Bios On Possible New Basketball Coachs

allvol

Eternally Optimistic
One of the coaches Champ Sports has contacted is Texas Tech's Bobby Knight, who indicated that he would be interested in talking with Tennessee. Knight, a Hall of Famer, is in his fourth season at Texas Tech after a legendary run at Indiana.

Others the Vols may have interest in are....... (excerpts from various reports)

Auburn's Jeff Lebo, "As for Jeff Lebo, well, he's a fine basketball coach and the guy I wanted to hire out of UT's final three candidates four years ago. However, since that time Lebo has moved from Tennessee Tech to UT Chattanooga to Auburn. In other words, Lebo has been on the same express bus to major conference basketball that Buzz Peterson rode from Appalachian State to Tulsa to Tennessee. Once again, I think Lebo is an very good coach but I have great concern that he has never been at one school long enough to establish and sustain his own program. Auburn finished the season on a strong note, upsetting Vanderbilt in the SEC Tournament before bowing to LSU in the 2nd round. 2004-05 final record: 14-17 (same as Tennessee.)"

UAB's Mike Anderson, "Mike Anderson first made a name in the basketball business as a longtime assistant to Nolan Richardson at Arkansas by displaying excellent recruiting prowless and delivering key players that were the nucleus of success the Hogs enjoyed in the 1990's. Of course, Anderson also did a fine job at UAB last season as he led the Blazers to defeat of Kentucky in the second round and a Sweet Sixteen appearance. Although Anderson's UAB club enters the Big Dance as a No. 11 seed I find it interesting that his Blazer club failed to defeat a team that made the NCAA tournament during the regular season or conference tournament. By comparison, Tennessee defeated four teams that made the tournament: Stanford, Florida, Mississippi St., and LSU."

Miami's Frank Haith, "Frank Haith worked for 15 years as a little-known assistant at Wake Forest and Texas where, most recently, he served as associate head coach under Rick Barnes. For a greater part of that period, Miami was a lightly-regarded Big East program better known for its football prowess. Last season, under Perry Clark, they finished 14-16 -- a ho-hum record for what had become a ho-hum program. This season, the 'Canes finished 16-13 after a first round loss to South Carolina in the NIT."

Charlotte's Bobby Lutz, "Bobby Lutz continues to make a profound impact on the Charlotte 49ers basketball program. In seven years as head coach, the 49ers have been to six post-season tournaments, five NCAA Tournaments and posted four 20-win seasons. Charlotte has won three conference championships including two tourney titles and one regular-season crown. Charlotte is a No. 7 seed in this year's tournament."

Minnesota's Dan Monson, "In Monson's five seasons, the Golden Gophers have climbed their way back to the upper echelon of the Big Ten and advanced to the postseason in each of the last four seasons. This season, they are a No. 8 seed in the NCAA tournament. The previous three seasons, the Gophers were in the NIT. Before arriving in Gold Country, Monson led the Gonzaga Bulldogs within a breath of the Final Four in 1998-99. Along the way, his team defeated such notable NCAA powers as Stanford (82-74), Florida (73-72) and Minnesota (75-63), before bowing out to eventual national champion Connecticut, 67-62."

Marquette's Tom Crean, "Crean has coached the Eagles to two NCAA Tournament appearances including a "Final Four" (2003) and three NIT trips in his six seasons at Marquette. The Eagles won the regular season conference crown in 2002-03. This season, the Eagles finished 19-12 after losing to Western Michigan in the NIT."

George Washington's Karl Hobbs, "Currently Karl is in his fourth season as Head Coach at GW University, where he went after he left his assistant coaching position at UConn. After posting losing records in his first two seasons at GW, the program has taken off. Last season, GW finished 18-12 after losing to Virginia in the first round of the NIT. This season, GW is a No. 12 seed in the NCAA tournament after winning the A10 conference tournament title."

Winthrop's Gregg Marshall, "Gregg Marshall's first six years as a college head coach have been one of great team success and personal recognition. Winthrop has won the Big South Conference championship in each of his six seasons, which includes winning the conference tournament title five times. He led the Winthrop Eagles to the NCAA's "Big Dance" in each of his first four years and most recently this season. Winthrop is a No. 14 seed in this year's NCAA tournament. Twice he has been voted the Big South Coach of the Year in 1999 and 2003. Under Marshall's leadership, Winthrop has had four 20-win seasons."

Creighton's Dana Altman, "The dean of Missouri Valley coaches, Dana Altman is in his 11th season with Creighton. A two-time MVC Coach of the Year (2001 and 2002), Altman has led Creighton to eight straight postseason berths, including six NCAA Tournaments. This season, Creighton is a No. 10 seed in the NCAA tournament. Altman arrived at Creighton after compiling a 68-54 record in four seasons (1990-94) at Kansas State University. During that time, Altman led the Wildcats to three straight postseason tourneys and was named the Big Eight Conference Coach of the Year after leading KSU to a 19-11 record and an appearance at the NCAA Tournament in 1993."

Nice work as usual.

A mild defense of UAB if I may. The Blazers are down 3 key players from last year (Mo Finley - hit the winner against UK, Sidney Ball and Gabe ?). MA's recruits are freshmen/sophs this year and are contributing but not enough to make up for the major scoring that left from the previous year.

UAB played Louisville to the wire both times the teams played and in both cases was missing a key player (Ronnell Taylor - the CUSA sixth man of the year). In the first Louisville game he went out during the decisive last minutes of the game along with Broom another key scorer. They were also missing when they took Cincy to the wire. The regular season games against Louisville and Cincy came down to final possessions.

I would imagine that if Anderson had the talent level that UT had, they would have easily been ranked and a much higher seed in the tourny.

