Chis Lowe On Chuck Benson

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
He does not think he will be retained by Bruce Pearl.

I've been thinking about this situation with the assistants and I believe if I were a new coach coming in, I would probably retain ONE assistant for the sake of continuity, but would probably clean house and go with people I know and trust well.

Sometimes a rather clean break with a lackluster situation is the best way to go. :twocents:

The new guy has to determine if he can develope a good relationship with his assistants and if they are on the same page and will work for the same goals. If the interview shows that to be the case, Bruce will prolly hire him. Otherwise and he probably won't.

I doubt that we can have 2 recruiting coordinators. With TJ being named as our RC, methinks CB ends up at Tiger High.

Pearl historically did most of the recruiting at USI and UWM, so having another recruiter in addition to Jones may not be that important early on. Pearl is the best at selling his program, so he needs to be the one out and about.

I would probably give Benson a year. He has a good relationship going with the the recruits we are currently going after and Pearl being a "In-yore-face-yankee-type" coach may need Benson to round off his edge a little bit in the southern sphere of SEC recruiting. In a year Pearl will have had time to shake the SEC cage and then recruits will be calling him up and will he himself will be dipp'n snuff and watch'n nascar, but he will still need Benson then to hold his spit cup.

Is't the only reason Benson is a "recruiter" because of his father's stature in AAU. I don't blame Pearl for not keeping him if his father is really the one influencing the players. My instincts tell me he can't coach. We haven't gotten any better since he came on board.

If this gets ugly and personal between Pearl and the Bensons, who wins? I think Pearl will eventually say it like it is if they get in the way of UT recruiting and not just this season but down the road.

It's really not a good situation. I hope Pearl knows what he is doing.

So Benson's father is connected to AAU? How well connected? This could get worse before it gets better. Ilinois black-balled Pearl for reporting recruiting violations. With the pull the AAU has with recruits it could be dejavu with Pearl if he doesn't hire Benson. I hope that is not the case and that Benson would not use his connection to AAU as leverage. If that happend I would back Pearl to the end for not hiring Benson. I wouldn't care if it cost us Tyler and Gordon. The tail is not going to wag the dog at TENNESSEE!

VN Store

Back