Big XII or SEC?

jakez4ut

Patience... It's what's for dinner
which is better, the Big XII or the SEC?

Interesting debate this year, and 1/2 way thru the season, i'm going to give the nod ot the Big 12.

what they have this year is what the SEC has most every year......quality depth.

between TX, OK, OK St, Mizzou, KS, TT.......they're a pretty deep league this year.

throw in that they have 3 bonafied Heisman qb candidates in Daniel, McCoy and Bradford, and a bevy of offensive play makers, it's going to be hard to argue against them.

i think this year, the SEC is still #2, but as good as the defenses have been, the offenses are down right enemic. Auburn and TN have two good defenses but can't score jack, and are just plain bad. Florida's defense is improving, but isn't what i'd call dominant. LSU's strong on defense as usual, but proved Saturday night they're not ready for prime time. Georgia has issues, and isn't dominant on either side of the ball. Alabama is the best all around team i've seen in the SEC, and they've been teh most consistent. Vandy adds depth, but goes and loses to MSU, which at this point is a team they should probably beat.

anyway, i like to think i call these kinds of things like i see 'em, and what i can say with some confidence is that it's very unlikely you will see two SEC teams hook up in a game like the one you saw in Dallas on Saturday. That was a game that featured two very good teams. I think the only opporutnity that presents itself for hte SEC is if FLorida and Alabama hook up in the title game in December.

til then, the Big 12, imo, is top dog this season.

Last edited:
can someone change my thread title? apparenlty i forgot what the difference between 9 and 12 is in roman numerals.:crazy:

I am going to have to disagree with you on the subjects of Mizzou, KU, and, probably, Texas Tech.

First, Mizzou has not beaten anyone of significance. The Illini are 3-3 this season, losing at home to Minnesota this past weekend. Chase Daniel just threw 3 interceptions in the loss to OSU, thus removing his name from any mention of Heisman. Next week, Mizzou loses to Texas.

KU. As much as it hurts me to say this, KU is about to go on a 6 game trek, where it is conceivable that they lose 4 of those games. I think they can get by with losing 2 of them, however, they definitely are not a dominant team this year. They are a December Bowl team.

Texas Tech. Eastern Washington, Nevada, SMU, UMass, K-State, and Nebraska. These are the opponents that Tech has played thus far...and they barely got by Nebraska. It is quite possible that Tech gets their last win of the season next week at aTm. Yes, Baylor could give Tech fits.

The Big XII is, presently, the beneficiary of scheduling that front loads ridiculously easy opponents. The second half of the season is going to be very telling for the Big XII.

I am going to have to disagree with you on the subjects of Mizzou, KU, and, probably, Texas Tech.

First, Mizzou has not beaten anyone of significance. The Illini are 3-3 this season, losing at home to Minnesota this past weekend. Chase Daniel just threw 3 interceptions in the loss to OSU, thus removing his name from any mention of Heisman. Next week, Mizzou loses to Texas.

KU. As much as it hurts me to say this, KU is about to go on a 6 game trek, where it is conceivable that they lose 4 of those games. I think they can get by with losing 2 of them, however, they definitely are not a dominant team this year. They are a December Bowl team.

Texas Tech. Eastern Washington, Nevada, SMU, UMass, K-State, and Nebraska. These are the opponents that Tech has played thus far...and they barely got by Nebraska. It is quite possible that Tech gets their last win of the season next week at aTm. Yes, Baylor could give Tech fits.

The Big XII is, presently, the beneficiary of scheduling that front loads ridiculously easy opponents. The second half of the season is going to be very telling for the Big XII.
good points. KS schedule does get raised up a notch or two in the coming weeks, and i can't disagree with the front loaded schedule for most of the big 12 teams.

but when you watch these teams play, the OU/TX, COL/KS, and OSU/Mizzou, the level at which these teams are playing.......i mean the games are all competitive. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Mizzou beat TX next week. The only thing that would surprise me at this point is if OK loses again.

in the end, i do agree, as the thick of hte conf. season gets going, we'll find out a lot more. but thus far, i've been impressed.

The Big XII is littered with the worst defenses and best offenses in the nation. The SEC is the exact opposite. I would like to see a top to bottom matchup of the two conferences.

good points. KS schedule does get raised up a notch or two in the coming weeks, and i can't disagree with the front loaded schedule for most of the big 12 teams.

but when you watch these teams play, the OU/TX, COL/KS, and OSU/Mizzou, the level at which these teams are playing.......i mean the games are all competitive. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Mizzou beat TX next week. The only thing that would surprise me at this point is if OK loses again.

in the end, i do agree, as the thick of hte conf. season gets going, we'll find out a lot more. but thus far, i've been impressed.
the conference will remain topsy turvy. Even great offenses sputter at times (see Mizzou agains OK St and its awful defense) and that's when great defenses help them win. None of those guys in the Big 12 have any defense.

