Baseball Social Media...

stonesk

Why does Vol Baseball not get any of the Vol Films love like the football team gets?! Not that I need any more of a reason to get pumped for tonight, but the pregame "reels" or videos, that they produce before big football games, get the juices flowing!!

I'm gonna guess its because the baseball program already operates in the red and therefore the University is unwilling to spend any additional resources than necessary. I could be wrong about that.

I'm gonna guess its because the baseball program already operates in the red and therefore the University is unwilling to spend any additional resources than necessary. I could be wrong about that.
So with all the fans in the stand at Vols baseball games they are in the red, money wise. What about TV money also. They got to be making some money or they wouldnt be doing construction at LNS.

Why does Vol Baseball not get any of the Vol Films love like the football team gets?! Not that I need any more of a reason to get pumped for tonight, but the pregame "reels" or videos, that they produce before big football games, get the juices flowing!!
They need to have the Weigel’s marketing team help them out lol

So with all the fans in the stand at Vols baseball games they are in the red, money wise. What about TV money also. They got to be making some money or they wouldnt be doing construction at LNS.
I will see if I can find Hubbs breakdown, but it was pretty close to $2 million in the red.

Edit: More like 3.7 mil in the red

Last edited:
They need to have the Weigel’s marketing team help them out lol
From TOS........ FYI 2024 won't be available for a little while:

Here are the 2023 numbers for the year (entire season):

Ticket sales — 1.2 million
Donations — 1.5 milion
Media rights — $18,537
NCAA revenue — $85,675
Concessions — $497,680
Licensing — $772,070
Camps — $243,152

Total revenue — 4.3 million

Expenses:

Scholarship expenses — $989,742
Payments to opponents —$56,950
Vitello — 1.7 million
Assistants — $896,519
Support staff — $123,451
Recruiting — $150,465
Travel — 1.3 million
Equipment — $323,014
Game expenses — $397,181
Camp expenses — $243,152
Debt service — $365,460
Overhead expenses —$679,158 (security, event management, stadium work like pressure washing, field repairs, etc)
Membership/association dues — $1,950
Meals (non-travel) — $215,840

Operating expenses — 8 million

Net loss — 3.7 million

Donations — 1.5 milion
Media rights — $18,537
NCAA revenue — $85,675
Concessions — $497,680
Licensing — $772,070
Camps — $243,152

Expenses:

Vitello — 1.7 million
Assistants — $896,519
Support staff — $123,451
Recruiting — $150,465
Travel — 1.3 million
Equipment — $323,014
Game expenses — $397,181
Camp expenses — $243,152
Debt service — $365,460
Overhead expenses —$679,158 (security, event management, stadium work like pressure washing, field repairs, etc)

Net loss — 3.7 million
Why couldn’t Tennessee have planned a stadium the size of Dudy? Seems like with Tony at the helm it has no trouble selling out.

Upgrading facilities is just a cost of doing business.

Reactions: Frozevol
Why couldn’t Tennessee have planned a stadium the size of Dudy? Seems like with Tony at the helm it has no trouble selling out.
Because a few down seasons and it would have trouble selling out. Fans are on baseball now cause it’s hot, and the thing to do, not because they love UT baseball no matter what. What State, LSU and very few others have built, is a culture on a foundation of familial generations. The spectacle and event that a football weekend is to most of the SEC is that for baseball at those few schools. Families come in from other parts of the state/out of state, they stay in town all weekend, they tailgate all weekend and have a giant family reunion in essence. I had a MS State co-worker who would travel from south GA almost every weekend back to Starkville for baseball and his sister’s family came in from Tupelo, parents and other family came in from their hometown in the Delta. You literally had folks from 75 to 18 years old and it’s all they had ever known. That doesn’t simply materialize with 4 good seasons.

So the program is in the red yet they’re doing a $100 million renovation? That doesn’t make sense

Surely the program will start generating revenue given the incredible success we’ve had since 2020

So the program is in the red yet they’re doing a $100 million renovation? That doesn’t make sense

Surely the program will start generating revenue given the incredible success we’ve had since 2020
Football pays for everything. Same as it ever was

They are raising ticket prices again for 25, but I'm not sure if it will be enough to overcome the almost $4million deficit

Donations — 1.5 milion
Media rights — $18,537
NCAA revenue — $85,675
Concessions — $497,680
Licensing — $772,070
Camps — $243,152

Expenses:

Vitello — 1.7 million
Assistants — $896,519
Support staff — $123,451
Recruiting — $150,465
Travel — 1.3 million
Equipment — $323,014
Game expenses — $397,181
Camp expenses — $243,152
Debt service — $365,460

Net loss — 3.7 million
That is really eye opening information. Thank you, sir!

