Bad Tackling

Memphis_Volunteer

For the past several years now, I have noticed that our tacking is...well...terrible. I feel bad tackling has lost us some games, and SC's over 200 yards rushing last Saturday was, in my opinion, undoubtedly due to bad tackling on our part. Who's at fault for this? Frankly, it's becoming a little bit frustrating to me. :banghead:

Yep, the tackling hasn't been too hot. Jason Allen is racking a bunch of them up, but I don't think that your free safety getting 30 tackles in 2 games is the best thing. At least he is doing it though. Our defense has improved big time though since the start of the season. The secondary looked a lot better in the USC game. We are going to have some good years with these guys only getting better. :good:

I've been frustrated with UT's tackling the past few years also. I blame the coaching staff. Chavis needs to hold his position coaches accountable for the players executing poor fundamentals.

It looks as though are players are being taught to just hit the person as hard as possible and not wrap them up. That's a big mistake. :nono:

It's not just us. There's an epidemic of poor tackling going around. Everybody wants to hit, but nobody wants to wrap up. Corners and Safties especially have gotten really bad at form tackling.

I was thinking exactly what GA Vol said. It's all over the NCAA. I watched alot of the GA/Florida game and the Gators were horrible at tackling this weekend. Also, if Oklahoma State could have wrapped up at all they would have beat the Sooners. It's even spreading to some NFL teams. I'm a huge Raiders fan and they absolutely can't tackle. Well, for that matter, they can't do much else either. Whoever thought of bringing in Kerry Collins should be drug out into the street and shot. Anyway, tackling is horrible all over anymore. I think that big hits have their place like trying to shake the ball out of a receivers hands just as he catches it but don't try to lay a booming hit on a guy that's broke open a run and is "running downhill" at you. In that case just wrap the guy up so you can at least slow him down if nothing else.

DD

Simple answer --- Chavis

Why would a player at UT really care about tackling when they know they won't be sit down for not doing it right.

A contibuting factor 20hr practice week.

Another factor seems to be that a lot of guys are trying to strip the ball too frequently. IMO, that should maybe be the job of a second man if the first has the play wrapped up. If you're using one arm to rip and punch at the ball, that leaves only one to take the ball carrier down -- and I don't care if you can bench 450, you won't make many tackles with one arm.

and I don't care if you can bench 450, you won't make many tackles with one arm. [/QUOTE]

Unless you are Omar Gaither. Anybody see that play he made where he warded off a block on a swing pass and brought down the ball carrier one handed. That one had the people in the stadium gasping. :bow:

I heard that they only wrap up and release in practice (something Fulmer picked up from the Titans) no full tackling in practice and my coaches growing up always told us that you play like you practice :ph34r:

Unfortunately with the physical specimens on the field and the pressure to not get anyone hurt, most in season practices have become yesterday's walk throughs.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Nov 2, 2004 9:00 AM
Another factor seems to be that a lot of guys are trying to strip the ball too frequently. IMO, that should maybe be the job of a second man if the first has the play wrapped up. If you're using one arm to rip and punch at the ball, that leaves only one to take the ball carrier down -- and I don't care if you can bench 450, you won't make many tackles with one arm.

It was very evident in the South Carolina game that the defenders were trying to strip the ball. Gamecock running back Summers was averaging 1 fumble for every 9 carries this season. Makes me think the coaching staff was probably teaching that this week? Especially after Chavis' comments about giving up yardage while trying to cause turnovers in the 4th quarter.

Originally posted by volmanjr@Nov 2, 2004 11:38 AM
I heard that they only wrap up and release in practice (something Fulmer picked up from the Titans) no full tackling in practice and my coaches growing up always told us that you play like you practice :ph34r:

Oh man that is so true.I remember in eighth grade when there was a fumble or blocked kick ,we were taught to jump on it and cover it up.I had a blocked punt and could have picked it up and ran it in for a score,but it clicked in my head to just jump on it and cover it up.I was just doing what was drilled in my head.

Originally posted by GIVEHIM&#045;6+Nov 2, 2004 4:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GIVEHIM-6 @ Nov 2, 2004 4:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-volmanjr@Nov 2, 2004 11:38 AM

Oh man that is so true.I remember in eighth grade when there was a fumble or blocked kick ,we were taught to jump on it and cover it up.I had a blocked punt and could have picked it up and ran it in for a score,but it clicked in my head to just jump on it and cover it up.I was just doing what was drilled in my head. [/quote]
And i bet that still kills you that you didn&#39;t score. :D I know the feeling, I replay plays and situations all the time.

VN Store

Back