Big Orange History

govols105

I am very honored and humbled to have received this piece today, it's one i have wanted to find for a long time.

This man is the man who designed Shields-Watkins field and hired general Robert Neyland to be the head coach of Tennessee football. he was also a great player and knew something about engineering.

perhaps one of the rarest tennessee autographs out there. yes i know most of you won't like the frame job i did it myself. But it does the job and the card holder is acid and pvc free.

i can post a few more i got today but my collection will might bore you folks it goes from 1906 all the way til now 2013. And includes 19 of the 22 Tennessee Vols in the college football hall of fame.

Go Vols!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Crazy that a guy who looks to be about 170lbs was "Big'n" back in those days...

Also what is that around his neck? A type of facemask?

Reactions: 1 person
it was called a nose guard to keep them from getting their nose busted when going up against a defensive lineman.

The nose guard in use.
noseguard2.jpg

Just so you know Neyland was brought in specifically to beat Vandy!

Dougherty brought in Neyland to "even the score with Vanderbilt." When Neyland retired, the Tennessee-Vandy series was dead even. Mission accomplished! Complete control of the series since!

Go Vols!

I am very honored and humbled to have received this piece today, it's one i have wanted to find for a long time.

This man is the man who designed Shields-Watkins field and hired general Robert Neyland to be the head coach of Tennessee football. he was also a great player and knew something about engineering.

perhaps one of the rarest tennessee autographs out there. yes i know most of you won't like the frame job i did it myself. But it does the job and the card holder is acid and pvc free.

i can post a few more i got today but my collection will might bore you folks it goes from 1906 all the way til now 2013. And includes 19 of the 22 Tennessee Vols in the college football hall of fame.

Go Vols!!!

Fantastic piece man!...I am seriously jealous!

here's another one... this guy would get off the ground smiling if you were lucky enough to tackle him...

got alot more if folks are interested, like i said this history of Tennessee football in autographs from 1906-2013.

VN Store

Back