Just to pass along some of the challenges to be overcome at UAB. The facilities are pathetic. The team has to fly commercial - charters are out of the question with the athletic budget. The resources Anderson has to work with are nothing near that of UT and are among the worst even in CUSA (especially compared to Cincy, Louisville, DePaul, Marquette, and Charlotte).

My point is that given what he has had to work with, Anderson has been quite successful.

IS ANY BODY ELSE UPSET OVER THE FACT THAT KNIGHTS NAME HAS COME UP???
IF MY SON WANTED TO PLAY AT TENNESSEE AND KNIGHT WAS THERE I WOULD TELL HIM THERE'S NO WAY.... I WOULD RATHER SEE HIM GO TO BAMA FIRST!!! :eek:

"IS ANY BODY ELSE UPSET OVER THE FACT THAT KNIGHTS NAME HAS COME UP???
IF MY SON WANTED TO PLAY AT TENNESSEE AND KNIGHT WAS THERE I WOULD TELL HIM THERE'S NO WAY.... I WOULD RATHER SEE HIM GO TO BAMA FIRST!!!"

Thats your opinion. Personally he would be one of the only coaches I would let my child go be coached by. I would want him to win. Well now that even espn is reporting about us contacting him, I say our chances keep increasing to get him. Hey I might even drive to Tennessee to watch a men's basketball game next year.

I agree. BK is the type of coach I would love to play for. He has a knack for getting every ounce out of his players. It's called TEAM basketball and Team discipline. The stuff you need to be successful in a team sport. I can assure you that you won't see any of his players trotting up and down the floor and acting like they could careless about playing. I say if BK has made some changes with his on-the-court demeanor then let's get him. He's a proven winner.

Originally posted by secfanclub@Mar 16, 2005 6:05 PM
I agree. BK is the type of coach I would love to play for. He has a knack for getting every ounce out of his players. It's called TEAM basketball and Team discipline. The stuff you need to be successful in a team sport. I can assure you that you won't see any of his players trotting up and down the floor and acting like they could careless about playing. I say if BK has made some changes with his on-the-court demeanor then let's get him. He's a proven winner.

I'm more concerned with his off-court demeanor. I don't have a major problem with him throwing a chair. I do have a problem with the way he has apparently treated some his players in the past.

Originally posted by toddbond007@Mar 16, 2005 5:54 PM
IS ANY BODY ELSE UPSET OVER THE FACT THAT KNIGHTS NAME HAS COME UP???
IF MY SON WANTED TO PLAY AT TENNESSEE AND KNIGHT WAS THERE I WOULD TELL HIM THERE'S NO WAY.... I WOULD RATHER SEE HIM GO TO BAMA FIRST!!! :eek:

man bobby knight is one of the greastest coaches ever. those damn kids need a kick in the buttt. and he gives them one. incredible motivator and man.

hell two years ago he didnt except his yearly check from texas tech because he "underachieved". my god. nobody does that. i dont think we will get him, but if we do get him u better count ur blessings. we will definetly be 110% better. no matter what recruits we get.

I think BK turns takes these young boys and teaches them about teamwork, dedication, and how to be a man.

Everybody talks about the way Knight treats his players. However, I would say that 99% of the players that have played for him have nothing but good things to say about him and how he helped form their adult lives. You'll find more than 1% at any school that trash their former coach.... and its mostly disgruntled players that did not get playing time. We had a few of those guys on the teams I played on in my younger days.

IF MY SON WANTED TO PLAY AT TENNESSEE AND KNIGHT WAS THERE I WOULD TELL HIM THERE'S NO WAY.... I WOULD RATHER SEE HIM GO TO BAMA FIRST!!!

:blink: :bottom:

Oh, and unless he's 7 feet tall with a mean inside game and plays fierce defense, I'd rather him be in Tuscaloosa, anyway.

Originally posted by Volstorm@Mar 18, 2005 12:18 AM
That's blasphemy. Don't EVER send your kid to Bama.

I agree, that is taking tough love a little too far.

Originally posted by allvol@Mar 17, 2005 10:08 AM
Everybody talks about the way Knight treats his players. However, I would say that 99% of the players that have played for him have nothing but good things to say about him and how he helped form their adult lives. You'll find more than 1% at any school that trash their former coach.... and its mostly disgruntled players that did not get playing time. We had a few of those guys on the teams I played on in my younger days.

Will you find 1% that have been choked?

If Knight's only problem was a few disgruntled players, I doubt he would have been fired.

I'm all for discipline, but if you look at his history - he clearly has had anger management problems resulting in physical and verbal abuse. Discipline can be achieved without these tactics. Take Coach K who learned from BK, he achieves as much or more without the baggage.

Originally posted by volinbham@Mar 18, 2005 12:32 AM
Discipline can be achieved without these tactics. Take Coach K who learned from BK, he achieves as much or more without the baggage.

Yeah, but we can't get coach K....he is too busy doing commercials right now.

Coach K has every bit as much discipline as Knight. You just won't find any of it airing on the news.

When I was in college, we had a coach that was very similar to BK, minus the wins. Including the other coaches that I've had, they all had the same policy. What happens within the team stays within the team. All problems are resolved within the team. When stuff goes public, it ALWAYS gets blown way out of proportion.

So although there is a laundry list of items for BK, I take them with a little bit of salt because they are presenting only 1 side of the story from a journalistic prospective.

Originally posted by Volstorm@Mar 18, 2005 12:18 AM
That's blasphemy. Don't EVER send your kid to Bama.

Clarification: not MY kid, are you crazy? I was saying that ToddBond (who just may be a Bammer in disguise) can send his kid there for all I care, unless he's good at basketball. Anyone so vehemently opposed to bringing in such a renowned coach with closed-minded remarks such as his must enjoy watching our hoops program flounder year in and year out.

VN Store

Back