Basketball update

Panthers4Ever

Jerry Smith won't be going to UT. While they are still a possibility its a very slim possibility. Pearl knows Smith's dad which is the only reason he's considering your school. From what has been reported in Milwaukee, it seems Jerry is only really considering TN out of respect for his dad and not much else. Smith's top 3 are Wake Forest, WI, and Louisville but probably will come down to WF/WI. Smith was supposed visit UT I believe this past weekend but canceled so he can focus on school. WI will fall out of the running if they sign another guard, Trevon Hughes, as he and Smith are competing for the Badgers final scholarship and WI is either the leader or tied for the leader for both of their services. I don't know if you should be excited about Childress too much either. I've heard from several people who met him that he's pretty arrogant and just not a great overall attitude. Considering he was only really being recruited by mid-majors do you think he'll achieve in the SEC? I think he went to TN b/c of his relationship w/ Pearl. Moreso that Pearl will give him whatever he wants because of who he is.

I'm curious as to your reactions from Pearl thus far. Granted its been maybe 2.5 months only but w/ the Tyler Smith fiasco, the Maurice Thomas/Ryan Childress thing and then apparently talking trash in a Memphis newspaper about how UT is the only real bball team in the state (or something like that).

So far this guy has done a good job with only one exception. His press conference today regarding Matt Dotson bothers me. We offered Dotson, signed Dotson and should stand by that offer regardless of who originally signed him. That, I disagree with.

As to Tyler Smith, I am behind Pearl 100%. I have no problem with the way the Maurice Thomas recruitment came down.

As to Childress, Pearl is the best judge of the type player that fits into his system. So no problem there.

Talking trash? Haven't heard that. I can see where CBP2 would get on the nerves of those that aren't UT fans.

So, after what we've been through the past decade or so, CBP2 is doing OK by me, but the Dotson situation does bother me.

BTW, which "Panthers" are you a fan of?

I would guess Wisc. Green Bay.

Which is why his tone is the way it is.

I LOVE the fact we have Pearl now. If you still want to root for him, we have room on the wagon, jump on.

Wisc-Green Bay are the Phoenix so I'm definitely not a fan of them. They follow the Packers gameplay farely well, do well in the regular season and choke after that but still think they're the best. I'm from Pearl's old stomping grounds of Wisc.-Milwaukee. I'm not really jumping on the bandwagon since I was on it here but moreso staying the course somewhere else. There's a decent number of us watching his moves from up here. He's a smart coach w/ an exciting style that's fun to watch. It was interesting to hear him say that taking the UT job was selfish but he had to do what he had to do.

One last thing - If you hear some idiot talk about his past involvement with Illinois when he was still at Iowa, please punch them b/c its a dead topic that they refuse to let go. Pathetic really.

VN Store

Back