Brent Schaffer signs with.....?

duckman398686

VN's One and Only
My father recently talked to John Becksvoort, former UT placekicker for UT today and he said that Scaffer has signed with the Canes. Can anyone confirm this.

There's an article today in The State (Columbia, SC) talking about him going to Clemson. :dunno:

I have been hearing that it will be Clemson and he is also looking at GT now. I don't think that there is any way that he could be going to Miami. You never know though.

CLEMSON — If Brent Schaeffer wants to play at Clemson, Tommy Bowden said Tuesday he would welcome the former Tennessee quarterback despite his checkered past.

Schaeffer and Tennessee wide receiver Bret Smith pleaded guilty last month after a campus fight in April. The charges were reduced from misdemeanor assault to offensive touching assault, a lesser misdemeanor, and Smith has since been reinstated to Tennessee.

The players agreed to pay court costs and the victim’s medical expenses, and accept judicial diversion for six months.

Chandra Schaeffer, Brent's mother, said Tuesday her son continues to favor Clemson and will decide by the end of July. He has eliminated Texas A&M and added Georgia Tech, which he has not visited, along with North Carolina and South Florida, as possible destinations.

“He’s got to be making (a decision) pretty soon for us or somebody else to get the paperwork involved,” Bowden said. “But it’s not that big of an issue, because wherever he goes he’s not going to help this year” since Schaeffer must sit out until 2006.

Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer raised concerns about Schaeffer’s maturity, in part because he missed several classes after being warned.

“Brent’s going to have to adjust wherever he goes, not so much from a football standpoint, because he can fit a lot of systems,” Fulmer said at the SEC spring meetings in June. “But just being in a university setting and handling himself in the proper fashion as a student. That’s going to be the key to him being successful, and I wish him the best.”

Bowden attributed a lot of Schaeffer’s problems to being a freshman away from home and playing at a high-profile position.

“A lot of freshmen struggle academically their first year,” Bowden said. “Brett Favre’s been in a fight or two.”

Schaeffer was the first true freshman quarterback to start a SEC opener since 1945. He was a co-starter with freshman Erik Ainge in 2004 until Schaeffer's season ended with a broken collarbone, which he suffered at South Carolina.

Fulmer said Schaeffer needs a system that accounts for his mobility. Bowden said Schaeffer would play quarterback at Clemson but added that does not indicate a change in Clemson’s philosophy.

Charlie Whitehurst and his three backups were recruited as drop-back passers, a change Clemson made after versatile quarterback Woodrow Dantzler left in 2001. Riverside High School’s Michael Wade, a recent Clemson commitment, is also a drop-back quarterback.

I heard he bought a horse farm near Louisville and will play there........wait.......that could could have been a Spurrier rumor. :dlol:

VN Store

Back