Backup Running Backs

utvols82

From what I've heard Arian Foster is going to be a great Running Back, but Ja'Kouri Williams, and Davis Yancey are right behind him.

IMO' Foster, Williams not Yancy. Yancy has game experience but just really doesnt run with authority. With everyone seeming to say we dont need a #2 back all that bad. I cannot agree we need a guy to step in and step up!

Riggs will do the job and do it well this yr. But what if he gets injuried?
He's a SR, do we come into spring practice 06 with out a clear cut starting halfback? Good new's is CTT will have them all prepaired when they do get the call!!

To start season:
Riggs
Foster
Williams
Yancy

by seasons end:
Riggs
Foster
Williams
Hardesty
Coker
Yancy

i dont think hardesty and coker will pass up yancey this year, because i believe they will be redshirted. i think that if riggs is injured we may have a situation like in 98 when lewis went down. we will run both since they have different styles. the only question i have is what will we do next year with 4 young backs(foster, williams, coker, and hardesty) and one older back(yancey). all 5 have different running styles.

I believe Williams could be a difference maker. With his speed they could split him out wide in the slot and let him make plays through the passing game as well as running the football.

Originally posted by IBleedOrange24/7@May 24, 2005 2:10 AM
With everyone seeming to say we dont need a #2 back all that bad.
[snapback]97598[/snapback]​

:blink: Which Tennessee team have you been watching for the past umpteen years? The way we like to "pound the rock" requires us to shuffle personnel, in order to keep fresh bodies and legs in the game.

I think Fulmer et al shift backs for a couple of other reasons, as well:
1. to change up the offensive tempo/style and keep the defense guessing
2. to motivate each other (you know the old "anything you can do I can do better" thing?)

Everyone seems to forget that Yancy won out among all RB's last summer. Of course Trooper was overriden by CPF but Yancy was impressive to say the least. I think he's a close second but will most likely be third string.

Actually last Summer Riggs was the clear winner but Fulmer overrode Trooper in favor of the Senior Houston. Yancey finished 3rd in that race.

vol67 do you think Williams has the size to be a first or second string tailback at Tennessee? He had some nice runs in the O&W game but after standing next to him I am concerned about his size/durability.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@May 24, 2005 10:15 AM
:blink: Which Tennessee team have you been watching for the past umpteen years?  The way we like to "pound the rock" requires us to shuffle personnel, in order to keep fresh bodies and legs in the game.

I think Fulmer et al shift backs for a couple of other reasons, as well: 
1. to change up the offensive tempo/style and keep the defense guessing
2. to motivate each other (you know the old "anything you can do I can do better" thing?)
[snapback]97637[/snapback]​

Just from here' everyone seems to have decided riggs wont get enough carries due to all the other weapons, and the fullbacks will help with the load etc. Im very aware of the ground game! Im glad CPF keeps this O' the same and doesnt change much if anything. Ive asked before about a #2 back because it to me is a concern. I was only speaking as some just think it isnt an issue. I dont think my post/response was clear. We need a clear cut #2 back by mid-summer.

Originally posted by Vol67@May 24, 2005 1:35 PM
Actually last Summer Riggs was the clear winner but Fulmer overrode Trooper in favor of the Senior Houston. Yancey finished 3rd in that race.
[snapback]97666[/snapback]​

I thought a some point Yancey beat out everyone. Maybe not.... I'll go back and look for it.

I'm sure that it is proably going to be arian foster at the two spot, but I think this could be the first year in recent history were our second running back doesn't get about 10 to 15 carries every game. the load is clearly on Riggs, but from what I have heard, that is how Riggs wants it.

Originally posted by TitanVol@May 24, 2005 5:10 PM
vol67 do you think Williams has the size to be a first or second string tailback at Tennessee? He had some nice runs in the O&W game but after standing next to him I am concerned about his size/durability.
[snapback]97687[/snapback]​

Williams is alot like Garner was a great change of pace but right now I don't think he could be an everydown back.

no one will be a clearcut #2 by mid-summer but by the time the 1st game rolls around it will be Foster.

Riggs will get 20 to 25 carries a game.

Originally posted by Z06Vol@May 25, 2005 11:05 AM
I thought a some point Yancey beat out everyone. Maybe not.... I'll go back and look for it.
[snapback]97955[/snapback]​

I think I remember Yancey having a pretty big Orange and White game in 2004. Maybe that's what you're thinking about.

Originally posted by VOL_AHOLIC@May 25, 2005 3:01 PM
yancey was one step away from breaking a bunch of runs wide open.

yancey is my bet.
[snapback]97989[/snapback]​

When?

orange and white game.

78 yards on 11 carries..not sure his stats from the spring orange and white game.

made a few close calls in the cotton bowl too.

he did have a 4.8 average.

It'll be between Foster and Williams.....Yancey don't run with any authority...He needs that to run in the SEC and he just don't do it

As I remember, Yancey had one "flash in the pan" -- a decent TD run late in the SC game?

people said the same thing about travis stevens.

havent seen anything on foster/williams..anyone got any footage?

The only way Yancey see the field is a bunch of injuries or mop up duty.

Most of yancey's yards came against back-ups or wore down weak defenses while he had fresh legs. If Yancey is the 2nd string back UT is in trouble.

Anyone and I mean anyone who saw the spring game this year will tell you Williams is head and shoulders a better back than Yancey, the big drawback with Williams is size and the question of durability and that will not be answered till this fall.
Trooper call Foster the most natural RB UT had last year. His drawback has been the block schemes and that is why he didn't pull away during spring The understanding is he is a fall player not a spring player, plus he did get hurt in the spring and that slowed his learning.

Riggs is the next Munoz, living off his fathers name. Waaaaay Overated. He will end up behind both Foster, Williams and/or one of the true freshman. I'd love to eat my words, but I don't believe I will.

Before last year, I would slightly agree. But what about the 1,000+ yards rushing last year makes you think he's a bust?

Riggs ended the season strong. You can't complain about what he did to Auburn. He had a decent game against aTm and like GaVol said, he ran for over 1000 yards sharing with Houston.

I think that Riggs will be even better this year. He will get the heavy amount of the carries and that will keep him in more of a rhythm. All depends on the OL though. If they can't open the holes, Williams might be better suited since he has the speed to turn the corners.

I have never even seen Foster run so I can't talk about him. I think that Yancey might be too small for the Tennessee running game.

VN Store

Back