Big Scrimmage tomorrow

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Tennessee will have it's first major scrimmage of the Spring tomorrow.

This is a blurb from UT Sports:
Receiving the most scrutiny, as it has in the first five of the squad’s 15 spring workouts, will be the Vols’ quarterback competition. Senior C.J. Leak and junior Rick Clausen will handle most of the snaps Saturday. Another top candidate, junior James Banks, will focus on his position at wide receiver in the scrimmage before spending more time at quarterback in next week’s drills.

Here is the injury list for the scrimmge:

Injured list: Among those players who won't scrimmage today are receiver Robert Meachem (hamstring), receiver Bret Smith (toe), tailback Corey Larkins (ankle), offensive guard Arron Sears (foot), defensive tackle LaRon Harris (knee) and defensive tackle Matt McGlothin (foot). Linebacker Kevin Burnett missed practice yesterday because of dehydration, but will scrimmage today. Receiver Chris Hannon (ankle) was also back at practice and will scrimmage.

Well it looks like the defense got the better of the offense today. The backs were pretty unproductive running the ball. Could be the o-line continuing to struggle. As far as the QB's go it doesn't look as if either really did anything to set themself apart. Both had similar stats and Clausen had one interception.

In other disturbing news James Banks has been temporarily suspended for a violation of team rules and did not dress for the scrimmage today.

Normally the D is ahead of the O at this point...nothing to worry about. Also, UT should have a great unit of the D side of the ball...especially stopping the run, so that doesn't surprise me!

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Mar 27, 2004 11:19 PM
What did James Banks DO?? PLEASE not another drug/alcohol violation!!

Saw on another board where it may be classroom related!

Originally posted by NCGatorBait@Mar 27, 2004 10:17 PM
Normally the D is ahead of the O at this point...nothing to worry about. Also, UT should have a great unit of the D side of the ball...especially stopping the run, so that doesn't surprise me!

After the last couple of seasons I am just very concerned about our o-line. If we can't open up some holes for the run we are in BIG trouble this year.

What happened to your sig?

Originally posted by vol_freak+Mar 27, 2004 11:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vol_freak @ Mar 27, 2004 11:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NCGatorBait@Mar 27, 2004 10:17 PM
Normally the D is ahead of the O at this point...nothing to worry about. Also, UT should have a great unit of the D side of the ball...especially stopping the run, so that doesn&#39;t surprise me&#33;

After the last couple of seasons I am just very concerned about our o-line. If we can&#39;t open up some holes for the run we are in BIG trouble this year.

What happened to your sig? [/quote]
VF with a new QB this year...you are so right. Meachum and Banks should open up the running game some though&#33;

I was having trouble with my sig...saying it was from another board?? A couple pics were uploaded on another board and it wouldn&#39;t show them so I just got rid of it&#33;

Banks is going to have to get his head in the game though. I have been concerned about him having a bad attitude about not getting to play QB. I don&#39;t know if it had anything to do with it or not but he was not scheduled to get any reps today at QB. I hope that he can come to the realization that he is a WR and could be a great one if he works at it and has a positive attitude. As for Meachum, everyone says he is the real deal but he has never played in a college game and it won&#39;t help having a first year starter trying to get him the ball. Our offense could be very boring this year.

I think Meachum and Swain will get alot of reps this year, even with their youth. Banks is supposed to get some reps in the next scrimmage I believe&#33;

Originally posted by LadyinOrange+Mar 28, 2004 12:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LadyinOrange @ Mar 28, 2004 12:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vol_freak@Mar 28, 2004 3:56 AM
Our offense could be very boring this year.

I thought our offense was very boring LAST year. [/quote]
Boring....but effective&#33; :peace2:

This year we may be wishing we had last year&#39;s offense. :yikes:

:D

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Mar 28, 2004 12:50 AM
I will NEVER wish we had last year&#39;s offensive coordinator, though.

:rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:

I think we will end up with a solid year. :thumbsup:

I was going over some of the info from the scrimmage on Saturday and I noticed that Wilhoit was only 1-5 in his FG attempts. With this offense those FG&#39;s are going to be relly important. I also noticed that newcomer Antonio Reyonlds had three tackles that resulted in lost yardage.

VN Store

Back