Chuck Webb Cotton Bowl Jersey….NOOOOOO!

DOCTORLOOMIS

Smith’s Grove - Warren County Sanitarium
Out of curiosity Doc, what is something like this worth (practice jersey as you are alleging)?

The fact it’s been “doctored” just ruins it IMO. And I’m not certain it’s even a practice jersey. I’m 100% certain it’s NOT a legit Cotton Bowl jersey.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
The fact it’s been “doctored” just ruins it IMO. And I’m not certain it’s even a practice jersey. I’m 100% certain it’s NOT a legit Cotton Bowl jersey.
I don’t mean to put you on the spot as my personal antiques roadshow appraiser, but I am a Predators memorabilia collector, and I have often been offered practice jerseys for around $100. Is this a decent price investment wise?

Thanks Doc!

This is at about $100 bucks. Easily purchased as an item to wear, or hang as a curiosity. Agree that it shouldn’t be inaccurately listed though.

Did you report to eBay (assuming that would do any good)?

I am not disputing your claim, but the ebay seller has no bad feedback. I am not sure how that works, but he seems legit as far as buyer feedback goes.

I dont ever purchase any collectibles off e bay without secondary verification.

Just too easy for people to do what the Doc is suggesting.

I dont ever purchase any collectibles off e bay without secondary verification.

Just too easy for people to do what the Doc is suggesting.

As someone who regularly makes purchases from Ebay, I can tell you that Ebay will not stand for fraud on their site and all of their sellers know that. Every buyer is protected by their assurance program and sellers would lose their ability to make money using the Ebay site. Maybe the seller bought this jersey from someone who told him is was Webb's Cotton Bowl. Who knows?

I am not disputing your claim, but the ebay seller has no bad feedback. I am not sure how that works, but he seems legit as far as buyer feedback goes.

I do not think the seller is intentionally trying to dupe anyone. He simply has a bad item that he’s not aware of.

He actually does: he claims “game issued.” It absolutely is not.
Reading comprehension is your friend. Read. The. Description. Never says game jersey. Game team issued. Not the same as a game jersey.

Like I said sketchy description but it doesn't violate their rules

personally, if i thought there was ever a snowballs chance i could get that autographed, i would pay $100 or more for it. as hard as anything, even replicas are to find from that era, i wouldn't care if it was game used or not. but i doubt webb will ever be around here signing, so why bother. and i have said it before, i would probably need some good documentation from UT before I would believe ANYTHING is game worn that i did not see come off the players back after a game or maybe buy at the surplus sale.

Reactions: Raebo
Reading comprehension is your friend. Read. The. Description. Never says game jersey. Game team issued. Not the same as a game jersey.

That sketchy description makes it sound like it's a game worn jersey. If he was not Trying to pass it off as a game worn jersey then why even attach the Cotton bowl name to it.

Are you the seller?

It is clearly misleading.

Reactions: DOCTORLOOMIS
Reactions: Raebo and VOLnMiami
As someone who regularly makes purchases from Ebay, I can tell you that Ebay will not stand for fraud on their site and all of their sellers know that. Every buyer is protected by their assurance program and sellers would lose their ability to make money using the Ebay site. Maybe the seller bought this jersey from someone who told him is was Webb's Cotton Bowl. Who knows?[/QUOTE]

Tough to say. The seller may well not be trying anything sketchy. I just got back into getting stuff off E bay but was heavy into it several years ago.

I just personally always have gone for either Beckett or JSA when looking for autographed stuff.

Helps with the resale value as well if you're looking to flip something down the road.

This is NOT a team issued Cotton Bowl jersey. Check photos yourself: the jersey fabric is completely wrong and the shoulder fabric is wrong too. This is a practice jersey that's been patched up and doctored to appear legitimate. It is not. Stay away Vol fans. Someone is about to be taken.

orig. 1990 CHUCK WEBB TENNESSEE COTTON BOWL COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM ISSUED JERSEY | eBay

Thanks Doc. I am not into collecting sports memorabilia but I always enjoy your posts since I do think the hobby is interesting.

VN Store

Back