It shocks me that Stoops has essentially lost his calling card and OU has become an offensive beast.

the conference will remain topsy turvy. Even great offenses sputter at times (see Mizzou agains OK St and its awful defense) and that's when great defenses help them win. None of those guys in the Big 12 have any defense.

It shocks me that Stoops has essentially lost his calling card and OU has become an offensive beast.
this is going to look as dumb as you think it does, but i really don't think OU's or TX's defense was THAT bad. you watch the speed of the D Line and LB's, the CB's did make some plays, both defenses got pressure on the qb......

but those two offenses just made a lot more plays....

put it this way, i think either of those offenses could beat the best two defenses in the SEC, which was what, Auburn and LSU? Hell i think our defense, statistcally, is up there too.

this is going to look as dumb as you think it does, but i really don't think OU's or TX's defense was THAT bad. you watch the speed of the D Line and LB's, the CB's did make some plays, both defenses got pressure on the qb......

put it this way, i think either of those offenses could beat the best two defenses in the SEC, which was what, Auburn and LSU? Hell i think our defense, statistcally, is up there too.

I will have to wait until the season plays out. As much as I hate to say nice things about bama. I think they might be able to win over texas. Of course I might be wrong I still pick UTK to win every week.

when the season is over, it may be proven that the SEC is still top dog.....GA, LSU, FL, BAma etc...all stil have legit chances to have big years.

i'm just saying thru the mid point, based on what i've seen, i've been more impressed with the competitiveness, at a high level, inside the Big 12 than i have with the SEC. there's just some really bad offenses.....yes, some of the defense has a part in that, but it ain't the only reason.......Auburn, MSU, TN, Vandy and up until last week even FL, SC, KY have all been mediocre to really bad offensively. and they all haven't played these super stud Defensive teams.....

anyway.....it can change...

I honestly think UF treats both of those defenses worse than they were treated, even with Tebow playing like dog.

that might wind up being true, but again, you're still talking about a top flight offense with speed everywhere......it's not exactly a sin if you get beat every now and then by them.

the key is, would it be enough to win a game between the two? i think OK and TX both have enough defense to win any game they play. they definitely have enough offense to go in to a shootout with a comparable offensive team.

that doesn't mean i think they will win any game they play, but you get the idea.

I still say the SEC is better. I believe OU and Texas are clearly the best teams in the Big 12, and think most of those other names mentioned are overrated. I think Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and LSU make a much stronger top 4 than the Big 12 has.

Seriously??? Just look at how the top 6 from each conference would matchup.

Bama > Texas
Florida > OU
LSU > Tech
Georgia > Missouri
Vandy < KU
SC < Baylor
I think SC would handle Baylor reasonably well. The rest of those advantages would be by very slim margins at best and a couple are legit tossups.

I think SC would handle Baylor reasonably well. The rest of those advantages would be by very slim margins at best and a couple are legit tossups.
I would say that Texas and OU would definitely make it close. However, I think the offensive firepower that both Florida and Bama bring to the table, coupled with pretty solid defenses, would make the difference.

Seriously??? Just look at how the top 6 from each conference would matchup.

Bama > Texas
Florida > OU
LSU > Tech
Georgia > Missouri
Vandy < KU
SC < Baylor
how about Ok. State????

and just like the Big 12 has games left, when discussing VAndy, they still have FL, GA, TN left, just like KU still has OU, TX and Mizzou left......

this will get worked out over time, but you can't put Baylor up there, has to be OK State.

and i agree with BPV......all those matchups are closer than indicated......if i had to pick winners:
Bama, OU, LSU, Mizzou, KU and OK State over SC. that's big 12 4, SEC 2. and GA/Mizzou is the touhgest one to pick i think.

how about Ok. State????

and just like the Big 12 has games left, when discussing VAndy, they still have FL, GA, TN left, just like KU still has OU, TX and Mizzou left......

this will get worked out over time, but you can't put Baylor up there, has to be OK State.

and i agree with BPV......all those matchups are closer than indicated......if i had to pick winners:
Bama, OU, LSU, Mizzou, KU and OK State over SC. that's big 12 4, SEC 2. and GA/Mizzou is the touhgest one to pick i think.
Georgia would throttle Mizzou, for my money. Mizzou has a couple of decent defenders (who are overrated by virtue of playing for Mizzou this particular season), but as a whole, their defense is a disaster. Their O is good, but not the behemoth it has appeared to be agains their wretched schedule.

Georgia would throttle Mizzou, for my money. Mizzou has a couple of decent defenders (who are overrated by virtue of playing for Mizzou this particular season), but as a whole, their defense is a disaster. Their O is good, but not the behemoth it has appeared to be agains their wretched schedule.
i wouldn't go that far....it's not like GA has just been on fire of late. they have their own issues as well, which is why i think that would be an intriguing match up. I would expect GA to be able to score some points, but the same could be said of Mizzou.

both teams are capable of more than they have accomplished thus far.

VN Store

Back