Ben Joyce won't pitch off a mound for three weeks+

VOL Outlaw

Sounds like a total of 2-3 months missed. Not terrible considering some of the fears and speculation when he was injured.

Joyce (elbow) will continue his rehab in Arizona but isn't expected to be able to pitch off a mound for at least three weeks, Sam Blum of The Athletic reports.

Joyce recently resumed throwing on flat ground after going on the injured list June 10 due to right ulnar neuritis. Though the rookie reliever appears to be making progress, he won't be rushed in his rehab and isn't slated to see mound work until the final week of July at the earliest. With that timeframe in mind, Joyce is unlikely to be ready to return to the big-league staff until sometime in August or September.

Angels' Ben Joyce: Won't throw off mound for 3-4 weeks

Best wishes to Ben for sure.
Some guys can throw easy gas, others seem to throw their entire body.

We've had this discussion around my home, Joyce is one of those guys who looks like he's throwing his arm off of his body every pitch...I suspect he'll have these issues in the bigs.

Best wishes to Ben for sure.
Some guys can throw easy gas, others seem to throw their entire body.

We've had this discussion around my home, Joyce is one of those guys who looks like he's throwing his arm off of his body every pitch...I suspect he'll have these issues in the bigs.
Yep. More often than not, flame throwers flame out. He's got plenty of velocity so he can obviously dial it back a bit, but more importantly, he needs to learn how to pitch. Develop something more than a 100+mph fastball and change up. Learn how to scout hitters and set up pitches instead of trying to roll over folks with speed, speed, and more speed. Ground outs aren't a bad thing. Nothing says he has to try and strike every batter out. If you can get the job done with one pitch vs 3-4, that's preferred. Not as sexy as a K, but it saves on wear and tear. Hope he gets healthy, but unless he becomes a smart arm with 3-4 pitches, he's destined to be a shooting star.

Yep. More often than not, flame throwers flame out. He's got plenty of velocity so he can obviously dial it back a bit, but more importantly, he needs to learn how to pitch. Develop something more than a 100+mph fastball and change up. Learn how to scout hitters and set up pitches instead of trying to roll over folks with speed, speed, and more speed. Ground outs aren't a bad thing. Nothing says he has to try and strike every batter out. If you can get the job done with one pitch vs 3-4, that's preferred. Not as sexy as a K, but it saves on wear and tear. Hope he gets healthy, but unless he becomes a smart arm with 3-4 pitches, he's destined to be a shooting star.
Basically....get some game time and innings pitched under his belt at the MLB level and I agree. I'm sure that has been the plan all along. Yeah...there's a lot of pitchers throwing triple digits...but still must learn HOW TO PITCH...I'm with you hoping he puts it all together. Read this about one of the best all time pitchers recently.... Bob Gibson once plunked Pete LaCock in an Old Timers' Game at Wrigley field because he had the gall to hit a grand slam off Gibson ten years earlier in the last inning of Gibson's career in the major leagues. After he hit LaCock, Gibson shouted, “I've been waiting 10 years to do that.” :D:D

Reactions: txbo and chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back