Can Ainge play the bowl game?

They have told us that he will be able to play. But I would rather he stay out and continue to get healthy. Clausen is doing a fine job.

I say let Ainge close out the fourth. He can come back and make an impact next season, while Crompton redshirts.

I think I'd shut Ainge down for the season. Why risk his shoulder when we're basically playing for pride? Get him healthy for spring practice.

Originally posted by milohimself@Dec 5, 2004 9:33 PM
I can't wait to see him play next season :good:

Me either . . . With all the skill guys that are coming back, if Ainge can work through the injury and get a little stronger, I expect big things.

He was brought in and trained kind of quickly at the beginning of this season... He's got two problems that need to be corrected, that I've noticed

1. Bring up the weight to 215-220 ish, 200 is a little too light for his size and

2. Square up the shoulders a little more in the pocket, so he can see around him a little better, there were too many instances where he got pummled from the back because his body was facing the sideline.

Originally posted by GAVol@Dec 5, 2004 9:31 PM
Why risk his shoulder when we're basically playing for pride?

Gotta disagree with that one, GAVol. That's the attitude that I think the current system has created -- a sense of apathy toward the non-BCS bowls. For decades, bowl games have been the culmination of season accomplishments and I'd rather not view our New Years appearance as a consolation prize.

Doc, I understand what you are saying, but the BCS has screwed up the bowl scene. QF if your not in the BCS NC Bowl.... :dunno: Look at what has happened to the Cotton Bowl for instance. The CB was one of the premier bowls 10 years ago. Now, the whole bowl scene has become an engine to further enchance the NCAA $$$$, while PRETENDING to validify a real NC.

Originally posted by milohimself@Dec 5, 2004 8:47 PM
He was brought in and trained kind of quickly at the beginning of this season... He's got two problems that need to be corrected, that I've noticed

1. Bring up the weight to 215-220 ish, 200 is a little too light for his size and

2. Square up the shoulders a little more in the pocket, so he can see around him a little better, there were too many instances where he got pummled from the back because his body was facing the sideline.

And spend the Summer learning from Peyton!!!

I say let Clausen play. Ainge couldnt have done any better last night. Clausen did a fine job. Our problems dont lie at QB!!!!! :dunno:

Well said. Don't risk the health of the QB's. I'm sure Clausen understands his role when they get healthy again, and he'll do his part to get them there. QB is not our problem.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc+Dec 5, 2004 10:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kiddiedoc @ Dec 5, 2004 10:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GAVol@Dec 5, 2004 9:31 PM
Why risk his shoulder when we&#39;re basically playing for pride?

Gotta disagree with that one, GAVol. That&#39;s the attitude that I think the current system has created -- a sense of apathy toward the non-BCS bowls. For decades, bowl games have been the culmination of season accomplishments and I&#39;d rather not view our New Years appearance as a consolation prize. [/quote]
I understand what you are saying, but let me clarify my point. I&#39;m not suggesting that we sit Ainge just for the sake of holding him out for next year. If Ainge is 100%, of course I say put him in there. Anything less than that and I think we should take our chances with Clausen and protect Ainge&#39;s shoulder.

Originally posted by milohimself@Dec 5, 2004 9:47 PM
He was brought in and trained kind of quickly at the beginning of this season... He&#39;s got two problems that need to be corrected, that I&#39;ve noticed

Reminds me a whole lot of where Manning was after his freshman year. Not saying Ainge will be the next Manning, just making the point that the difference between Manning as a freshman and Manning as a sophmore was absolutely stunning as far as arm strength and knowledge of the offense.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc+Dec 5, 2004 10:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kiddiedoc @ Dec 5, 2004 10:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GAVol@Dec 5, 2004 9:31 PM
Why risk his shoulder when we&#39;re basically playing for pride?

Gotta disagree with that one, GAVol. That&#39;s the attitude that I think the current system has created -- a sense of apathy toward the non-BCS bowls. For decades, bowl games have been the culmination of season accomplishments and I&#39;d rather not view our New Years appearance as a consolation prize. [/quote]
Of course the bowls at the end of this year have an impact on next year. If they don&#39;t change the BCS then preseason standings are huge and winning your bowl game becomes important if you want a high preseason ranking...just look at auburn&#33;

Originally posted by crazyguy@Dec 6, 2004 10:26 AM
If they don&#39;t change the BCS then preseason standings are huge and winning your bowl game becomes important if you want a high preseason ranking...just look at auburn&#33;

Great point - With the people we have coming back, a big win over A & M would probably make us a preseason 8-10 ranking next year.

Originally posted by milohimself@Dec 5, 2004 9:47 PM
He was brought in and trained kind of quickly at the beginning of this season... He&#39;s got two problems that need to be corrected, that I&#39;ve noticed

Unfortunately, before he got hurt, I noticed he was developing "happy feet". He didnt have them early in the season. I think playing a majority of the games did a number on his mental game. He was once as cool as a cucumber in the pocket.

"happy feet" ?...... that&#39;s what those morons over at ESPN said during Manning&#39;s senior season in &#39;97 while he was throwing for 3819 yards and 36 TD&#39;s.

:espn:

Originally posted by allvol@Dec 6, 2004 5:18 PM
"happy feet" ?...... that&#39;s what those morons over at ESPN said during Manning&#39;s senior season in &#39;97 while he was throwing for 3819 yards and 36 TD&#39;s.

Manning played for 4 years with "Happy feet". He said he learned it from somebody. Its part of his game. Keep his feet moving, instead of planted, in case he has to scramble.

Ainge, however got his in the middle of the season, when those long looks downfield that he got againsg UNLV, were turning into sacks against Ole Miss and BAMA.

Only criticism I have of Ainge is that he sometimes drops his arm and throws high, but they&#39;ll fix that.

Originally posted by _volfan_+Dec 6, 2004 5:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_volfan_ @ Dec 6, 2004 5:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-allvol@Dec 6, 2004 5:18 PM
"happy feet" ?......  that&#39;s what those morons over at ESPN said during Manning&#39;s senior season in &#39;97 while he was throwing for 3819 yards and 36 TD&#39;s.

Manning played for 4 years with "Happy feet". He said he learned it from somebody. Its part of his game. Keep his feet moving, instead of planted, in case he has to scramble.

Ainge, however got his in the middle of the season, when those long looks downfield that he got againsg UNLV, were turning into sacks against Ole Miss and BAMA. [/quote]
I&#39;m not looking to pick a fight, but Ainge was only sacked 5 times all season.....

1 for -3 against Georgia
1 for -7 against South Carolina
3 for -31 against Notre Dame

He may have rushed his throws or scrambled out of the pocket early... but I thought I remembered that Ainge just doesn&#39;t get sacked much... so I looked up the stats.

Other notables.

Clausen&#39;s only 2 sacks were against Notre Dame. Shaeffer was sacked 9 times.

VN Store

Back