AshG's Thoughts and Experiences in Primary, Secondary, and College Ed

AshG

Easy target
I've been meaning to do this for a while, as there's a lot of discussion about education that keeps popping up in different threads. I'll be sharing my perspectives as a veteran educator at the K-12 level, a local association officer, a new professor in higher ed, and as the son-in-law of a former principal / state president of TEA and his school librarian wife.

I'm going to treat you with respect and try to grow from this. Just be kind to each other, please.

I'll start off with a quickie that I hope you enjoy:

I don't believe college is for everyone. I believe too many people are pushed into it. My brother didn't even finish his Associates degree and makes twice what I do. And that's ok, because we both love our jobs and support our families.

Now here's a video on the futility of many college degrees. Enjoy!

I don't believe college is for everyone. I believe too many people are pushed into it. My brother didn't even finish his Associates degree and makes twice what I do. And that's ok, because we both love our jobs and support our families.

I started ranting about the same thing, and realized I should just leave it at: I agree

Reactions: AshG

I agree with you Ash college is not for everyone. My brother is a perfect example of why someone should not be forced into college. Long story short he wasted his time and My step father’s money because he should have learned a trade to begin with avoiding college completely. Unfortunately, he has no degree after pissing away countless opportunities and unlimited financial assistance. Thankfully after many trials & errors over the years he has his life straightened out operating his own handyman business with endless amounts of clients. He should have started this company from the get go.

OTOH I had a wonderful college experience years ago and obtained my degree. No one offered or stepped in to pay for my education so taking it seriously was the only option. My job in laboratory science over the years has been a great experience that brings me joy. Thanks for the thread.

100% agree.

Reactions: AshG

VN Store

Back