That is really eye opening information. Thank you, sir!
I think by raising ticket prices and donations for season tickets, the aim by DW is to break even. As long as Heup and Co keep winning, we really dont have much to worry about, but these moves by DW make a lot of sense for the baseball program to be self-sufficient.

Make LNS a more attractive place to attend a game and raise prices across the board. As long as CTV is winning, it should pay off. It may never be a profitable program, but none of them not named football are...........maybe if CTV sticks around for his entire career and wins 1000+ games and a few titles.

Football pays for everything. Same as it ever was

They are raising ticket prices again for 25, but I'm not sure if it will be enough to overcome the almost $4million deficit
and men's basketball😁...I doubt we have another program in the black

Reactions: chuckiepoo
There has to be some secondary and accessory benefits from having a successful baseball team. Its hard for me to believe they are really 3.7 mil in the red. That is probably the tax number where businesses are eager to write anything down as an expense.

For example, the schollarship expenses of near 990k. Is that really an expense? Or is it a tax expense where Tennessee can write off the "oppoortunity cost" of giving a player free tuition over a paying student. Sure there is a real cost there, but likely exxagerated to the max for tax write-offs.

Plus, the marketing benefits. UT is able to market themselves as an "everything" school. The additional social media engagement of making it to Omaha year after year.

Donations — 1.5 milion
Media rights — $18,537
NCAA revenue — $85,675
Concessions — $497,680
Licensing — $772,070
Camps — $243,152

Expenses:

Vitello — 1.7 million
Assistants — $896,519
Support staff — $123,451
Recruiting — $150,465
Travel — 1.3 million
Equipment — $323,014
Game expenses — $397,181
Camp expenses — $243,152
Debt service — $365,460

Net loss — 3.7 million

Seems odd that revenue and expenses for camps are identical? I know that some of camp revenues go to supplement assistant coach pay, so perhaps that is already factored in.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Interested in making a positive impact on your favorite Tennessee Team? Make a sport specific gift!

Gifts made to a sport-specific excellence fund directly enhance the lives of the team’s student-athletes by funding team-specific needs and ultimately allowing our student-athletes to achieve their academic and athletic pursuits. These gifts are utilized at the discretion of each head coach.

To make a gift, please click on the desired teams box below.

You have to keep in mind that there is one athletic department budget that falls within the operations of the overall University. That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with funds used for facility upgrades. There are multiple entities that operate outside of the overall University operation. That is usually where the funds come from for things like facility upgrades. All departments that operate within the umbrella of the overall University have to zero out their accounts at the end of the fiscal year. They don't carry money over from year to year. That is why you sometimes see the athletic department make donations to other departments within the University, like the Library. Entities like the Tennessee Fund aren't really part of the University. They are basically an outside booster organization. At least that is the way it used to work when I was on the Athletic Board but that was almost 40 years ago.

Donations — 1.5 milion
Media rights — $18,537
NCAA revenue — $85,675
Concessions — $497,680
Licensing — $772,070
Camps — $243,152

Expenses:

Vitello — 1.7 million
Assistants — $896,519
Support staff — $123,451
Recruiting — $150,465
Travel — 1.3 million
Equipment — $323,014
Game expenses — $397,181
Camp expenses — $243,152
Debt service — $365,460

Net loss — 3.7 million
$18,537 for media rights is surprising to me. Our series with A&M averaged 2.8 million viewers. MCWS as a whole averaged 1.6 million. Super regionals averaged 680k. It wouldn’t be a surprise for that to be more of a factor in the financial picture if those numbers stay there or improve through whenever that gets renegotiated.

Reactions: NM4VOLS
$18,537 for media rights is surprising to me. Our series with A&M averaged 2.8 million viewers. MCWS as a whole averaged 1.6 million. Super regionals averaged 680k. It wouldn’t be a surprise for that to be more of a factor in the financial picture if those numbers stay there or improve through whenever that gets renegotiated.
That's quite good imo considering the NBA finals were going on for part of it and the NHL finals for basically the whole thing.

VN Store

Back