CFB playoff schedule/sites announced

Neyland2nd2none

There will be six bowls making up the playoff rotation: the Rose Bowl, the Sugar Bowl, the Orange Bowl, the Fiesta Bowl, the Chick-fil-A Bowl, and the Cotton Bowl. Two Semifinal games and then a championship game each year.

2014 Season
Rose Bowl 1/1/2015 (Semifinal)
Sugar Bowl 1/1/2015 (Semifinal)
Orange Bowl 12/31/2014
Cotton Bowl 1/1/2015
Fiesta Bowl 12/31/2014
Chick-fil-A Bowl 12/31/2014
Championship Game 1/12/2015 (Arlington, TX)

2015 Season
Rose Bowl 1/1/2016
Sugar Bowl 1/1/2016
Orange Bowl 12/31/2015 (Semifinal)
Cotton Bowl 12/31/2015 (Semifinal)
Fiesta Bowl 1/1/2016
Chick-fil-A Bowl 12/31/2015
Championship Game 1/11/2016 (To Be Determined)

2016 Season
Rose Bowl 1/2/2017
Sugar Bowl 1/2/2017
Orange Bowl 12/31/2016
Cotton Bowl 1/2/2017
Fiesta Bowl 12/31/2016 (Semifinal)
Chick-fil-A Bowl 12/31/2016 (Semifinal)
Championship Game 1/9/2017 (To Be Determined)

Ready For The First “College Football Playoff” Title Game At Cowboys Stadium?

Here's a piece of an article from espn regarding the selection committee:

Obviously, the commissioners must still tackle their most arduous task: choosing who will serve on a selection committee that is expected to include 14 to 20 members, according to BCS executive director Bill Hancock. The commissioners hope the committee will work like the NCAA men's basketball committee, which seeds and selects at-large bids for the 68-team basketball tournament. Each of the 10 FBS conferences will have at least one representative, along with as many as four to 10 at-large members.

Determining who will serve on the committee -- whether it's current athletics directors, former ADs or ex-coaches -- and figuring out what criteria they'll use to select the four teams that will play in the national semifinals is the linchpin in the entire deal. If the commissioners can't figure out a way to choose the teams as objectively as possible using criteria like schedule strength, conference championships, etc., then we'll be right back where we were in the dark days of the BCS.

FBS commissioners take first step in making College Football playoff a reality - ESPN

Should be interesting to see how the selection committee shakes out. Probably gonna be a lot of bickering about who each conference's representative is as well as the 4-10 at large members. I'm sure there won't be any politics involved lol.

I really like how all the semifinal games are played on either new years eve or new years day instead of a random weeknight like most of the BCS games were. This playoff format is scheduled to run through 2026. Hopefully we'll be involved in quite a few of them under Butch.

Reactions: 1 person
Wonder how it will fall if you have 2 undefeated teams in SEC championship, will loser fall out of the other bowl games aloted to the SEC like the Sugar bowl which will be one of the semifinal games? Not quite sure how they determine who goes where..

Wonder how it will fall if you have 2 undefeated teams in SEC championship, will loser fall out of the other bowl games aloted to the SEC like the Sugar bowl which will be one of the semifinal games? Not quite sure how they determine who goes where..

They'll have a selection committee to determine the top four teams. The loser of the seccg could still be in the top four. I think the committee will also determine the other four bowl match ups that aren't hosting semifinals that year.

Last edited:
Hey
They'll have a selection committee to determine the top four teams. The loser of the seccg could still be in the top four. I think the committee will also determine the other four bowl match ups that aren't hosting semifinals that year.

The money now will be flying around under the table.:)

Everybody gives the BCS heck but they got it right 90percent of the time and with a 4 team playoff, i wish they would have took the top 4 rated teams in the BCS now you enter the human factor in it everybody will be raising cane, saying MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY under the table, all you will have now is the 5th team complaining about not getting in just like bb instead of the 69th it will be the 5th.

i do think they are overestimating the fan support for this thing.

i don't think that fans will be able to travel for a conference championship game, a semifinal game, and a championship game.

all on short notice. all needing time off to be requested. some of these games will be played in the middle of the week (1/1/14 is a wednesday this year).

oh, and all after santa claus does his thing a short time earlier.

but, i'll just do a pretend scenario for this year.

go to atlanta for the sec title game. go to the rose bowl in california for a semifinal game. go to dallas for the national championship.

how many warren buffets do they think are walking around?

