Cannon Peebles

6-6, 3 2Bs, 2Hr, 10 RBIs. Simply amazing!!! If you have go 3-6, 1 Hr, 3 rbis that’s considered a great game, this mofo wen5 beyond that. Can’t wait to see him in Orange and White. Next up is Billy Amick, and Luke Holman. Maybe Beam and CMo are actively recruting Luke at USA camp.

So glad to have this guy in orange.
You've got to have the big hitters in the lineup..Can't expect 5 guys to carry the load every game. 8-9 have to be difference makers at the plate.
With some timely hitting the Volunteers could have easily made the championship series.
Hopefully they can get back to Omaha in 2024.

Will Peebles play catcher? All anyone has talked about is his hitting. Are there any videos of him catching? If he can't throw out a runner, you guys will just eat him up like the previous ones. He did not catch last season but was a DH from what I have read. Because whether some of you like it or not, our pitching will not slide step so if he does not have Cannon for an arm, he will still let runners run on us and will be crucified. I'm fine with the bat but most of you guys are looking for the bat, glove, and arm and there are very few of those around.

Will Peebles play catcher? All anyone has talked about is his hitting. Are there any videos of him catching? If he can't throw out a runner, you guys will just eat him up like the previous ones. He did not catch last season but was a DH from what I have read. Because whether some of you like it or not, our pitching will not slide step so if he does not have Cannon for an arm, he will still let runners run on us and will be crucified. I'm fine with the bat but most of you guys are looking for the bat, glove, and arm and there are very few of those around.

There will obviously be an open competition for catcher. Tony doesn’t make promises. But, I don’t think Tony brings him in unless he’s eyeing him to win the starting job. If Cal Stark makes strides this Fall, and outplays Peebles, he’ll get the job obviously. But I just find it hard to believe Tony brings him in just to DH him and I don’t think Peebles comes here if he didn’t think he was going to get an honest shot at catcher.

There will obviously be an open competition for catcher. Tony doesn’t make promises. But, I don’t think Tony brings him in unless he’s eyeing him to win the starting job. If Cal Stark makes strides this Fall, and outplays Peebles, he’ll get the job obviously. But I just find it hard to believe Tony brings him in just to DH him and I don’t think Peebles comes here if he didn’t think he was going to get an honest shot at catcher.
I by no means am an insider but I have heard from a second hand source that Stark may be done with baseball. IDK if it is true or not but that is what I heard.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
He had 9 starts last season behind the dish. E Cain said he was looking to leave because the guy in front of him was only a year ahead of him and starting. I don’t think he comes here unless he is planning to catch.

That is true. We will see.

We definitely needed another right hand power bat. He seems to check the box in that regard.

Why wont they? That drove me crazy all season & I wondered why they weren’t using a slide step.

Preacher can provide the best answer...

However, I do think that Frank wants them focused on the hitter. The normal stretch kick provides the best chance of a pitch that will generate an out. At this age range, the slide move is more likely to produce a hanger that might get launched.

Frank has the experience, knows the ropes, and I trust his judgement.

Short answer. Pros don’t unless that is what part of who they are. Our lower velocity guys use it, but our higher velocity guys do not. The same in the pros. I love one of his favorite quotes and that is if you are doing your job, the further is they can steal is third. Followed by if you are doing your job, they never get on base to steal.

Stark is OK behind the plate but can't hit his weight.If Cannon is OK catcher he will start because of hitting! Nothing is sure until he proves it in the SEC !

Stark is OK behind the plate but can't hit his weight.If Cannon is OK catcher he will start because of hitting! Nothing is sure until he proves it in the SEC !

Yes. Cal came on nicely in back half of year. Our catching was not an issue in the NCAA tournament.

Yep. We aren't that concerned about holding runners so if a catcher has a superior bat, he's gonna be the man. I'd love to see a super bat to go with a super arm that has runners afraid to take more than a step off first base, but if we can't get the whole enchilada, I'm fine with swinging a big damn stick.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Short answer. Pros don’t unless that is what part of who they are. Our lower velocity guys use it, but our higher velocity guys do not. The same in the pros. I love one of his favorite quotes and that is if you are doing your job, the further is they can steal is third. Followed by if you are doing your job, they never get on base to steal.
Slide step and time to the plate are definitely skills that are focused on at the pro level. The higher the level, the more it is tweaked and refined.

I can’t find where I read it, but supposedly Peebles has a really good POP time. The person who said it compared it to some of the best in MLB. Would be great, if true.

VN Store

Back