Best Team To Ever Produce Nfl Rb

vols2345

Volnation's resident sunshine pumper
who do you think is the best team to ever produce nfl running backs. I say we will have to be up there, but are we number 1? auburn has to be real high, but who else?

USC and Texas beat us

USC - O.J. Simpson, Marcus Allen, Charles White, Anothony Davis, Ricky Bell, Reggie Bush

Texas - Williams, Benson, Earl Campbell, Leaks, and Mitchell

Oklahoma and Ohio State would also beat us, imo

USC is probably the best rushing school in modern football. Army produced even more good runningbakcs way back when. Texas is good also. Other than a few schools (USC and Texas), most universities have only produced one or two quality running backs. Tennessee is no different.

U-T's got it pretty much on target.

Remember that until the 80's, UT never even had a 1000 yard rusher. Johnnie Jones (the first to do it) was not a successful pro.

We've made up some ground with Little man, Jamal and T. Henry making an impact but we are definitely not Running Back U.

Originally posted by U-T@Apr 20, 2005 6:11 PM
USC and Texas beat us

USC - O.J. Simpson, Marcus Allen, Charles White, Anothony Davis, Ricky Bell, Reggie Bush

Texas - Williams, Benson, Earl Campbell, Leaks, and Mitchell

Oklahoma and Ohio State would also beat us, imo

As much as I hate to admit it, I'd also put Georgia up there pretty high - Hershel Walker, Tim Worley, Rodney Hampton, Garrison Hearst, Robert Edwards, Terrell Davis.

I can think of about 15 schools I'd rank ahead of us though. Volinbham is right. We're not exactly known for turning out feature rb's.

Yeah, sorry to say it guys, but Tennessee has not been exceptionally prolific with running backs. We have put out a couple of gems, but so have many other schools.

Depends. From the looks of things, Henry did better at Tennessee but Lewis did better once he hit the pros.

The Henry/Lewis comparison is going to be a little skewed since Jamal blew out a knee his sophmore year and really didn't totally regain form until 2 years later when he was a rookie year in Baltimore.

I just looked at the top 50 rushers in the NFL last year.

UT (vols) produced 1 (Lewis)

A team that I haven't seen mentioned is doing well -- the dreaded "U" -- Miami. They have 3 in the top 14 (Edgerrin James, Clinton Portis and Willis McGahee). For reference, Lewis comes in at about 18 (due to fewer games resulting from some "ahem" off the field difficulties).

Henry's not on the list (injuries if I remember correctly).

I realize this is just one year but the Vols just haven't been the source of RB's for the NFL.

Receivers and O-linemen, that's a different story.

Originally posted by volinbham@Apr 20, 2005 8:03 PM
A team that I haven't seen mentioned is doing well -- the dreaded "U" -- Miami. They have 3 in the top 14 (Edgerrin James, Clinton Portis and Willis McGahee). For reference, Lewis comes in at about 18 (due to fewer games resulting from some "ahem" off the field difficulties).

That's because all praise directed at Miami is penalized with being subject to possible banishment. ;)

jk :p

VN Store

Back