ended in a 31-31 tie as the clock ran out before the Vols could set up for a possible game winning field goal. Tennessee went on to win the SEC Championship that season and finished the season ranked No. 7 and 8. Colorado won part of the split National Championship.

1997 Florida 10-2 (#76) -- Although the Vols (11-2) lost in Gainesville, they went on to win the SEC East and then the SECCG over Auburn. The No. 3 Vols, playing with an injured Peyton Manning, lost to No. 2 Nebraska in the Bowl Coalition Championship game. The loss dropped the Vols to 7th and 8th in the polls. Florida finished 4th and 6th.

Cant stand just mouthing off senseless crap.
I do however like to talk about SEC Football. I live in Southwest VA now, and all I hear about is VA Tech. What a bunch of Johny Come Lately's. Unti Frank Beamer arrived and started winning a few games you couldnt scare up 2 Tech fans in all of Blacksburg.

For Saturday I think the key for Alabama is going to be defense (cause God knows we dont have much of a passing game, and if you think hard enough where are you gonna put 8 guys). All these predictions for 17 - 14 and ive seen one 23-20 are crazy. Either we get blowed out (please God, if there is anything Holy left in this world dont let that happen) :bow: , or Bama wins by a field goal. Erik Ainge is scary, not really because he is phenomenal now, but good grief in 2 years if he keeps improving I may not be able to show my face around here.

SO:
Bama stop the passing game first and get Ainge rattled, and then shut down Riggs.

"I don't know, we haven't played Alabama yet." -- Vince Lombardi after being asked what it felt like to be the greatest football team in the world just after winning the '66 Super Bowl.

hopefully Ainge's rattling is over thanks to Auburn and a class act such as you can come back regardless of how Ainge developes.... and I bet CPF will be running Riggs at you guys pretty hard to see if you can shut him down ...the boy is starting to blossom :ph34r:

Unfortunately.....yes he is. But I think if he starts to see that this defense may be better than most you have faced, it might impact his psyche. Ive already started some Mojo here in VA to affect him, hope it works.

Its gonna be a show I dont want to miss. I was offered tickets to the game, but I dont think my heart could take it. In that sea of Orange if we loose, I might just have to die. I really liked that post "Why I hate Alabama". I think I am that guys polar opposite, matter and anti-matter, and if by chance we meet at the game some astronomical worm hole would open up and swallow us all. I cant stand to see us lose to TN, it depresses me 364 days a year. I dont want to even get started on Auburn.

How do TN fans generally feel about Auburn, I know you hate them this year, but as a whole?

"I was determined to block that field goal. There was no way I was going to let Alabama lose." Safety Stacy Harrison after blocking a field goal in the Tide's 9-6 win over Tennessee in 1990

Generally, and speaking for myself, the Georgia and Florida rivalries that have developed since the early '90s have supplanted the Auburn rivalry.

The Auburn game used to be the Vols first SEC game every season.... now it is Florida.

Its kind of sad, but I think the Auburn game is just like any of the other SEC West games in the rotation. The Ole Miss game was also an annual rivalry that has lost some luster.

:twocents:

Yeah the Florida game really started to weigh on you guys. The way I feel about it, everytime we play an SEC game its like a rivalry. But if I had to list my favorite SEC teams in order it would be

1. ALABAMA
2. hmmm...cant really think about a number 2 haha.

Hey, I bleed Orange and you guys will probably cuss me, but I would have a tough time betting on the '98 team over most of those other top-10'ers. I remember a particular school that starts with "N" and rhymes with Tabraska that made us look like a bunch of fools in one particular Orange Bowl.

To me, that's one of the special things about that year. You know, from day one, nobody thought we'd go that far. It was a "rebuilding" year. We narrowly escaped Syracuse. . . .the OT win against Florida. . . .the infamous Arkansas goof. . . .

But, it was a team with HEART. We've probably had better players and maybe even better teams, but, to quote the old adage, too much "I" in team (see Kelley Washington. . . .current news about childish stupidity getting people kicked off. . . .etc. etc.).

Greatest of all time? Not so sure. A team that cared and wanted to win, willing to fight like hell EVERY week? You betcha.

