BAD OMEN? BEING PICKED TO WIN SEC?

WA_Vol

"In fact, only twice since the league expanded in 1992 has the preseason favorite at the SEC Media Days ended up winning the title - Florida in 1994 and 1995."

I read the above, and was surprised. After reading Tennessee was picked to win the SEC, began to wonder if that is a bad sign....

I guess its still better then being picked to finish second, or worse last.

No it just means even the media blind squirrels find an acorn every now and then. If you read what they write 90% of the time it's lacking in research and only rarely do they get it right. Same with pick the pre-season champ, they sometimes get it right.

I think the Vols were the safe pick for the media. They don't know if Meyer's offense will click this year and they don't know how well UGA will play with the lose of Greene, Pollack and others. :banghead:

THis yrs UT's team reminds me of last yrs UGA team and vice versa. UGA was highly favored while UT wasnt thought of as a serious contender with two frosh at QB.

I disagree.

Shockley scored the only TD's against Tennessee last season. He has been held behind pretty boy Greene, but he has some talent. Richt has mis-used him in his four years. I will say this, and I HATE UGA, but Shockley is a LOT closer to Tee Martin than C.J. Leak.

Originally posted by BeltwayVol@Jul 31, 2005 6:40 PM
UGA has two freshmen at QB?
[snapback]120141[/snapback]​

No..but I'll take Ainge or Claussen over him anyday. Shockley just hasn't come through when needed...he came in against UF and through an INT that put UF in the lead and changed the whole momentum of the game and cost them to lose.

Originally posted by NCGatorBait@Jul 31, 2005 5:14 PM
THis yrs UT's team reminds me of last yrs UGA team

That makes sense.

I'm not so sure about the second part.

The second part is how it went down... Even if you look back to the preseason threads here, nobody expected to win more than 8 games last season. And those were the diehard fans.

I think UT has a great chance of running the table if:

The off-field problems stop and we learn from them.

Our secondary is as improved as most believe it will be.

We develope a good punter. We've lost one of the best punters in our history.

The team's leaders step up and provide the kind of leadership that's needed to go undefeated. This point worries me. I don't see an Al Wilson on this team.

The players don't get jealous if Ainge, Clausen, Riggs, or whoever steps up and gets the media attention. Teamwork may be an overused cliche, but it is vital.

We get some luck and breaks along the way. Every championship team has to have some.

VN Store

Back