Staff member
Caldwell passes on Arkansas
Longtime Tennessee assistant football coach Steve Caldwell gave his boss
something of an early Christmas present Sunday. With at least two
coaching vacancies to fill after the Vols face Wisconsin in the Outback
Bowl on Jan. 1, Tennessee's defensive ends coach made sure UT coach
Phillip Fulmer didn't have to add another position to his coaching
search.

I guess there is not way to be sure that Petrino will still be there when the season starts.

I wonder if the way Petrino left the Falcons and his inability to stay anywhere for too long played into his decision. Not that I doubt for one second that his family had everything to do with it. Glad he chose to stay, especially since he could've doubled his salary.

defensive coordinator.

Surprised me. I didn't think Caldwell had that much respect in the conference. He was also the primary special teams coach at UT a couple of years ago when UT had some bad special teams.

A few more interesting notes

UT has yet to announce raises for its assistant coaches, although Fulmer said that Caldwell will receive an increase.
Still, it won't be as big as the one Caldwell could have received at Arkansas, which paid Reggie Herring $350,000 as its defensive coordinator this season.
Caldwell, regarded as one of UT's best recruiters, earns $150,000.

A few more
Caldwell and Petrino, who resigned as the Atlanta Falcons' head coach earlier this month to take over at Arkansas, coached together at Nevada in 1994.
At Nevada, Caldwell was the co-defensive coordinator and Petrino the offensive coordinator.

interesting that he turned down a chance to double his salary....if you're going to cite family as the reason not to go, wouldnt family also be a viable reason to take the money? How nice is it to see a man choose stability over cash in this day and age? He would have been a very tough loss in recrutiing as well.

Caldwell has worked for him before and perhaps did not like the experience.. I think turning down around 200k and a promotion says alot against Petrino or for CPF.

I agree. Losing either of those guys would bother me more than losing Taylor, Luke or Roper.

Take Taylor away and I agree with you, Taylor is much more valuable than Caldwell, I think Taylor's pay would make you believe that, Caldwell here since '95 and only makes $150k, Taylor here in four yrs and Fulmer has him making $175k. Taylor has had more job offers in four yrs than any other UT assisitant in last ten yrs. Caldwell does a decent job I'll admit but he could easily be replaced.

I can't believe CBP entertained the thought of hiring him as his DC. Makes me wonder lil more about Petrino. I can't see Caldwell being a successful DC in the SEC.

I disagree completely. Caldwell has done more with less than any other coach on our staff, period.

I never thought UT needed 1 coach for DT and 1 coach for DE. It seems like 1 person, Brooks, could coach the entire DL and free up a position on the staff solely for special teams. Same with the TE, why couldnt the WR coach, coach TE as well and free up a positon for Special Teams coach.

is there a limit on the number of coaches we can have or is it a salary thing?

I never thought UT needed 1 coach for DT and 1 coach for DE. It seems like 1 person, Brooks, could coach the entire DL and free up a position on the staff solely for special teams. Same with the TE, why couldnt the WR coach, coach TE as well and free up a positon for Special Teams coach.
Probably because the responsibilities and techniques at defensive end and tight end are vastly different than those of defensive tackle and wide receiver. If having a permanent special teams coach was such a brilliant idea, why do almost no successful programs have one?

I disagree completely. Caldwell has done more with less than any other coach on our staff, period.

We've always been talented at DE (Little, Ellis, etc.) until the last couple years, we're not too talented now. I'll say he's done 'decent' - I do believe he was in charge of our special teams few yrs ago when they were really bad.

To be fair about the special teams, after UF they really turned it around once Britton got healthy and we changed our punt protection formation.

VN Store

Back