Basketball Recruits In Knoxville

orangewizard98

Desmond Yates of Somerville,TN is in Knoxville on an official visit. He was a member of the Top 150 prospects by Rivals.com but had huge grade concerns and did not recieve a ton of attention due to that, thus dropping in the rankings. It now appears that he may actually qualify so Tennessee and Pearl are giving him a look.

Anthony Passley, a 6'5 guard/small forward is also in town right now. He was actually a member of the 2004 class and signed with Bruce Pearl at UWM. He earned AllConference honors 3 years at Idianapolis North Central High School and was First Team All-State in Indiana as a senior, averaging 18.4 points and 8.4 rebounds. Not sure of the circumstances, but he never did enroll in school. Not sure if he didn't qualify or what, but he is now looking at Tennessee.

It really amazes me that Pearl has been able to get this much quality interest this late in the game.

Thanks for the info orangewizard98.

Doesn't surprise me at all. This is the best hire for UT basketball program since one Ray Mears was hired

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@May 4, 2005 5:10 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all. This is the best hire for UT basketball program since one Ray Mears was hired

I agree.

I believe players are getting excited about playing for him after seeing his results at Milwaukee.

Originally posted by biganbad@May 5, 2005 12:06 AM
How big is Yates

He is 6'7...not sure about his weight.

My source said 6'7 freak.... :p

Yates is apparently planning to sign a LOI with UT at his athletic banquet Friday night. Does this mean there is some waffling going on with Mo Thomas? CBP had said originally that he would only sign 1 this spring. If he signs 2, he'll have to let Tyler Smith out of his LOI. That would surprise me. Since CBP has already said that JuJuan Smith will work well in his system, it seems strange that he wouldn't renew his one year deal that was awarded by Buzz.

One thing is for sure, we haven't had a coach work this hard in a long time. Will be interesting to see the results on Yates, Thomas, Smith and Smith this weekend.

This was taken from Rivals (the free part). It is really cool to have our name on the front page of the BASKETBALL recruiting page! Man, I hope it's not bad to have such high hopes...
----------
"Now there are two forwards from the 2005 class that want to play for Tennessee next year. Just after a commitment from Maurice Thomas, now combo forward Desmond Yates from Fayette-Ware High School in Somerville, Tenn., will sign a Letter of Intent with the Volunteers Friday night at his high school’s basketball banquet according to his high school coach Larry Ransom."

UTK has 2 scholarships available, so signing Yates would not require letting Tyler Smith out of his letter of intent or non-renewal of a scholarship. They have two scholarships available to offer to Maurice Thomas and Desmond Yates.

There is talk of another guy that might sign. Now if they do offer another player besides those two then I guess something is going to happen involving one of the scholarships that aren't available.

Well, I just saw that Childress signed with UTK. That means that Childress and Thomas have both committed and Yates is suppose to at his banquet. So, I am not sure what they have planned to do about making a 3rd scholarship available. Shoot I'm just glad we are getting some quality players on board. I think next years recruiting class (once he has a full year to recruit) will be amazing. The guy is passionate about the game of basketball and these recruits and tell.

VN Store

Back