Baseball America -- Way too early Top 25

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member

7. Tennessee (60-13, 22-8)

It’s been a tough go for reigning champs in recent years. Mississippi State and Mississippi missed the NCAA Tournament in each of the two seasons following their titles. LSU had to scramble after a poor start to the SEC season to get in. Can Tennessee avoid a similar hangover in 2025?

The good news is the Volunteers bring back center fielder Hunter Ensley, Freshman All-American shortstop Dean Curley and a couple of key arms in Nate Snead and Dylan Loy. The bad news is they must replace six regulars in the lineup, their entire rotation and the back end of the bullpen. Tennessee has a high-level recruiting class and hit the portal hard, bringing in high-level players like infielders Gavin Kilen (Louisville) and Andrew Fischer (Mississippi). Figuring out how the pieces best fit together will be critical for Tennessee this fall.

New poster here. Go Vols! I’m intrigued by the rise of Coach V & UT. Started watching college baseball more closely a few years back, the championship team set the bar high on Rocky Top for years to come.
Welcome to the asylum! Lots of great folks. Beware the gamethreads. Idjits abound there. Good luck in yer journey!

Last edited:
#7 seems fair, IMO. We lost a ton. Hard to put us much higher just based on all of the uncertainty on how the new faces will shake out. Where my surprise comes in is A&M. They should be pre-season #1. I know they have a new coach, but they return basically the entire team from the national runner-up. Who knows how things shake out for them, but placing LSU ahead of them is silly. Putting Florida and Clemson ahead of them is extremely silly.

#7 seems fair, IMO. We lost a ton. Hard to put us much higher just based on all of the uncertainty on how the new faces will shake out. Where my surprise comes in is A&M. They should be pre-season #1. I know they have a new coach, but they return basically the entire team from the national runner-up. Who knows how things shake out for them, but placing LSU ahead of them is silly. Putting Florida and Clemson ahead of them is extremely silly.
Clemson hasn’t been to Omaha for a while. However, Sully has taken UF to Omaha 50% of his seasons in Gainesville. Hard to think they’re not a top 8 team. Texas will be the sleeper. Schlossnagle took both TCU and Tamu to Omaha. He’ll have Texas in Omaha soon.

I’d have aTm #1 and FSU #2.

That surprised the heck out of me. His slot (81st overall pick) was somewhere around $1M.
Texas Tech just paid $1 million to get a softball pitcher. A&M can top 3rd round money for a baseball ace with little effort. Their boosters are motivated to make Schloss look dumb for leaving.

I’ve always believed there should be no rankings until around mid season no matter what sport it is. Rankings are for nothing but tv ratings early in the season.

Reactions: tn4elvis

VN Store

Back