Anyone hear about the SEC using Instant Replay

Volsaholic

SEC coaches favor instant replay

By From wire reports
January 16, 2005

SEC football coaches favor immediate adoption of instant replay.

Eleven of the league's coaches heard from commissioner Mike Slive on Tuesday at the American Football Coaches Association annual convention in Louisville, Ky.

"I think it is fair to say that the coaches were very enthusiastic about the idea," Slive told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Other conferences, including the ACC, have discussed replay. The Big Ten used limited replays this past season.

"What it does is address a situation where there seems to be an obvious mistake," Georgia coach Mark Richt told the newspaper. "Everybody wants to get those kind of calls right. You don't want a game decided on what is clearly a blown call."

SEC athletic directors will consider in March whether to adopt a replay system.

I think it's long overdue

i heard about it. it would be very wise to due. lets just hope they dont change our playoff system.

I don't see how difficult it would be, just run a cable TV hookup down to the sidelines. The bad calls are as clear as day when seen on the Score Board Video or TV.

It worked VERY well in the Big 10 last year. Anytime you have a chance at making a bad call right you should be all for it!

Do it. The test trial worked in the Big Ten, I don't see why it wouldn't work in the SEC.

i have seen some pretty big blown calls. remeber when we played alabama two years ago and got screwed out of the game when bama recovered a fumble that never should of been and cost us the game.

We will see the replay in the SEC, but do you think that takes away from why we love NCAA football? The unpredictablility of college ball is what makes it exciting.

no i dont think so. i dont want to know someone won because of a blown call. it also relives some pressure off of the refs because if they miss one call then they can review. i hope this doesnt come back to bit us. :cross: :cross:

Originally posted by Volstorm@Jan 20, 2005 7:07 PM
We will see the replay in the SEC, but do you think that takes away from why we love NCAA football? The unpredictablility of college ball is what makes it exciting.

You need unpredictable plays. Not unpredictable plays based on crap calls.

That's why I'm asking everyone. Think about "the drop" from 2000. That was made up for by last years pass interference call. Over time it all washes out.

Originally posted by vols2345@Jan 20, 2005 4:46 PM
i heard about it.  it would be very wise to due.  lets just hope they dont change our playoff system.

What playoff system??

Tennessee always plays the Zebras :beer: ......its never gonna change :beer: .....I do however feel that Instant Replay would be a good idea......unforunately it won't stop those phantom holding calls.......

I don't think there are challenges anyways. I forget exactly how it worked in the Big Ten, but it was pretty different from how they used it in the NFL, if memory serves me correctly.

no challenges just an official watching replays who decides if a call is questionable and needs review.

No way . . . the game would last 8 hours because they would be reviewing every play.

Originally posted by vols2345@Jan 20, 2005 9:40 PM
i have seen some pretty big blown calls. remeber when we played alabama two years ago and got screwed out of the game when bama recovered a fumble that never should of been and cost us the game.

and don't forget when the Bama qb was on his knees throwing to the receiver, who was also down on a knee, and they scored?

I really think the I.R. in College Football should be more similiar to the NFL......now I know that College Football is different than the Pros......but coaches should be able to challenge the plays too........at least let them challenge in the second and fourth quarters or something like that.......the zebras will STILL have an advantage if they aren't able to..... :beer: so lets get IR and let it be more like the pros......anyways it'll have to be in the future......what's the sense in having it if you can't have it in full force......

Attachments

• ref.jpg
    ref.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0

VN Store

Back