Buzz Gone?

RockyTop08

Should we hope to lose to Arkansas so Buzz will be gone.
Losing early would help the AD'S decision.

Planning for the future

I believe the decision has already been made win or lose. But if TN wins the SEC and goes to the NCAA. That would be the only scenario that I see that could justify another year for Buzz.

Well, Scooter said that he thought they could win it all. I wonder what he was basing that on? Lofton taking every shot?

Well, Scooter said that he thought they could win it all. I wonder what he was basing that on? Lofton taking every shot?

I Scooter had shown up to play this year, we wouldn't be having this discussion. The 2 guys Buzz was counting on to lead this team let the team down. The hell with what Scooter says. He's a wuss.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Mar 8, 2005 12:18 PM

May have been basing it on the fact that both he and Crump will be playing in the tournament. The Vols are 13-16 overall. However, they are 11-9 with both Scooter and Crump in the lineup. In the 9 games that one or both were out, the Vols were 2-7.

Losses that occurred during those 9 games that the Vols really should have won were...

59-62 at Auburn
62-67 at Vanderbilt
58-60 at Ole Miss
68-70 at Arkansas

Win those and the Vols are a more respectable 17-12.

The Vols lost at Arkansas by a score of 68-70 without Scooter. Adding Scooter to the lineup will definately increase the Vols chances.

If the Vols get by Arkansas (18-11, 6-10), they will play Kentucky (23-4, 14-2) in the 2nd round. I would normally think this game was not winnable, however the Vols held their own against Kentucky last week without Scooter. Kentucky will have its eyes towards the NCAA tournament and will be ripe for an upset. South Carolina showed that last week when they upset Kentucky.

Get by Kentucky, and the bracket gets a little easier. Auburn (13-16, 4-12) plays Vanderbilt (18-12, 8-8) in the first round. That winner plays LSU (19-8, 12-4) in the 2nd round. If the Vols beat Kentucky, they'll get one of those teams. If its LSU, remember the Vols whipped LSU 77-55 just a few weeks ago. And Crump did not play in that game.

If they win in the semifinals, its off to the SEC Championship game where anything can happen. The bracket on the other side appears to be a bit tougher. I predict that South Carolina (15-12, 7-9) beats Ole Miss (13-16, 4-12) and Miss State (21-9, 9-7) beats Georgia (8-19, 2-14). South Carolina then faces Alabama (23-6, 12-4) and Miss State faces Florida (20-7, 12-4). The Vols have beaten South Carolina, Miss State and Florida. The toughest opponent for the Vols would Alabama, who ironically has owned Tennessee the past several years (unlike in Football where the Vols own Alabama :D ).

Arkansas made a run through the tournament a few years ago to make it into the NCAA tournament .... and don't forget the year that the Vols made it to the SEC Championship game after finishing the regular season with a 9-21 record. That season (1990-91), the Vols beat Ole Miss 94-85 in the first round.... upset #18 Miss State 87-70.... then beat Georgia 85-65 in the semis... before running out of gas against #24 Alabama 69-88.

Win or lose the decision has already been made.

For those of you who like the talking heads on the Radio think coaches will be knocking down UT's door to coach here are delusional. If Buzz is fired look for the next coach to come from the same pool Buzz did.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Mar 8, 2005 5:14 PM
Win or lose the decision has already been made.

For those of you who like the talking heads on the Radio think coaches will be knocking down UT's door to coach here are delusional. If Buzz is fired look for the next coach to come from the same pool Buzz did.

I agree with you on this one. Why would any coach come to UT after they fired Don Devoe after he took the Vols to the NCAA tourney with a 19-11 record.... and then fired Green after averaging 22.3 wins per season and 4 straight NCAA appearances. Its been quite awhile since Bobby Knight strung 4 straight NCAA appearances together. The Vols set the bar too high and no good coach will come here..... unless they are willing to pay the big $$ to lure an established coach?

I agree TNVOLS1 that I don't see us getting a big name coach. Probably another mid major type guy. What do you all think about Marshall from Winthrop. I think he has taken them to 5 straight NCAA's. :dunno:

I wish we could get Greene back......If we could get a guy from a big basketball school to come over, we would be in good shape but that won't happen...If Buzz is gone, we will just have to wait and see what happens...I say let Pat Head coach both teams...Double up her pay check and let coach both teams...It's a thought LOL

Like him or not, Buzz has to go...62 and 58 is terrible for 4 years. There are plenty of nice guys coaching in the NCAA...and they win ball games. Bobby Knight would be great here! He would pack TB every night they played and bring a little neopolitan to an otherwise vanilla program.

VN Store

Back