Butch Jones/Bruce Pearl Connection?

Vol_51

Vols Against Bama
When Bruce Pearl was hired in 2005 he energized a mostly lethargic fanbase with his off the court passion, much the way Butch Jones has so far since his hire. But what really energized the fanbase and made Bruce a fanbase was a huge upset win against Texas in Austin. I think if (and thats a big IF) Butch can pull the shocker this week, we will see the same results as UT basketball did 8 years ago. That is a rise back into prominence, put the program back on the map, and an even more energized fanbase. This could be a game that could revitalize this program. Hopefully Butch doesn't have a barbecue. Any thoughts?

Reactions: 1 person
When Bruce Pearl was hired in 2005 he energized a mostly lethargic fanbase with his off the court passion, much the way Butch Jones has so far since his hire. But what really energized the fanbase and made Bruce a fanbase was a huge upset win against Texas in Austin. I think if (and thats a big IF) Butch can pull the shocker this week, we will see the same results as UT basketball did 8 years ago. That is a rise back into prominence, put the program back on the map, and an even more energized fanbase. This could be a game that could revitalize this program. Hopefully Butch doesn't have a barbecue. Any thoughts?

For some reason Butch has not yet won over the hearts of the students. Good points though, and if we beat the ducks it would be monumental. Tall order to pull off the upset.

Both of them have a ton of energy.... That's where the similarities end though....

I've met Bruce and was hugely disappointed... Not a very nice guy or personable at all, incredible speaker though.. More of a narcissist and a showman.... Lacks substance

Jones is a good value guy from a small town... Total opposite of Pearl IMO....

Reactions: 3 people
CBJ said in his press conference that it (the game) was a big challenge.........also a big opportunity. I hope the players paid attention to that.

Pearl got his first upset in Austin

Butch gets his first upset in Autzen

The similarities continue

Reactions: 2 people
Beating Oregon would be alot bigger than that Texas win. And it would be asking alot more of our players. Top 10 ranked basketball teams lose at home more often to unranked opponents than top 2 ranked football teams.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought we beat Texas in Knoxville ?

Both. The game on the road we smoked em and put us on the map. The game here everyone remembers Loftons 35 footer in Durants eye. The first game I was actually watching from a condo in Orange Beach AL on my honeymoon of December of 05.

Last edited:
Both of them have a ton of energy.... That's where the similarities end though....

I've met Bruce and was hugely disappointed... Not a very nice guy or personable at all, incredible speaker though.. More of a narcissist and a showman.... Lacks substance

Interesting. I've heard the opposite from family members who have worked with him.

Jones is a good value guy from a small town... Total opposite of Pearl IMO....

Funny, I've had the pleasure of Bruce's company a few times and he is as engaging in person as he is in the spotlight. Not sure what "substance" you were expecting in your 5 seconds with the man.

Both. The game on the road we smoked em and put us on the map. The game here everyone remembers Loftons 35 footer in Durants eye. The first game I was actually watching from a condo in Orange Beach AL on my honeymoon of December of 05.

I remember listening to the Austin game on the radio. I am a huge basketball fan, but barely followed Tennessee basketball. The excitement and chaos from that game was amazing. It seemed like for stretches, Texas couldn't even inbound the ball after a Tennessee basket. I am a Bruce Pearl fan from that day.

They both energized Tennessee programs that were down and desperate. Both of them were very successful at getting a lot of attention for the University Tennessee. And, both of them were able to quickly gain support from portions of the Tennessee fan base. But how they did these things could not be any more different.

Pearl was the definition of energy, both good and bad. Most fans were excited about him from day one despite negative aspects from his previous school. Pearl was effective at gaining attention for Tennessee basketball, but at the same time could not do it without also attracting attention to himself. The students and younger fans liked Pearl much more than the older/booster crowd.

The Butch Jones hire, on the other hand, was initially questioned by almost every UT supporter. He won the base over by standing by and defending his experience and coaching record, as well embracing the UT traditions and genuinely showing his appreciation for being the coach of the University of Tennessee football team. He has increased attention for UT without having to use gimmicks or over-the-top actions to do so. He has also done the right things to win the booster crowd over, as well as former UT players. The jerseys will no doubt upset some people, but the dividends they will pay for future players and recruits are too great to ignore. The students will come and go as wins and losses fluctuate. Having support from the boosters is by far the most important thing when it comes to support from our fan base.

I feel that Butch is in this for the right reasons and the long-term. So long as he produces good results on the field, I'm very confident that we will be back to our 10 win seasons in no time at all.

Last edited:
For some reason Butch has not yet won over the hearts of the students. Good points though, and if we beat the ducks it would be monumental. Tall order to pull off the upset.

to the bolded part: huh? Every informed student I know is aware that we are recruiting well and is very impressed with everything he has done so far.

I remember listening to the Austin game on the radio. I am a huge basketball fan, but barely followed Tennessee basketball. The excitement and chaos from that game was amazing. It seemed like for stretches, Texas couldn't even inbound the ball after a Tennessee basket. I am a Bruce Pearl fan from that day.

I was going nuts in that condo. People were like Tennessee has a basketball team? The Texas guard whos name escapes me now got a concussion in that game and announcers acted like it would have made a difference. The guy went out when we were already up like 20.

Just googled him Daniel Gibson. He actually played with LeBron in Cleveland. It was gonna bug me I couldnt remember his name. His dazed and confused face on tv Ill never forget.

Last edited:

1) UT basketball has never been prominaant. 2) This synopsis reminds me of Mark Rict against us in 01.

VN Store

Back