Bama, Georgia and everyone else.

One could also interpret those stats as Tennessee is the reason those offenses are ranked so low. Not Kent St but maybe the other 3.

Not coming at you just having flashbacks to Stats 101.
There’s no doubt the Vols D has negatively impacted their numbers…. No question about that. I’m too lazy to look at what the Vols D did to each versus what their avg. per game is…. My guess would be that it’s below it. OK wouldn’t have had squat if not for the 4th quarter keep everything in front of you defense the Vols were playing

Reactions: Dobbs 4 Heisman
They’ve played OK St., Auburn, UAB and aTm
Auburn #50
aTm # 52
UAB #57
Ok St #129
And their about to play # 1
How on earth do you come up with "tiers" when they can and will change weekly the way the season is playing out?

How are TX and UT not on tier 1 but on the same level as LSU, SC, and KY based on what we've seen so far?

Why is Ole Miss a tier above MO? Both appear to be overrated paper tigers.

Anyone on 'tier 3' can beat LSU, KY, or SC, and probably will before this is all said and done.

And on and on ...........
He heard it on TV

I’ve been watching the games where we destroyed three teams with zero offense and almost no defense. I watched the OU game that had a pretty good defense and, at best, a mediocre offense. OU is nowhere close to Bama and UGA from what I’ve seen. Most here understand UGA and Bama are far different teams than we’ve played so far
But those teams looked the way they looked because of our defense. OU scoring average is 28, NC State is 25, etc. Maybe the offenses are bad because of our defense. Both can be true.

4 Tiers = 4 Teams per Tier 2024 Season to date

Tier 1

Alabama, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee

Tier 2

LSU, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Missouri

Tier 3

Texas A&M, Arkansas, South Carolina, Kentucky,

Tier 4

Auburn, Florida, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt
This^ is more like it.

There’s no doubt the Vols D has negatively impacted their numbers…. No question about that. I’m too lazy to look at what the Vols D did to each versus what their avg. per game is…. My guess would be that it’s below it. OK wouldn’t have had squat if not for the 4th quarter keep everything in front of you defense the Vols were playing
I'm also too lazy to look into it as well!
GBO

Reactions: Carl Pickens
But those teams looked the way they looked because of our defense. OU scoring average is 28, NC State is 25, etc. Maybe the offenses are bad because of our defense. Both can be true.
This is why I think next week will give us all a better idea of how good the D actually is.
Arky can move the ball and their QB is mobile.

I’m enjoying the hell out of this season so far…the negs have seen a crack and they have pounced. The pumpers are holding their ground! Negs are tier 1 followed closely by tier 2 pumpers. The negs have brought in their analysts and the pumpers are waving the battle flag. Meanwhile the trolls are gathering up under the bridge ready to attack. Going to be a hell of a season!!

I think we beat bama by two scores and Texas beats Georgia too, to me us and Texas are the two best teams..
Texas plays has the easiest schedule in the SEC. They may win the conference and not even have to play the best teams. Every other member of the SEC got screwed so that they could have a cake walk first year. Are they the best team? Maybe...but we will never know.

How you can watch that game and say Georgia and Alabama, is head and shoulders above everyone else is a head scratcher… put the bottle down…
They aren’t and based on Texas struggling with MS St most of the game, neither are they. Frankly I’m not sure there is a “complete“ team out there this year. All of the top teams have weaknesses.

I agree that Bama and Georgia are both good teams. But Bama is asking Milroe to do a lot on offense. If he runs like he did last night in all these games, he’s going to get banged up.

Scheduling dictates who you play. Sh1tting on your team and being a constant nagging thorn in the rear gets old pretty quick. These same two world beaters beat the same caliber of teams we have in less than stellar manners and yall are up in arms. When we win how we are suppose to win and look and it's we haven't played any body yet..... GTFO
No one’s nagging. It’s just a simple we won’t know how good the defense is until next week.

On your other point, who have we played?

Not saying we’re elite, but definitely could be.

Someone is having a spazz attack.

