Butch Jones or Brian Kelly?

TucsonVol

Was Butch Jones the real genius during the Brian Kelly era at Central Michigan?

Last edited:
Jones was only on Kelly's staff as OC at CMU for one season. Jones wasn't on Kelly's staff at Cincinatti. At that time Jones was the HC at CMU. When Kelly left Cinci for ND that's when Jones became the HC at Cinci.

At this point I would take Kelly. I still wish we would have hired him in 09 or 10 instead of Kiffin or Dooley.

That's not saying that Jones can't have the same success as Kelly. Just at this point in time Kelly is a proven commodity. You would have to have heavily orange tinted glasses to say any different.

Reactions: 3 people
Brian Kelly should have and could have been hired in 2008. However, today I would take Jones, mainly because of personality and leadership style. I always hesitate to use the term "fit" but I think Jones is a better fit at UT. I think his style is what it takes to recruit, lead, and raise fan morale for a program in the state UT was when he took over. Right coach for the right time.

Reactions: 2 people
Seriously . . . We've seen him beat WKU and Austin Peay. Lets tap the brakes a little.

You don't think that is proof enough to compare him to a coach who has been to a National Championship game?

Anyone who saw what a complete tool Brian Kelly looked like on Saturday night should ask themselves "would i really want that guy coaching my kid?" That guy looks like the biggest a hole on the planet, and ND is going down hard this year.

Jones was only on Kelly's staff as OC at CMU for one season. Jones wasn't on Kelly's staff at Cincinatti. At that time Jones was the HC at CMU. When Kelly left Cinci for ND that's when Jones became the HC at Cinci.

At this point I would take Kelly. I still wish we would have hired him in 09 or 10 instead of Kiffin or Dooley.

That's not saying that Jones can't have the same success as Kelly. Just at this point in time Kelly is a proven commodity. You would have to have heavily orange tinted glasses to say any different.

Kelly is certainly a proven commodity, but I personally don't like his demeanor and how he carries himself. He just seems like a bit of an a**hole.

Plus, he coaches ND. That's a stain that can never be removed, imo.

I just hope he was serious about this being a destination job. I don't want to be a stepping stone again.

He did pretty well against bama last year

He did pretty well getting a team that no one expected to even sniff a BCS bowl into the NC game.

Granted he did get slaughtered when he got there. But not too many teams would have fared differently.

I am so sick of tap the brakes, hold on, wait and see. get on with Vols or get the hell out of the way GO Butch - Go Big Orange

I just hope he was serious about this being a destination job. I don't want to be a stepping stone again.

He goes out of his way to say it, so I believe it is genuine. Why wouldn't it be his destination job? Most coaches avoid statements that could come back to bite them later, so he wouldn't volunteer those statements about this being his dream job if he were eyeing something down the road. Most coaches have to be cornered to say those things, he is adamant about it. I think Pearl was the same way and they are alike in many ways.

Anyone who saw what a complete tool Brian Kelly looked like on Saturday night should ask themselves "would i really want that guy coaching my kid?" That guy looks like the biggest a hole on the planet, and ND is going down hard this year.

Depends how badly your son wants to win. I doubt many Cincinnati players were complaining when they went to two straight BSC bowls.

Reactions: 1 person
Kelly is certainly a proven commodity, but I personally don't like his demeanor and how he carries himself. He just seems like a bit of an a**hole.

Plus, he coaches ND. That's a stain that can never be removed, imo.

I'm with you. The guy has a perpetual case of 'punch face' (ie...everytime I see it, I want to punch it.) He just looks like a douchy dude.

Add to that the epic azz-whoopin from Saban and the fact that ND was his 'dream job' and I'll take my chances with Butch.

He did pretty well getting a team that no one expected to even sniff a BCS bowl into the NC game.

Granted he did get slaughtered when he got there. But not too many teams would have fared differently.

He and Dooley almost had to same score vs Bama...

Let that sink in.

VN Store

Back