Reactions: 5 people

i don't think that fans will be able to travel for a conference championship game, a semifinal game, and a championship game.

all on short notice. all needing time off to be requested. some of these games will be played in the middle of the week (1/1/14 is a wednesday this year).

go to atlanta for the sec title game. go to the rose bowl in california for a semifinal game. go to dallas for the national championship.

After a few years be like the super bowl, me or you want be able to get a ticket you will have to be somebody.:ermm:

I still don't fully understand this system. If you don't make the playoffs do you stil have any form of a post season?

if there is only going to be 6 bowl games it is going to ruin the pageantry of CFB.....i like watching the smaller bowls where teams like southern miss or even the 3rd or 4th best sec team makes a bowl....they should have kept the bcs and made the fiesta, rose, sugar, and orange bowls their semifinals

EDIT: I see gator said there will still be other bowls

Good point. I wonder if a teams geography will determine which semifinal they play in (west coast team more likely to Rose and east coast/south to Sugar) or if there will be seedings (1vs4 & 2vs3) or what.

It may be tough for a lot of fans to attend a conference championship game, a semifinal, and NCG all within about five weeks (as well as Christmas like you said). Heck, most sec fans would do whatever they have to to make it to two playoff games despite being about 10 days apart lol. Not so sure all the other conference's fans would though.

The title game is going to take on the look of a Super Bowl as far as attendance goes. Not that it's far away from that already.

After a few years be like the super bowl, me or you want be able to get a ticket you will have to be somebody.:ermm:

It's not like NC tickets come cheap as it is now unless you are high enough on a donor list that you can get them through the university, in which case, the cost probably isn't really an issue to you.

The only difference is that you've added at least one additional game for fans to have to travel to, and added two more teams that most years aren't worth of playing for a NC. A good portion of the time there aren't even TWO teams who are equally deserving of a shot at the crown. The past two years, the regular season has produced a clear cut team who deserves the title. However, thanks to people's need to see it "settled on the field" we've watched Alabama win two more national titles that they had no business playing for in the first place.

The title game is going to take on the look of a Super Bowl as far as attendance goes. Not that it's far away from that already.

maybe i am wrong, but i don't think it's like that yet.

there are people who go to the super bowl who don't care about the teams or the game. it's an event. including all the parties and hoopla during the week.

i still get the sense that the vast majority of fans at the bcs championship game were die hard notre dame and alabama fans (this season). maybe, die hards with money, but still die hards. fans who cared about the game and the outcome more than any artificial crap surrounding the game.

if they are going to fill seats, especially for the semifinals, they better create a super bowl like situation or they will have major attendance issues

jmo

this whole thing is going be worse than the bcs especially when we get left out of the playoff being undefeated or only having 1 loss. wait and see, Tennessee was over looked many times long ago in many things when having committees choose who plays. or wins what.

maybe i am wrong, but i don't think it's like that yet.

there are people who go to the super bowl who don't care about the teams or the game. it's an event. including all the parties and hoopla during the week.

i still get the sense that the vast majority of fans at the bcs championship game were die hard notre dame and alabama fans (this season). maybe, die hards with money, but still die hards. fans who cared about the game and the outcome more than any artificial crap surrounding the game.

if they are going to fill seats, especially for the semifinals, they better create a super bowl like situation or they will have major attendance issues

jmo

I've read stories about empty seats, extra tickets, etc at the title games. I don't think there's any of the same corporate/celebrity hoopla around it yet -- which I'm sure means it's a whole lot more fun to actually go to, since everyone there is a fan of one of the teams. A friend of mine who's a Ravens fan went to the Super Bowl this year. He had to spend almost three thousand dollars for a bad seat, and described the event itself as weirdly subdued, since all the cheering was coming from the upper deck. It was strange watch his team play one of the biggest games of his life in front of a crowd full of people who didn't really care. The college title game has a long way to go before it's full of those guys.

