Can Rick Do it Again?

A couple AMAZING quotes in there....

"In the other, the journeyman player, who is following in the footsteps of an underappreciated brother. "

"The Vols down the stretch became his team, and subsequently played their best offensive football of the year."

"Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Some of the greatest quarterbacks ever to have played the game didn’t have quote, unquote ‘all the physical skills.’ It’s not about your physical skills. It’s about getting the job done. It’s about moving the football and putting the football in the end zone and scoring points,"

This kid deserves some playing time regardless of who starts.

I'd still like to see the coaches figure out a way to use them both. Rick brings some things to the table that a defensive coordinator has to prepare for differently.

Originally posted by OldVol@Aug 11, 2005 8:30 AM
This kid deserves some playing time regardless of who starts.

I'd still like to see the coaches figure out a way to use them both. Rick brings some things to the table that a defensive coordinator has to prepare for differently.
[snapback]125480[/snapback]​

Like what?

I like Rick a lot, but what would they have to prepare differently for? Rick is not more mobile, or more dangerous deep...

Just curious.

I don't see how switching them out is going to help us out at all. It always seems to get teams in a funk when you do that and gets the qb you take out in a mood that you dont trust him to get the job done after he throws an int or something.

When I watch the practice highlights. I am much more impressed with Ainge. When he throws it looks effortless, but when he needs to he can throw further and higher (to allow receivers to adjust and run under it).
In my opinion, I dont see Clausen beating out Ainge for the starting job and I dont see any advantage in playing both of them. With Schaefer it was different cause you had a different style (running qb) but Clausen is less mobile then Ainge is.

I can appreciate Rick's knowledge of the game and his leadership ability but I think I would go with the more talented Ainge. Unless Ainge has a glaring weakness or shows that he makes bad decisions, I think you have to go with the player that gives you the best chance to win. The tradeoff may be that Rick gets offended and we lose out on his little brother Jimmy. But I think Rick is bigger than that and would know that we play the best and if he was the best he would be playing.

I think CPF proved with the whole CJ Leak episode that he will never make a personnel decision based on anything other than who gives us the best chance to win.

It always seems to get teams in a funk when you do that and gets the qb you take out in a mood that you dont trust him to get the job done after he throws an int or something.

Seemed to work out ok for us.

I would say that he deserves some playing times. The way he took over the team and didn't miss a beat has to amount for something. Plus he was spectacular againt TT.

Originally posted by Fadeproof@Aug 11, 2005 4:05 PM
Seemed to work out ok for us.

I would say that he deserves some playing times. The way he took over the team and didn't miss a beat has to amount for something. Plus he was spectacular againt TT.
[snapback]125632[/snapback]​

Yeah it worked out great for yall. How many times did yall when a national championship using that philosophy? I rest my case. A two qb system will never work. Espically when they both play the same. I say just get rick in late in games and keep him fresh just in case Ainge goes down.

Never said we won a MNC. But we had 42-10 record, 4 bowl appearances and an SEC championship over 4 years of doing it. I would say those are pretty descent numbers.

Originally posted by Fadeproof@Aug 11, 2005 4:12 PM
Never said we won a MNC. But we had 42-10 record, 4 bowl appearances and an SEC championship over 4 years of doing it. I would say those are pretty descent numbers.
[snapback]125639[/snapback]​

But I just dont see how playing two qbs with the same playing stlye is going to help at all.

Originally posted by OldVol@Aug 11, 2005 8:30 AM
[snapback]125480[/snapback]​

I just don't see it. Even Sanders said that he didn't want to use 2 QB this year because there is not that much difference between Ainge and Clausen to do any good.

Rick is better at the thinking, Ainge is better at the physical stuff. Like I have said before, I like Rick and appreciate what he did at the end of the season, but just about the only adjustment the DC will have to make for Rick is not to worry about the deep ball anymore.

Originally posted by vols2345+Aug 11, 2005 4:13 PM-->
But I just dont see how playing two qbs with the same playing stlye is going to help at all.
[snapback]125640[/snapback]​

<!--QuoteBegin-Orangewhiteblood
@Aug 11, 2005 4:18 PM
I just don&#39;t see it.  Even Sanders said that he didn&#39;t want to use 2 QB this year because there is not that much difference between Ainge and Clausen to do any good. 

Rick is better at the thinking, Ainge is better at the physical stuff.  Like I have said before, I like Rick and appreciate what he did at the end of the season, but just about the only adjustment the DC will have to make for Rick is not to worry about the deep ball anymore.
[snapback]125643[/snapback]​

I agree totally I was just saying if you have two QB&#39;s off different styles it could be beneficial. I personally would like to have seen Shockley played more to force DC&#39;s to scheme for when he came into the game.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Aug 11, 2005 4:18 PM
I just don&#39;t see it.  Even Sanders said that he didn&#39;t want to use 2 QB this year because there is not that much difference between Ainge and Clausen to do any good. 

Rick is better at the thinking, Ainge is better at the physical stuff.  Like I have said before, I like Rick and appreciate what he did at the end of the season, but just about the only adjustment the DC will have to make for Rick is not to worry about the deep ball anymore.
[snapback]125643[/snapback]​

We will have a clear #1 guy. Fulmer is not going to play the dual QB role again. If Ainge has progressed the way he should have the he starts and Clausen plays mop up duty. No way it goes down any other way.

Lets just hope either way&#39; that they work close together&#33;

Rick knows the playbook just about as well as Peyton perfected it.
Ainge has every talent and skill to run the O&#39;. This chemistry is wicked, If the 2 meet for lunch, dinner and again breakfast in the film room.

Its Ainges job, But CPF wants to keep his head out of the clouds. Ainge is now selling his play fake, delays, like a legit buisness owner.

I worry about his reads, and different looks he might get. He has great vision, film study will tell the tale.

VN Store

Back