Buzz Fired?

TBALLVOL

The way I see it, Hamilton has no choice but to fire Peterson, fair or unfair. If he gives him just one more year like many would like to see happen, few recruits would look at Buzz being on stable ground. Same goes with Buzz bringing on new assistant coaches. What assistant coach worth his salt will take the chance of Buzz not being here after one year. So after a year, things go from bad to worse, and Hamilton gets the blame. If Hamilton announces that he is going to honor Buzz's contract for the next three years come hell or high water, to help firm up recruiting or to show some assistant coaches some stability, and things go from bad to worse next year, Hamilton looks even worse and he will be forced to ask Buzz to voluntarily resign so that he won't have to go back on his word. I don't see anything pretty coming out of this for Buzz unfortunately. Hamilton is riding pretty high on the horse now days. He has a few feathers in his hat as football fortunes are rising and alot of capital improvement projects taking off- stadium improvements, other sports programs doing well and improving. The situation with Buzz will either make him a star stepping out of the shadow of the "tall guy" (Dickey) or he will take a big hit and be viewed as a weak leader being led himself by circumstance. It would appear to me that the only choice Hamilton has is to pull the trigger and then buy the biggest dog on the porch. It may cost alot of money, but they will forgive you if you win. If you lose they never forgive you. Losers never stay at Tennessee, coaches or AD's. As a matter of fact, if you even smell like a loser at Tennessee you are gone. Ask Jerry Green.

i dont see any way around it. unless for some strange reason he believes Buzz will turn it all around next year. Hamilton may use the excuse about stability but thats just not true. All the recruits will know that next year will definately Buzz's last unless there is DRAMATIC improvement

I say do it now and attempt to control the damage. waitin one more year is just puttin off the inevitable

I thought Buzz was going to be the answer. I know alot of people did. But it is clear that Buzz is not the answer and we need to get rid of him as quickly as possible. He had his shot and he just did not get the job done.

So let's move on and get someone else in here that can do the job.

but he can't go out and buy "the biggest dog on the porch" because there is no way that we are going to pay a basketball coach more than our football coach, it just doesn't make sense at this point to do so. So, if you can't go out and spend a ton of money to get the best avaliable out there then who are you going to get for less money to come to tennessee-and would you want that person over buzz? is the grass really greener?

Originally posted by crazyguy@Feb 23, 2005 6:32 PM
but he can't go out and buy "the biggest dog on the porch" because there is no way that we are going to pay a basketball coach more than our football coach, it just doesn't make sense at this point to do so. So, if you can't go out and spend a ton of money to get the best avaliable out there then who are you going to get for less money to come to tennessee-and would you want that person over buzz? is the grass really greener?

Thats true. UT probably won't be able to get an experienced, high profile coach that we all want. UT will have to try for another up anc coming coach from a mid-major and hope it works out.

Originally posted by zizou+Feb 23, 2005 6:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (zizou @ Feb 23, 2005 6:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-crazyguy@Feb 23, 2005 6:32 PM
but he can&#39;t go out and buy "the biggest dog on the porch" because there is no way that we are going to pay a basketball coach more than our football coach, it just doesn&#39;t make sense at this point to do so. So, if you can&#39;t go out and spend a ton of money to get the best avaliable out there then who are you going to get for less money to come to tennessee-and would you want that person over buzz? is the grass really greener?

Thats true. UT probably won&#39;t be able to get an experienced, high profile coach that we all want. UT will have to try for another up anc coming coach from a mid-major and hope it works out. [/quote]
and let&#39;s not forget that buzz was the second coming when we got him...

Thats true. It just goes to show you that all of the "experts" get things wrong too. Dean Smith even recommended Peterson to UT.

i wouldn&#39;t say i&#39;d give up on ut basketball, but something does need to be done around here. look at it this way. if buzz stays next year it can potentially hurt us in the long term because recruits for next years team might not want to come to a school that is coached by someone(buzz) who had a terrible season. buzz should be let go at seasons end. :disappointed:

The thing is, even if Buzz does come back next year, what does he have to put out on the court that will make us better than this year? Star recruits from BB heaven?..NO. New and BETTER assistant coaches from BB heaven?..NO. Soooo, here we are next year nearing the end of an even worse season. Buzz&#39;s reputation as a D-1 coach is totally destroyed because his own performance dried up his potential resources to improve his team. So what do we do now? What did we gain by giving Buzz another year? What does Buzz gain by staying another year?

The way I see it, the worse thing that can happen is for a team to beat the crap out of some good teams during the year, and then lose a ton of games overall. It shows capability but then shows lack of motivation, lack of good decision making, lack of inspiration, and all the other things that cause a 15-20 loss season.

I personally do not think things will improve next year. I wish Buzz well, but I think he needs to go somewhere else and start over. Can&#39;t get it done at U.T. now, in my opinion. :shakehead:

Hey zizou, I said the sme thing you said about an up-and-coming mid-major coach in an earlier post, different thread.

GO VOLS&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Well, if UT&#39;s not going to shell out the big money for a name brand coach, then why even bother firing Buzz? I mean if your at about .500, and have no intention of coming off &#036;2MM, then there is nothing to consider at this point. The fact they would then be paying 3 coaches for at least 1 more year doesn&#39;t lead one to believe Buzz is getting canned either. Just a few arguements, but I for one think he should get the axe after this year based on his lazy style of coaching, the fact that the defensive play has been MIA since he took control, they have maybe 1 division I caliber player, and the mediocre talent he does have never gets developed. :flush:

I kinda wish Buzz was fired last year and we got Jeff Lebo. But now Lebo is at Auburn with no intentions of leaving anythime soon.

lets fire buzz and buy coach k from Duke then we would see results

Attachments

• ap_trucks1.jpg
    ap_trucks1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
I would have to have a "Buzz" just to watch our Men&#39;s B-ball team play.... :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Originally posted by RockyTop08@Feb 24, 2005 10:53 PM
lets fire buzz and buy coach k from Duke then we would see results

Coach K is never gonna leave Duke, and unless Buzz is fired this year, part of me think he will never leave UT :(

Peterson is definitely likeable, but has proven he can&#39;t lead this program where we want it to be. He has to go. Best case scenario would be to move Peterson into the athletic department. I do think a mid-major coach would be the route to go. We need someone who can coach basketball period. Recruiting is important but doesn&#39;t matter if you can&#39;t develop the talent you have. All I want is competitive team that plays sound basketball, win the SEC occasionally, and get into the tourney regularly. Maybe that is too much but how about just good enoughed so that I can admit in public to being a Vols basketball fan. I can&#39;t do that now.

VN Store

Back