Ben Martin

vavol87

Bill Kurelic
BuckeyeGrove.com
BEN-MARTIN100.JPG

Cincinnati (Ohio) LaSalle defensive end Ben Martin is back from his official visit to Tennessee.
Martin talks about the trip when he will select a college, and who is still in the running.

Nothing much here. Martin just said he enjoyed his visit to Tennessee. He said everything was real nice, and that'd it was just another nice place to be. He's done with all of his visits. He's going to talk things over with his mom, and make his decision sometime in January. His mom did want him to stay close to home, but now she doesn't care. It's all up to Martin.

I think he'll end up at Ohio State. But Rivals says that Ohio State, Tennessee, Florida, and Notre Dame are even for Martin at this point. He'll choose between the four.

There's a new article about Ben Martin on VolQuest.com right now. It speaks a little more favorably of the Vols than the one on Ohio State's Rivals.com. Martin says he is very comfortable with Tennessee since he's been there three or four times. This indicates how serious he is about the Vols. Turk McBride was his host, and he loved hangin' with him. He said Tennessee is definitely "right in there" with the other schools (OSU, UF, and ND).

I honestly think he will choose between OSU and UT. I think we should be reasonably optimistic about him.

It seems this guy has been flying under the radar around here (atleast from what I've observed). Our class is starting to look like it's goin' to fill out better than the '05 class. I could just be exaggeratinga little, though.

If we can go into Ohio and steal this kid from OSU it will be a major coup for Fulmer. I have to say that CPF has really come through so far, just a couple more to go.

Anything new on Martin? He and Sykes appear to be our last hope at signing another big time DE.
It appears that we have a 1 in 3 (at best) chance with Sykes, but I honestly like our chances with Martin. As stated above, I think it comes down to us and OSU. If you look at his statements on rivals, it seems that where he feels most comfortable is what is most important to him when it comes to picking a school. To that end, I like the things he has said about the Vols.
He also makes clear that distance from home will play no part in his decision. He knows that his parents would like him to be close, but he emphatically states that he will do what is right for him.
Keeping my fingers crossed.......

Most likely. I'm really liking our chances with Martin. I know, he is from Ohio and OSU is the team to beat. But, according to his last interview, distance isn't a factor with him or his mom. He said that he is very comfortable at UT and with the UT coaches and he said that will be the deciding factor. He has also started friendships with Campbell and Walker and text both at least once a day. He wanted to hang out with Donald on his official but couldn't because Donald had to postpone his visit due to a death in the family.

As for Dunlap, it is a tossup, but I'm pretty confident that he is a Cock. Great pickup for them if it happens.

I think we forget that he is not even from Ohio. He lives in Ohio with his brother. He was born and raised in Indiana, or Illinois, one of those two. That is where his mom lives. He is not an Ohio State fan so we are not having to work against that type of situation. I think it comes down to UT/OSU and I think we have a slight edge right now. I think he just felt more comfortable here. Plus, we offer more immediate playing time. OSU has already taken some big DL recruits.

I forgot that he wasn't from Ohio. Everything I hear about him seems to point in our way. Kind of like the Eric Berry recruitment, except no obvious family connections.

Actually, after looking at their recruiting database. They really don't have many options left. They have one DE committed and no DTs committed. This is their remaining board(not counting players that are committed elsewhere):

Ben Martin 4* DE(Down to UT, OSU, ND, and UF)
Devon Still 4* DE(Favoring PSU and OSU)
Eric Thomas 3* DE(Open by Rivals database)
Jafe Pitcock 2* DE(Favoring OSU)
Joseph Barksdale 4* DT(OSU lock)
Josh Brent 4* DT(Favoring Ill and Wiscy)
Cameron Heyward 4* DT(Down to UF, UGA, LSU and OSU)

Their DL board is extremely thin, but, like I said, they return 7 DEs(no idea on the quality). They also return 6 DTs(lose 3).

VN Store

Back