Athlon Rankings

vols3131

Athlon sports has Tennessee preseason ranked #2 in the 05 magazine. The website hasn't said so yet but the magazine is out here in Kentucky.

Well, we really have a lot to live up to.

I hope that 1 loss doesn't start the whole Fulmer/Sanders firing threads

Originally posted by U-T@May 24, 2005 3:15 PM
I hope that 1 loss doesn't start the whole Fulmer/Sanders firing threads
[snapback]97672[/snapback]​

One loss??? You know as well as I do that one bad HALF and some fair weather, malcontent will sprint to their keyboard and post their expert opinion on where the coaches are going wrong.

Death, taxes and armchair quarterbacking.....

Oh I know but I could see us winning the East again with 2 losses and still see some bashing our team/program.

As great as this high ranking is...it sets us up for nothing BUT a disappointing season in some eyes.

Now, in my eyes? If we win the East, I call it a successful season. Win the SEC? A great season. Win the NC? Another dream

I think based on this years talent (even though we have a difficult schedule) we need to win an SEC champioinship this year. It's been too long since our last SEC title and we lose a lot of talent this season. IMO, an East title is not good enough for me this year (barring unforseen injuries).

Originally posted by U-T@May 24, 2005 3:33 PM
Oh I know but I could see us winning the East again with 2 losses and still see some bashing our team/program.

As great as this high ranking is...it sets us up for nothing BUT a disappointing season in some eyes.

Now, in my eyes? If we win the East, I call it a successful season. Win the SEC? A great season. Win the NC? Another dream
[snapback]97677[/snapback]​

I agree U-T. Personally, I look for 9 victories and then just hope we have a shot at the end to win the other 2. People seem to really be hyping this year's team without even considering that with road trips to Florida, LSU and Notre Dame along with the rest of the schedule, we could be better talent-wise but end up with the same record as last year.

Tell you what, I am holding my breath on this one. I want to win the whole thing so badly, but things happen and if we do, we do, and if we don't, we don't.

I will be so disappointed because I really want this one for our program.
Everybody will be after us and we will have to be "Up" every single game. No letdowns allowed or we will disappoint a lot of people and be prime fodder for all the U.T. critics.

We have to be ready come UAB and not let up until we kick somebody's butt in the NC!!!!!!! :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:

Originally posted by surrealvol@May 24, 2005 8:06 PM
Tell you what, I am holding my breath on this one.  I want to win the whole thing so badly, but things happen and if we do, we do, and if we don't, we don't.

I will be so disappointed because I really want this one for our program.
Everybody will be after us and we will have to be "Up" every single game.  No letdowns allowed or we will disappoint a lot of people and be prime fodder for all the U.T. critics.

We have to be ready come UAB and not let up until we kick somebody's butt in the NC!!!!!!! :rocks:  :rocks:  :rocks:  :rocks:  :rocks:  :rocks:  :rocks:
[snapback]97730[/snapback]​

I am so damn psyched. Let's get started already. The team is loaded, but it really comes down to two things....we need ot avoid the big injuries and the secondary needs to improve.

I'm hoping for an SEC championship. I don't think my hopes are too high there. I would think this year's team pulled their share with a trip to Nawlins.

1. If our defense is consistent and plays well, we can beat anybody.

2. If our offensive line is good, we can win with whichever QB plays.

I believe our biggest worry right now is that we have only one "practice" game before we play Florida and LSU. If the team has grown enough and learned enough to win those two games...then, WATCH OUT!

National Championship here we come... :twocents:

Originally posted by MtHomeVol@May 25, 2005 1:50 AM
I believe our biggest worry right now is that we have only one "practice" game before we play Florida and LSU.

National Championship here we come... :twocents:
[snapback]97927[/snapback]​

No doubt, playing UF and LSU early is tough but I think that it could be an advantage for us this year with the new coaches etc. I think that both teams are going to be a lot tougher towards the end of the season. UF might have some trouble early on with their offense and the same could be said for LSU. I hope that we go to both places and dominate them. :gun:

Originally posted by TitanVol@May 24, 2005 3:39 PM
I think based on this years talent (even though we have a difficult schedule) we need to win an SEC champioinship this year. It's been too long since our last SEC title and we lose a lot of talent this season. IMO, an East title is not good enough for me this year (barring unforseen injuries).
[snapback]97683[/snapback]​

"lose a alot of talent this season"? Do you really think we are losing that much talent this season? Riggs is a big loss, but Foster is a prime time back that should be ready after understudying with Riggs this season. Allen is a big loss, but we have plenty of top-flight young studs in the secondary. We don't even have enough spots for the DB's we have this season. The LB corp will be hit with the biggest loses, and that is the only position that I think will have a big question mark going into next season. QB, WR, RB, O-Line, D-Line, and Secondary will all be stacked again next season. Fans should be excited about this season, but even if UTK doesn't win the NC this season fans should realize we will have another legitimate chance the '06 season.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@May 25, 2005 6:44 AM
No doubt, playing UF and LSU early is tough but I think that it could be an advantage for us this year with the new coaches etc.  I think that both teams are going to be a lot tougher towards the end of the season.  UF might have some trouble early on with their offense and the same could be said for LSU.  I hope that we go to both places and dominate them. :gun:
[snapback]97934[/snapback]​

Thats a really good point. Both teams will still be getting the feel for their new coach. Both teams will be much better at the end of the season, so you gotta see the silver lining...at least we play them early. That is more of an advantage for us than it is for them.

A very good chance! Plus we get the following week off after Ala-B.
Another good week of prep work for the next 2 huge away games.

Originally posted by IBleedOrange24/7@May 25, 2005 8:49 PM
Another good week of prep work for the next 2 huge away games.
[snapback]98060[/snapback]​

That off week worries me more than having to play UF and LSU away. Hopefully this team will have some focus.

Yep, focus is the key, that along with chemistry. This team has the talent, it just needs the intangibles.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@May 25, 2005 7:56 PM
That off week worries me more than having to play UF and LSU away.  Hopefully this team will have some focus.
[snapback]98064[/snapback]​

I think the off week helps us

VN Store

Back