Reactions: Mccage
True, and fair point. I do hope this defense shuts down all the rest of them. Nothing would be better than seeing Bama and UGA struggle to even put two field goals on the board.

I would say we look more athletic than them. Just look at it this way. Mike Matthews is a stud 5-star true freshman (who in my opinion is just as good as Ryan Williams) but he can't crack our starting lineup. Neither can 5-star Jordan Ross. But Alabama had a freshman starting at CB who got the game saving pick and obviously Ryan Williams got the game winning TD.

We don't need true freshman saving us. That should tell you how talented we are.
Mike Matthews has been on the bench mostly because of injury, that’s been reported. I do agree with everything else you’ve said, you’re spot on with us being tier 1. Neither of those teams scare me, we can absolutely win both.

Reactions: HighRockvol
No one’s nagging. It’s just a simple we won’t know how good the defense is until next week.

On your other point, who have we played?

Not saying we’re elite, but definitely could be.

Someone is having a spazz attack.
Let's talk Defense without the stats or opponent's.
The trenches --- Depth and quality probably the best I have seen at UTK
The Middle --- Solid with stars Depth is good and experience
The Secondary --- Not as experienced but hard nose

Defense. Speed, gang tackles, and knows how to tackle. Lays the wood.
Banks --- has grown and is better at making adjustments and putting the team in the right schemes.

Offense.
Still finding themselves or governing what they need to do to win the game.
A couple of splash plays here and there but governed.
The Trenches is an issue along with depth, but the bye week could not have come at a better time.
Solid backs and dependable. WR group is solid, fast and have hands.
QB play and turnovers rests mostly on the OL in the game. It is not that he is holding the ball too long it is that the OL line breakdowns.

Coaching both sides of the ball
CJH said what we need to hear clean it up, penalties, missed assignments, and protection.
Adjustments are being made this bye week.
Banks has done the same.
Anything can happen: the intangibles of the game. Based on coaching and athletes there is enough to adjust.
If Arkansas' defense is average the game will be in hand the first half. I think Arkansas has a below average Defense.
TIFWIW. Not over confident, just confident.

Last edited:
Reactions: StuckInBamaVol
What a game.

Georgia wins this game by a larger margin in Athens.

We are now seeing the best at this point in the season of GA and Bama, and I haven’t seen a team that can hang with this.

Either way, same ole same ole.

I think this is what we expected,

Albeit, when you consider what we have seen so far, the margin is smaller.

I expect to see more separation between these two from the rest of the pack as well as between the tier 2 teams to create a 5th tier.

I think TX will either join Bama and Georgia, or join some teams in tier 2 that separate themselves from the rest.

As of now, I think you have to put a lot of teams in tier 2.

Tier 1 = Bama, Georgia

Tier 2 = LSU, SC, KY, Ole Miss, Tennessee, TX

Tier 3 = TA&M, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Florida, Vanderbilt, Missouri

Tier 4 = Miss St, Auburn

Tennessee has a heck of a challenge ahead of itself.. I think we have been a little high on ourselves considering the stats we have put up and the competition we have faced so far.

Tennessee has to get a LOT better. I also think this bye week, while early, came at a very good time.

If we stay healthy and get better… who knows? But as of now, it seems we may be a big step away from beating GA or Alabama.
Where is Ohio State?
Tennessee is better than Ole Miss, and that will be proven when we play Kentucky.
We are one of the best 3-5 teams in the country, and that is tier 1.

Our offense hasn’t got close to its potential… so we just imagine ourselves into a better team?
What I was basically saying is that we are much better and haven’t reach our full potential on offense. Go back and watch the locker room video after the OU game. They pretty much say as much.

Plus our Defense alone, playing the way they have has made us a better team.

No imagination necessary!

100%. I think it’s all on the OL. It will be two years in a row the OL is a problem and if our D holds up, fans may be wanting another OL coach. We just lost Utu to Oregon.
We lost Utu because he knows he isn't going to play tackle over Sanders. Sanders is the better OT, the staff told Utu he would play inside because the recruits we have are better outside than he is.

VN Store

Back