Anyone Remember the Bone?

All Vol!

Fairly obscure little piece of trivia here I'd imagine, but do any of you remember back around the '83 or so B-ball season when someone associated with the UT mens' basketball team (maybe a player - I don't remember) found a big bone of some sort at an excavation/construction site in Knoxville, and for some reason, they thought it was like an ancient burial ground type of bone with some special significance, and after going on a several-games win streak, they started claiming it was because of the bone. Fans at the games starting bringing signs that said "Bone Power," and the whole team even appeared on the Knoxville news during sports singing a song they put together that said something like, "Ain't no stopping us..we got the bone, we got the bone."
I swear I didn't dream this...somebody help me out here! :peace2:

Tony White was on that team. I remember the bone. I think they even had a local commercial they did about it. I'd love to see a you tube video of that. :)

Fairly obscure little piece of trivia here I'd imagine, but do any of you remember back around the '83 or so B-ball season when someone associated with the UT mens' basketball team (maybe a player - I don't remember) found a big bone of some sort at an excavation/construction site in Knoxville, and for some reason, they thought it was like an ancient burial ground type of bone with some special significance, and after going on a several-games win streak, they started claiming it was because of the bone. Fans at the games starting bringing signs that said "Bone Power," and the whole team even appeared on the Knoxville news during sports singing a song they put together that said something like, "Ain't no stopping us..we got the bone, we got the bone."
I swear I didn't dream this...somebody help me out here! :peace2:
Put down the pipe and slowly step away...

ALLVOL I could have so much fun with the title of the tread but I choose the high road.

watch it. :lol:

Nobody remembers the bone? Man I'm old.

Nothing like a mediocre team, led by Tony White and Fred Jenkins, rallying around a bone.

"Ain't no stopping us..we got the bone, we got the bone."

bone.jpg

:whistling:

Nothing like a mediocre team, led by Tony White and Fred Jenkins, rallying around a bone.

Glad I'm not the only one to remember. Tony White was the only thing that made that team worth watching. I must have watched that Auburn game about a 100 times when he dropped in 51 points. I also had a video of the next week's game where they did an entire segment on the "Wizard" and his 51. It was great.

If I remember White and Jenkins came in the same class together.

there doesn't appear to be much in the way of resources to support this, but for some reason, I was thinkin' Federman was on that team? Maybe not, freak...no?

Wasn't there a radio station in K'ville called the bone? Maybe 104.5 The Bone.

ok, yeah...not that this will jog any memories, but I thought I remembered the song that they did about the bone was a take-off on a popular song from that time or before; a little googling, and wallah! The bone song they did was taken from the song "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" by a band called Whitehead. Anyway, for the heck of it, the lyrics start like this...

Ain't no stoppin' us now,
We're on the move.(We're on the move)
Ain't no stoppin' us now,
We got the groove.(We got the groove)

Not that this is proof that I ain't dreamin' all of this, but it's another piece of the puzzle, lol...:yes:

I swear I didn't dream this...somebody help me out here!

That is possibly the greatest thing I've ever heard. Our basketball team had a magical bone....priceless.

VN Store

Back