Checkerboard Endzones

7IlikeOrange7

Gr8 2 B A TENNESSEE VOL
why do they not fill them in all the way.. ive seen what it would look like if they did and it would be alot sweeter i think. Just curious if anyone knows??

I'd say you're right Vol Aholic but I think that would look a lot cooler if they filled it in all the way but it would be tough to distinguish if a catch was pulled in the back of the end zone and things such as that

When we played on astroturf, I believe it was that way, correct me if I'm wrong. I seem to recall in band we could use the borders as two steps apart.

There's no way they could extend it all the way to the lines. If they did, every 3 feet there would be a white square and nobody would have any idea where the sidelines, goal line or end line was.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Feb 7, 2005 7:17 PM
Not to mention the extra work for the poor guy who has to paint them. I read somewhere that he uses a big wooden form and spray paint and that it takes quite a while to do both endzones.

http://utsports.collegesports.com/sports/m.../091003aaa.html

Could you imagine doing that on a 90 degree day with sun bearing down on you?? That would be rough...I hope he gets paid good LOL

It was pretty sweet when they filled it in all the way, during the astroturf field days.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Feb 7, 2005 7:17 PM
Not to mention the extra work for the poor guy who has to paint them. I read somewhere that he uses a big wooden form and spray paint and that it takes quite a while to do both endzones.

http://utsports.collegesports.com/sports/m.../091003aaa.html

if im not mistaken i believe thats what the person gets payed to do and im sure it aint a shabby sallary! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by 7IlikeOrange7@Feb 7, 2005 8:45 PM
i can see where it would be hard to see the lines with the white next to it!

Then we should outline the end zones with black.

*waits for donsarge to throw a beverage can at him*

I think the white blocks would be confused with the white lines on the goal and end lines. When we had turf and checkerboards the part that is now green was orange providing a contrast. I personally like it the way it is now better. It just seems more natural on the grass.

VN Store

Back