I wouldn't start comparing the 1998 team to the 1999 one. There were alot of the same players... but there were a couple of KEY missing players. Al Wilson was the heart and soul of the defense in 1998. Very hard to replace him. Leading receiver Peerless Price and also Jermaine Copeland were not on the 1999 team. Fullback Shawn Bryson had also moved on to the NFL.

Let's look at the talent of the 1998 team:

The Quarterback was of course Tee Martin. He spent 4 seasons in the NFL and is currently in the CFL playing for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Running Backs were Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry and Travis Stephens. Fullbacks were Shawn Bryson, Phillip Crosby and Will Bartholomew. Every one of these backs have been in the NFL. Lewis, Henry and Bryson have led NFL teams in rushing over the course of a season. Henry has had back-to-back 1000yd seasons. Lewis rushed for over 2000yds last year.

Wide Receivers were Peerless Price, Jermaine Copeland, Cedric Wilson, and David Martin, Eric Parker. Again, all of these guys have been in the NFL. Price, Wilson, Martin, and Parker are all currently active in the NFL. Copeland has led leagues in receiving and been an all-star in NFL Europe, XFL and now the CFL.

Offensive Line: C Spencer Riley, RG Cosey Coleman, RT Jarvis Reado, LG Mercedes Hamilton, LT Chad Clifton. Also Josh Tucker, Toby Champion, Bernard Gooden, Reggie Coleman. Cosey Coleman, Chad Clifton are active in the NFL. Reggie Coleman played in the NFL. Mercedes Hamilton and Josh Tucker played in NFL Europe.

Defensive Line: Shaun Ellis, Jeff Coleman, Darwin Walker, Corey Terry, Billy Ratliff, Fred Weary, DeAngelo Lloyd. Shaun Ellis is an NFL all-star. Walker starts for the Philadelphia Eagles. Fred Weary currently plays for the Houston Texans. Terry played a few seasons for the Jaguars. Lloyd played in NFL Europe.

Linebackers: Westmoreland, Al Wilson, Thompson. All of these guys start in the NFL. Al Wilson is an NFL All-Star.

Def. Backs: Steve Johnson, Dwayne Goodrich, Fred White, Deon Grant, Andre Lott. Grant and Goodrich went on to start in the NFL. Grant is active, while unfortunately Goodrich is out of the league due to legal problems. Steve Johnson spent time with the Packers and in NFL Europe. Lott plays for the Redskins.

-------
Offensively, the Vols of 1998 rushed for 2536 yards, good enough to lead the SEC and average 211.3 yards per game. Also scored 27 rushing TDs.

The Vols finished 3rd in the SEC in passing effeciency of 144.7, which includes 2250 passing yards, 20 TDs and only 7 interceptions.

Finished 4th in total offense, 398.83 ypg, but 2nd in scoring offense, 34.0 ppg.

Defensively, the Vols finished 2nd in the SEC in scoring defense, 14.4 ppg, and total defense, 303.0 ypg.

The Vols led the conference in takeaways with 33 taken and 17 given.

And these stats were with a QB with no previous starting experience and against a schedule that included 5 teams ranked in the Final Top 25 and a Miss State team that was ranked prior to losing to the Vols in the SECCG.

Originally posted by allvol@Oct 22, 2004 11:20 AM
1997 Florida 10-2 (#76) -- Although the Vols (11-2) lost in Gainesville, they went on to win the SEC East and then the SECCG over Auburn. The No. 3 Vols, playing with an injured Peyton Manning, lost to No. 2 Nebraska in the Bowl Coalition Championship game. The loss dropped the Vols to 7th and 8th in the polls. Florida finished 4th and 6th.

Interesting that this team is on this list. Out of the UF teams in the 90's, I honestly thought this was not one of their better teams. Mabye it's just because of the crossed-eyed freak, Doug Johnson that was playing qb for them.

I personally think their '98 team was better, especially on defense.

Originally posted by allvol@Oct 22, 2004 11:20 AM
1998 Tennessee 13-0 (#2)
1956 Tennessee 10-1 (#101)
1938 Tennessee 11-0 (#159)
1950 Tennessee 11-1 (#163)
1951 Tennessee 10-1 (#165)
1970 Tennessee 11-1 (#179)

Interesting too that the 38' Vols made the list, but not the 39' team. The 39' Vols didn't give up a single point during the regular season.

VN Store

Back