I think the semifinal attendance will end up being disappointing. Many fans will have to choose between the two, and they'll hold out for the title game.

Reactions: 2 people
I've read stories about empty seats, extra tickets, etc at the title games. I don't think there's any of the same corporate/celebrity hoopla around it yet -- which I'm sure means it's a whole lot more fun to actually go to, since everyone there is a fan of one of the teams. A friend of mine who's a Ravens fan went to the Super Bowl this year. He had to spend almost three thousand dollars for a bad seat, and described the event itself as weirdly subdued, since all the cheering was coming from the upper deck. It was strange watch his team play one of the biggest games of his life in front of a crowd full of people who didn't really care. The college title game has a long way to go before it's full of those guys.

I think the semifinal attendance will end up being disappointing. Many fans will have to choose between the two, and they'll hold out for the title game.

just wait for the sticker shock when people try to buy airlines tickets in less than a week's notice

There will be six bowls making up the playoff rotation: the Rose Bowl, the Sugar Bowl, the Orange Bowl, the Fiesta Bowl, the Chick-fil-A Bowl, and the Cotton Bowl. Two Semifinal games and then a championship game each year.

2014 Season
Rose Bowl 1/1/2015 (Semifinal)
Sugar Bowl 1/1/2015 (Semifinal)
Orange Bowl 12/31/2014
Cotton Bowl 1/1/2015
Fiesta Bowl 12/31/2014
Chick-fil-A Bowl 12/31/2014
Championship Game 1/12/2015 (Arlington, TX)

2015 Season
Rose Bowl 1/1/2016
Sugar Bowl 1/1/2016
Orange Bowl 12/31/2015 (Semifinal)
Cotton Bowl 12/31/2015 (Semifinal)
Fiesta Bowl 1/1/2016
Chick-fil-A Bowl 12/31/2015
Championship Game 1/11/2016 (To Be Determined)

2016 Season
Rose Bowl 1/2/2017
Sugar Bowl 1/2/2017
Orange Bowl 12/31/2016
Cotton Bowl 1/2/2017
Fiesta Bowl 12/31/2016 (Semifinal)
Chick-fil-A Bowl 12/31/2016 (Semifinal)
Championship Game 1/9/2017 (To Be Determined)

Ready For The First “College Football Playoff” Title Game At Cowboys Stadium?

Here's a piece of an article from espn regarding the selection committee:

Obviously, the commissioners must still tackle their most arduous task: choosing who will serve on a selection committee that is expected to include 14 to 20 members, according to BCS executive director Bill Hancock. The commissioners hope the committee will work like the NCAA men's basketball committee, which seeds and selects at-large bids for the 68-team basketball tournament. Each of the 10 FBS conferences will have at least one representative, along with as many as four to 10 at-large members.

Determining who will serve on the committee -- whether it's current athletics directors, former ADs or ex-coaches -- and figuring out what criteria they'll use to select the four teams that will play in the national semifinals is the linchpin in the entire deal. If the commissioners can't figure out a way to choose the teams as objectively as possible using criteria like schedule strength, conference championships, etc., then we'll be right back where we were in the dark days of the BCS.

FBS commissioners take first step in making College Football playoff a reality - ESPN

Should be interesting to see how the selection committee shakes out. Probably gonna be a lot of bickering about who each conference's representative is as well as the 4-10 at large members. I'm sure there won't be any politics involved lol.

I really like how all the semifinal games are played on either new years eve or new years day instead of a random weeknight like most of the BCS games were. This playoff format is scheduled to run through 2026. Hopefully we'll be involved in quite a few of them under Butch.

I want A 16 team playoff with conference champs and other top ranked teams!

CBJ is the coach we need in place to take us there!! Regular basis. The mighty Vol giant is awakening.... Excited because of great leader now put together with a great program. GBO!!

VN Store

Back